When no choice can ethically be decided upon | INFJ Forum

When no choice can ethically be decided upon

Darc

Jul 11, 2017
MBTI
Fi
Enneagram
4W3
Is perhaps letting nature decide then the most ethical?

I think the way I see it, I'm not sure there is always pragmatically a solution to an ethical conundrum facing us.
However, that might just be because nature has not offered the truly reasonable option.

In fact, I think a big mistake in a lot of relativist ethics is failing to appreciate this.... I tend not to sympathize much with the relativist ethics, beyond admitting that values can involve subjective and objective components both.... but I view ethics as about right and wrong, not about the whole sphere of possible value-assignments, and really to me, either you say there is no ethics or there is one and it's objective.

Basically, just because we are tied by pragmatics doesn't mean there isn't a way of rationally discerning what is an ethical state of affairs and what isn't.

I think the way I see it, I'm not sure there is always pragmatically a solution to an ethical conundrum facing us.
However, that might just be because nature has not offered the truly reasonable option.

In fact, I think a big mistake in a lot of relativist ethics is failing to appreciate this.... I tend not to sympathize much with the relativist ethics, beyond admitting that values can involve subjective and objective components both.... but I view ethics as about right and wrong, not about the whole sphere of possible value-assignments, and really to me, either you say there is no ethics or there is one and it's objective.

Basically, just because we are tied by pragmatics doesn't mean there isn't a way of rationally discerning what is an ethical state of affairs and what isn't.
Well that's sort of why I thought that, if nature doesn't offer us any fair solutions, at least in a way we would like to, I wonder if perhaps just letting nature have a large precedence or say in situations in perhaps the best choice then...

I suppose perhaps this is realism in a nutshell.

It's just that, as much as we can protect our thoughts and ideas on the world, can one ever hope to control nature? I feel like it's like energy being condensed, if it has no place to go...it will find another way or eventually explode. It cannot stay stagnant or sit still.

Darc said:
Well that's sort of why I thought that, if nature doesn't offer us any fair solutions, at least in a way we would like to, I wonder if perhaps just letting nature have a large precedence or say in situations in perhaps the best choice then...

I suppose here's the thing -- I think we're part of nature; so I think IF there is a best choice, we can comprehend it; if we cannot bring it about, then I'm not sure we can do more than "let things happen as they must"