What's in a name? | Page 4 | INFJ Forum

What's in a name?

Carter?? Ewwwwww! haha That boy should expect regular schoolyard beatings.

Yes to Colin and Lucas. I always thought Vince would be a good name. Who's gonna mess with Vince?

Sophia, yes. I think I just released some dopamine just thinking that name.

I have to say- Carter is because I use to love the show ER!

These are names I like- I don't know if I would name my child that....I think I like a nice 'pretty' name for the first, and a meaningful family name for the middle. I don't like to think I'm old fashioned, but that's totally old fashioned of me!

In the future every child will be given a unique and meaningful name and then it will make nobody unique

In the future every child will be given a unique and meaningful name and then it will make nobody unique

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else.

Do you think your name suits you?

Do you know if you might have been called something different? And if so- have you ever thought about how that might have changed you?
^ This made me think.

I think my name suits me more now as I am older and have grown into my personality. I would've been named "Jasmine" and I think it would've been WAY too much of an ethnic name. I think "Amanda" fits me more. I think if I got my father's last name, it would have a MAJOR impact on how I was treated since it's a very well-respected Puerto Rican last name. However, I'm glad my name is what it is cause it has a nice rhyme and is easy to remember.

My choice of names:

Girl: Scarlet, Freya, Leona, Isis, Valentina
Boy: Remington, Sebastian, Hudson, Colt, Atticus

Reactions: say what
My choice of names:

Girl: Scarlet, Freya, Leona, Isis, Valentina
Boy: Remington, Sebastian, Hudson, Colt, Atticus

Out of those, Sebastian is my fav. I always thought Gabriel was good too. Strong but gentle. And Gabe is always a great nickname.

Out of those, Sebastian is my fav. I always thought Gabriel was good too. Strong but gentle. And Gabe is always a great nickname.

Yeah I would call him "Seb". I don't like Gabriel, it's too feminine for me for some reason but I do like Gabe. Idk I seem to like really masculine, strong names.... like Brock or Jax. I like the sound of hard syllables.

Last edited:
Yeah I would call him "Seb". I don't like Gabriel, it's too feminine for me for some reason but I do like Gabe. Idk I seem to live really masculine, strong names.... like Brock or Jax. I like the sound of hard syllables.

Heard that. Jax? Someone has a crush on Charlie Hunnam! But well, who doesn't.

I was friends with a VERY large, built bouncer named Gabriel, who also had a very kind soul.

Ya ever seen this one? Quick 1:25

[video=youtube;oo8CrY_ZfFk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oo8CrY_ZfFk[/video]

One of my sons is named Sebastian. I think he likes it well enough. I don't believe it has affected him either positively or negatively. His friends call him Sebs. I don't.

One of my sons is named Sebastian. I think he likes it well enough. I don't believe it has affected him either positively or negatively. His friends call him Sebs. I don't.

Exactly, how can you know? To study this objectively would be almost impossible.

Exactly, how can you know? To study this objectively would be almost impossible.

Some MBTI types seem more comfortable exploring abstract ideas than others. In fact they often have an internal barometer which enables them to guage things that aren't necessarily quantifiable in usual terms for example such intangibles as 'mood'

Their perceptions can hold great validity to them even though they might not be able to hold up a scientific instrument and say ''here i took this measuremnt''. This confidence can come from years of discovering whether or not their intution has been correct

Concerning the matter of this particular thread however i have no over reaching view; i would in this case tend to look more at each individual case and would need more information about the individual and their circumstances before developing an impression; speaking to the individual themself about whether they feel their name has had an impact on their life would no doubt be valuable information

Reactions: say what
Speaking of names, if you enjoy laughing your damn ass off, please watch. 48 million youtube users can't be wrong! (honestly, I think I've seen like 2 videos with this many views)

[video=youtube;Dd7FixvoKBw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dd7FixvoKBw[/video]

Reactions: Mechanist
I think it depends on the name.

If a girl is named Brittney, Heather, Lacey or other names unfairly associated with lower intelligence and bigger boobs, that may become a defining part of her ID. If she is smart, she is constantly defying societal expectations of her name. If she is unattractive, she's not living up to the expectation of her name... etc.

If someone is named Meatloaf, Jaguar, Kaymeryn (Pronounced "Cameron"), Anakin (sorry, Star Wars fans!) or anything else odd or out of the ordinary, I think that's going to influence their experience on this Earth quite a bit, at least socially speaking. This will not change personality per se, but it will alter the development of that individual. Their name automatically makes them different, unique, odd, an outsider... etc.

Names are a tricky thing. It's horribly unfair that some parents seem to be using their child's name as a platform for their own creativity. If you're going to name your boy Nathaniel, please spell it the traditional way, rather than Naythanyel (I'm not making this crap up!). Other cringeworthy examples: Breighanna, Izabellah, Mykal, Zakkary, Jaxxson.......

If parents stopped and imagined THEMSELVES with such names, I think the trend would taper off significantly.

Honestly, people should name themselves. Seriously. I know it's not feasible, but damn! That would be so much more fair.

If someone is named Meatloaf, Jaguar, Kaymeryn (Pronounced "Cameron"), Anakin (sorry, Star Wars fans!) or anything else odd or out of the ordinary, I think that's going to influence their experience on this Earth quite a bit

What the hell is wrong with naming your child Meatloaf? Lol.

Do you think if you had a different name, you would have turned out differently? Do you think aspects of your personality would have changed? Would you have experienced different things?

How much does a person's name make who they are?
If the name were really foreign to a country maybe it would bring stereotypes but I wouldn't guess anything else besides stupid nicknames that people hate to be called

Do you think if you had a different name, you would have turned out differently? Do you think aspects of your personality would have changed? Would you have experienced different things?

How much does a person's name make who they are?
I've disliked my name since I could speak, and insisted on being called differently. It has the word peace in it, and supposedly means forest god. So, it isn't about meaning. I do like peace.Later I found out, the parent that ruined my childhood chose it, which isn't helping. I have chosen a first and last name to change mine to, but unfortunately, my therapist suggests I should first accept myself with this name to proceed. Then I can do what I want. Ugh.

I'd say it matters.

Last edited: