What's the Best Relationship Advice Anyone's Ever Given You? | INFJ Forum

What's the Best Relationship Advice Anyone's Ever Given You?

Sensiko

Permanent Fixture
Jul 24, 2011
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
What's the best relationship advice anyone's ever given you? What was it and who was it from?

"She's like a stick of celery if you've never had celery before, you only like her because she's different than the other girls you've been with. If you had 100 sticks of celery you'd get sick of celery too."

My best friend discussing with me why I was interested in the same girl he was interested in. I was pissed off at the time but it turned out to be true.

If you would consider reading a book getting advice then "Love, when sought out, is an ailment between the flesh and the bone. And only when youth has passed does the pain bring rich and sorrowful knowledge." Kahlil Gibran

Reactions: barbad0s
I've never really been given relationship advice other than my parents raising me to be kind, a good provider etc etc.

'Fuck it, dude. Your beard's too epic for that bullshit.'

Last edited:
"Don't do it!" - my entire platoon giving me unasked for advice regarding my first marriage.

"You gotta kiss a couple of frogs before you find your prince." ~ My ex..

"He'll be the one who stays when you tell him to go away." ~ My best girlfriend

I don't know if they are good advice, but they are the only ones I remember.

Ignore everything a man says and pay attention to everything he does.

your first obligation is to take care of your self. - my therapist

I only got this:

"Don't ever get divorced because you will just keep picking the same person in different wrapping over and over." - my mother

I understood why she said it and it makes some sense but it's not the best advice.

My Mom once told me the following...

Son, everyone has their own emotional baggage. Some just have a carry on whereas others have four piece set with matching steamer trunk.

Dedicated to all of the idealists out there -

Don't date potential. Date present.

Kiss her in the neck. Use a condom.

My father...

Also a typical one came to me when i was a horny and stupid teenager (now i'm just a horny idiot young adult technically anyway), as i was involved in that situation as many guys are at one point or another... bros before hoes.

Don't let the sun go down on your anger. -God

Listen without judgment. -Fighting For Your Marriage

They're just words. -my therapist in reference to him comparing apples to bricks.

Approach any discussion with gentleness and humility. Consider that your memory of events is not perfect. -Fighting For Your Marriage

What I have noticed as one of our biggest pitfalls is that we are overly irritable, reactive and hypersensitive when sleep deprived. I find if I get some rest I can let something go that seemed like such a deal breaker the night before.

I've gotten a lot of good advice over the years and the best advice has all been pretty similar. You are in control of your happiness. Nobody can give it to you or take it away. You make what you want in this life and that is especially true in relationships. If we are in a relationship that doesn't make us happy, leave. If we are in one that does, give it our all.