KazeCraven

Graduated from Typology : May 2011
Donor
Aug 9, 2009
MBTI
IEI
Enneagram
6w5 sp/sx
Someone asks you what you think about a particular book.

You hadn't thought of this before, but you come up with an answer in less than a second.

Where did this come from? If you didn't consciously decide that this is what you actually think, can you really say that what you said is your opinion?

Don't think of a pink elephant!

You hadn't thought of this before, but you come up with an answer in less than a second.

Where did this come from? If you didn't consciously decide that this is what you actually think, can you really say that what you said is your opinion?

First response thoughts seem to be a matter of processing associations. When you're asked about a particular book, your mind quickly brings together many impressions/memories, thoughts, feelings associated with the book.

However, decided thoughts seem to take from between a split-second to weeks longer to form. In your example, I would qualify my initial answer as a representation of my impression of the book. But if I wanted to give a definite answer, I would read it, and do some background research on the history of the subject matter and the author - as well as pondering the probable intention of the book.

personally for me... in theory upon being asked said question:

1- it will take a few seconds for my brain to find the relevance of the question
2- i will begin to slowly tell my actual thoughts on the book
3- something kicks in as i realize no one understands the depth of what i'm saying
4- then i get frustrated and resort to simple words like yes, no, good, bad
5- then i distract the person that asked the question, and run away quickly

there's conscious mind, and there's unconscious mind.... I'll say all of them is me, yet operated separately.