What's your opinion on job assessment personality tests? | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

What's your opinion on job assessment personality tests?

I think they're a way for organisations to filter out people they don't want in their organisation

What do you think about them?

That much is certain.

As to the quality of those tests, there is one version with 80 questions/statements, which I find more credible than other versions, since it seems to be focused on general mental health and actual personality rather than on exploitation and worker bee mentality. The statements are e.g. "Sometimes I like to torture animals", "I think that my mother is/was a good person", "I prefer reading books over attending social events in my free time", "Sometimes I feel pathetic for no reason" and so on.

With regards to the other versions I've encountered, I find the Unicru version discriminatory and extremely exploitation-oriented, a true product of today's wild capitalism and endless exploitation of workers.

There is also one old version with 180 questions. The questions/statements are weird, e.g. "I like to dress provocatively", "I often dream that I'm falling/flying". I find that version outdated and useless.

I also think that some companies discriminate the candidates based on their introversion/extroversion score, which I find relatively unfair and I think it's not always the best way of filtering people.

Last edited:
FWIW, it is uncommon for corporations to use MBTI as a screening tool today. To the best of my knowledge, I don't know of anyone who had to take one before being hired in recent years, although I'm sure there are exceptions. You do get the occasional fuckwit who's obsessed with MBTI and happens to work for HR, but the general opinion today seems to be that it is not effective as a screening tool, that particular use is generally frowned upon, and possibly may be considered discriminatory, and instead MBTI is more commonly used for team-building exercises and seminars and classes such as "How to communicate with people who are different from you."

edit: and you usually are told before or during the seminars that the tests are voluntary and you do not have to share your results with anyone if you don't want to, and there's usually a trained psychologist talking to people about what MBTI is/is not and generally how to work more effectively with people who are different from you. Which can be handy in the workplace or in any job that involves people.

Last edited:
I also think that some companies discriminate the candidates based on their introversion/extroversion score, which I find relatively unfair and I think it's not always the best way of filtering people.

This is the biggest issue with the tests is the tendency to discriminate based on introversion vs. extroversion. I've gone to enough interviews where I noticed they were looking for an ongoing personality with lots of positive energy which means extroverted, bubbly personality because only those types of people can give great customer service it seems, again another discriminatory stereotype. maybe next time I'll prepare a circus act, then I"ll be seen as outgoing and energetic then. :D

Edit: I'm good at connecting with people one on one but but I'm not very "bubbly" so you could rule out a candidate by focusing only on their outward personality.

Last edited:
FWIW, it is uncommon for corporations to use MBTI as a screening tool today. To the best of my knowledge, I don't know of anyone who had to take one before being hired in recent years, although I'm sure there are exceptions. You do get the occasional fuckwit who's obsessed with MBTI and happens to work for HR, but the general opinion today seems to be that it is not effective as a screening tool, that particular use is generally frowned upon, and possibly may be considered discriminatory, and instead MBTI is more commonly used for team-building exercises and seminars and classes such as "How to communicate with people who are different from you."

edit: and you usually are told before or during the seminars that the tests are voluntary and you do not have to share your results with anyone if you don't want to, and there's usually a trained psychologist talking to people about what MBTI is/is not and generally how to work more effectively with people who are different from you. Which can be handy in the workplace or in any job that involves people.

I don't know if you're referring to my OP, but I wasn't talking about MBTI tests. Where I live personality tests are a common part of the hiring process, but those test aren't MBTI. As far as I know, they measure extroversion/introversion, neuroticism, agreeableness, tendency for planning vs spontaneity, openness to new experiences and who knows what else, but they aren't designed to establish the MBTI type.

Last edited:
I don't know if you're referring to my OP, but I wasn't talking about MBTI tests. Where I live personality tests are a common part of the hiring process, but those test aren't MBTI. As far as I know, they measure extroversion/introversion, neuroticism, agreeableness, tendency for planning vs spontaneity, openness to new experiences and who knows what else, but their purpose isn't to establish the MBTI type.

I was mostly referring to personality tests in general, including MBTI. I work in corporate america, and I've never had to take a personality test, MBTI or otherwise, prior to being hired, or during the hiring process, and most of the people I know haven't either. Rather, it is more commonly used with experienced employees/managers/whoever as part of seminars, classes about communication/getting along with others/personality based training sessions. That's why I said it wasn't very common where I live as a screening tool. As far as I know, it isn't. However, that may be different in different places. (And I do think they'd be pretty easy to fake if one is so inclined.)

I work in corporate america, and I've never had to take a personality test, MBTI or otherwise, prior to being hired, or during the hiring process, and most of the people I know haven't either.

Really? That surprises me. I thought that personality tests were common to hiring process in USA. Mostly because the most of standard personality tests that are used during hiring process where I live, were made in USA.

I find it ironic how some countries (like my own) have imported job assessment personality tests from USA and now they are regularly used here during the hiring process, while the USA obviously doesn't use them that much anymore.
It might have to do with the financial crisis and the unemployment rate. In countries with high unemployment rate where the demand for each workplace is extremely high, personality and IQ tests are probably used to swiftly pre-eliminate a large number of (potentially) unwanted candidates.

Really? That surprises me. I thought that personality tests were common to hiring process in USA. Mostly because the most of standard personality tests that are used during hiring process where I live, were made in USA.

I find it ironic how some countries (like my own) have imported job assessment personality tests from USA and now they are regularly used here during the hiring process, while the USA obviously doesn't use them that much anymore.
It might have to do with the financial crisis and the unemployment rate. In countries with high unemployment rate where the demand for each workplace is extremely high, personality and IQ tests are probably used to swiftly pre-eliminate a large number of (potentially) unwanted candidates.

I think the long term solution to eliminating them is having more jobs that are diverse enough to fit the different personality types so that no one has to feel pressured to squeeze themselves into a particular mode (barring bad attitude or poor worth ethic) to feel deserving of a job. I know I'm talking about extinct concept here, but once jobs move back to a model where it's not just about fitting in or making money but about job satisfaction then there won't be any need for tests like this because the job will incorporate values in the environment to make employees not feel like robots who are being simply used to get profit but treated as fully dimensional individuals who are a part of a larger community, who feel they can really use and develop their skills and talents for the companies they work. For now, that's not going to happen because jobs are looking for quick fixes. They don't really want to invest too much in their employees but they require more and more for their candidates to feel worthy of a job. Not sure how long that imbalance in interest will last. I mean, in the end, something's gotta give.

I think the long term solution to eliminating them is having more jobs that are diverse enough to fit the different personality types so that no one has to feel pressured to squeeze themselves into a particular mode (barring bad attitude or poor worth ethic) to feel deserving of a job. I know I'm talking about extinct concept here, but once jobs move back to a model where it's not just about fitting in or making money but about job satisfaction then there won't be any need for tests like this because the job will incorporate values in the environment to make employees not feel like robots who are being simply used to get profit but treated as fully dimensional individuals who are a part of a larger community, who feel they can really use and develop their skills and talents for the companies they work.

I think that's a very good strategy. I myself have thought about it a lot. That type of view can easily be perceived as idealistic in today's world as it would require a lot of changes, but I think it's not nearly as unfeasible as some people claim it to be.
It might take a lot of research, restructuring and time investment, probably even a state intervention (lol), but I think that the results would benefit the large majority of the population.

For now, that's not going to happen because jobs are looking for quick fixes. They don't really want to invest too much in their employees but they require more and more for their candidates to feel worthy of a job. Not sure how long that imbalance in interest will last.

Yeah, I take it that a breaking point regarding this imbalance must be reached sooner or later. Actually, I think it's fair to say that it has already been reached at some places in the world, if you take into consideration some broader negative impacts of corporate capitalism culture combined with other negative economic and political factors.
And, it seems that I've now officially unintentionally strayed from psychology to economics...professional deformation.

Last edited:

That seems a little surprising to me as well. I'm not sure why this would be the case -- perhaps it is related to the unemployment rate (??) I do think personality testing can be both ineffective and discriminatory when used this way, and I think a job environment that encourages multiple viewpoints and different ways of working is far preferable and more effective to one which screens out people based on personality tests. Most companies have a broad client base (ideally) and would want a number of different personalities to suit their various clients. All I know for sure is I never had to take a personality test prior to being hired or during the hiring process, and my co-workers didn't either. I suppose there might be some companies that operate this way but... presumably a person knows what job they are applying for, is somewhat familiar with the skill set necessary, and can tailor their answers accordingly? You would think? Oh well, what do I know.

I suppose there might be some companies that operate this way but... presumably a person knows what job they are applying for, is somewhat familiar with the skill set necessary, and can tailor their answers accordingly? You would think? Oh well, what do I know.

Yeah...it's not that hard to tailor the answers if you know the skill set that is preferred by the company for the job, and if you're somewhat familiar with the structure of those personality tests.
But sometimes it's not worthwhile to tailor the answers, I think... If the company was looking for someone who was willing and able to work a lot of overtime hours and if the test was to an extent based on that kind of filtering, I wouldn't bother tailoring my answers to fit the description because I'd know that if I did get the job, I wouldn't be able/willing to fulfill that kind of expectations and would probably be labeled as "rebellious", "less effective than expected" or something like that.

On the other hand, if I thought that I would do the job effectively/fulfill the requirements of the workplace, and if I really wanted the job, I would probably tailor the answers so that I don't get eliminated for being 10% more introverted than preferred, or something of the sort.

Last edited:
That much is certain.

As to the quality of those tests, there is one version with 80 questions/statements, which I find more credible than other versions, since it seems to be focused on general mental health and actual personality rather than on exploitation and worker bee mentality. The statements are e.g. "Sometimes I like to torture animals", "I think that my mother is/was a good person", "I prefer reading books over attending social events in my free time", "Sometimes I feel pathetic for no reason" and so on.

With regards to the other versions I've encountered, I find the Unicru version discriminatory and extremely exploitation-oriented, a true product of today's wild capitalism and endless exploitation of workers.

There is also one old version with 180 questions. The questions/statements are weird, e.g. "I like to dress provocatively", "I often dream that I'm falling/flying". I find that version outdated and useless.

If you want to be promoted to the top of the corporation then answer ''yes i sometimes like to torture animals''....this will show you have good managerial potential

I was mostly referring to personality tests in general, including MBTI. I work in corporate america, and I've never had to take a personality test, MBTI or otherwise, prior to being hired, or during the hiring process, and most of the people I know haven't either. Rather, it is more commonly used with experienced employees/managers/whoever as part of seminars, classes about communication/getting along with others/personality based training sessions. That's why I said it wasn't very common where I live as a screening tool. As far as I know, it isn't. However, that may be different in different places. (And I do think they'd be pretty easy to fake if one is so inclined.)

They are common

And don't you think its a poor reflection of our society that someone must fake it to make it?

If you want to be promoted to the top of the corporation then answer ''yes i sometimes like to torture animals''....this will show you have good managerial potential

I don't know if you're joking, but once I heard a person who had a lot of friends/acquaintances who worked in HR department and knew a lot of CEOs, managers and such, seriously claim that when some private corporations look for suitable people for top positions, they are deliberately looking for people with sadistic tendencies. I don't find it illogical. I'm inclined to believe that it might indeed be the case.

Last edited:
Reactions: muir
I don't know if you're joking, but once I heard a person who had a lot of friends/acquaintances who worked in HR department and knew a lot of CEOs, managers and such, claim that when some private corporations look for suitable people for top positions, they are deliberately looking for people with sadistic tendencies. I don't find it illogical. I'm inclined to believe that it might indeed be the case.

Erm.....i'm half joking...my humour can be a little dry sometimes

The answers to the sadism issue can be found on another thread thats hot at the moment about psychopaths:
http://www.infjs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27181

Well, they're not common enough for me to ever have had one to get hired despite years of working in corporations.

Wow so you give me 6 thumbs down for my posts on this thread because i said they are common!

They ARE common and i don't care how many thumbs down you give me

I am not the only person on this thread that has said they are common

They ARE common

So please tell...why have you thrived so well in the corporate culture miss 6 thumbs down?

I find your posts to be dishonest, delusional, bigoted and ridiculous. That's why the thumbs down. It's also clear you have little to no experience in corporations of any sort yet you persist in saying these tests are common, which has been directly contrary to my experience.

And I already know the reason you think anyone would thrive in corporate culture or any sort of capitalism whatsoever is because you think they're either Jewish or sadistic. I'm neither, and most of my coworkers aren't either. I feel you need a lot of thumbs down for your general attitude. Actually, you probably like the thumbs down so don't complain too much.

Lol thats 11 thumbs down you have now given me for this thread alone ha ha

You know what i think people need to thrive in the corporate culture? An aggressive nature....the predatory killer instinct