Why am I INFJ instead of something else? | INFJ Forum

Why am I INFJ instead of something else?

Discussion in 'Psychology and MBTI' started by Jschar99, Nov 14, 2016.

Share This Page

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 2 users.
More threads by Jschar99
  1. Jschar99

Jschar99 Lucky

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFP?
    Enneagram:
    Has anyone wondered why we develop the personality that we do? For example, I am INFJ (Ni Fe Ti Se). My mother has strong Fe (ESFJ) and my father has strong Ti (INTP). Is this why I am INFJ rather than say INTJ? What I am asking is basically why did I develop this personality, and in what ways do external factors play in? (Would a close friend or family member dying increase Fi?)

Sandie33 likes this.
  2. ruji

ruji Well-known member

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    Because you were a terrible person in a past life

Bellosome, jyrffw54 and sassafras like this.
  3. sassafras

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    Good question! Theory states that you start out with a basic brain type with a processing preference which sets you up with your dominant function and inferior function which is, presumably, genetic.

Conventional psychology would say your core personality is basically set by age 7, so whatever influences on your brain type outside of genetics would probably occur before this age.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    ruji, Bellosome and jyrffw54 like this.
  4. Littlelissa

Littlelissa Well-known member

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    4w3
    I think type functions are probably likely to be a result of a mixture of 'nature' and 'nurture', environment and genetics. You have your particular genetic make up and then the various conditions of your childhood as well.

I have also noticed that a lot of INFJ's have had very challenging childhoods, INFJ sensitivity and the particular combination of functions could also be a learnt adaptation - to help cope in a challenging environment. (e.g. sensitivity/vigilance)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    sassafras and CindyLou like this.