What's in a name? | INFJ Forum

What's in a name?

Discussion in 'Psychology and MBTI' started by say what, Mar 26, 2014.

Share This Page

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 5 users.
More threads by say what
  1. say what

say what I like soft things...so soft!

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    5w4..maybe?
    Do you think if you had a different name, you would have turned out differently? Do you think aspects of your personality would have changed? Would you have experienced different things?

How much does a person's name make who they are?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. La Sagna

La Sagna Trying to become a butterfly

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    9 with 1 wing
    I have no idea if your name influences your personality even though I have read some theories about it. I know that I like my name and I think it suits me, but then again I've known people with the same first name as me and they had a very different personality. In grade four there was a new girl with the same first name as me so my teacher asked me if I would befriend her (probably because I didn't have too many friends myself). She ended up bullying me and tormenting me. She was not a very nice girl. I ended up writing a letter to the teacher to explain to her why I didn't want to be friends with the new girl anymore.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. floatingbridge

floatingbridge Life's a ride
    Donor

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    The Freakonomics documentary I watched this past year asked similar questions! :) Here's a sneak peak, that might get some brainstorming happening.

[video=youtube;UaU9vmL8i3Y]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UaU9vmL8i3Y[/video]

Sriracha and say what like this.
  4. Gaze

Donor

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFPishy
    I do think people are treated differently depending on their names. I think my name fits but I am not sure If I like that it fits. I think depending on how a name is said or pronounced can make you feel strong and powerful, or weak and vulnerable. There was a nick name version of my name that was used when I was young. Although it was fun for a while, I realized later that it wasn't that positive. I gave me a lingering impression I am not fond of. I still like my name but if I become a parent, I want to give my children names which reflect strength and independence.

5. tfg345i4u5lw

On Holiday

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    ????
    Enneagram:
    None
    I like this concept. It doesn't seem to be stressed very often in our culture but it has been used in other cultures. I want to name my kid Puma or Reef. Puma because I want the kid to be reminded that he/she is strong, humble, loving, independent, and fierce like a Puma. Reef because I want the kid to understand that his/her beauty is infinite, diverse, and can never be fully understood in all it's depth. It can only be observed and respected much like a coral reef. I think both names are suitable for males or females.

I also like the idea of being named after things in nature because it reminds us of where we come from. I think if a person is named after an animal or environment they are more likely to grow up with some respect for other life forms. They are more likely to respect the genius other creatures have instead of being narcissistic about the human race.

Gaze likes this.
  6. OP
    say what

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    5w4..maybe?

#6 say what, Mar 26, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2014
  7. La Sagna

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    9 with 1 wing
    Interesting:

8. rawr

rawr ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    IxTP
    Enneagram:
    human
    letters.

9. La Sagna

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    9 with 1 wing
    My name means 'wise' so I think it definitely suits me.
    :)

10. sprinkles

sprinkles Well-known member

Threads:
    MBTI:
    xxxx
    Phonemes.

11. Eventhorizon

Eventhorizon Permanently relocated
    Banned

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    INTJ
    One day having kids, I would like to think I could give them names that would cause them to think about their place in the universe and the fact they are in a universe. That earth is just a small part of it and that each person is a smaller part of a whole. However this couldn't go well with modern society that has such a hard time even considering change. Names like Nusakan, Nashira, Saiphi, Talitha...etc. Well thanks to small minded society would only serve to alienate the poor kids. Humans are so embedded in their ways.

Your world is small, your mind is as big as you can imagine.

12. OP
    say what

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    5w4..maybe?
    It's interesting....in some cultures, names are extremely important- they represent who you are, and can be a foreshadowing of you your parents want you to be. In mythical tales, names hold so much power- repeating them can bring the essence of someone to use...yet, we rarely think of our name holding some kind of dimension over who we are.

I often wonder if I would be different if I were named something else.

13. Eventhorizon

Eventhorizon Permanently relocated
    Banned

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    INTJ
    Something like, "What was that?"

14. OP
    say what

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    5w4..maybe?
    lol

or maybe something like... "HUH?"

15. Tin Man

Tin Man "a respectable amount of screaming"

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    INTJ
    Enneagram:
    N
    My first name means hero glorious hero, which is not at all suprising.

16. OP
    say what

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    5w4..maybe?
    I'm assuming you're referring to the sandwich hero, right? :p

bionic likes this.
  17. cvp12gh5

cvp12gh5 What a lovely way to burn...

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    Intui
    Enneagram:
    Thinking

This is the meaning of my name:

• Your first name of Lisa has given you a quick, analytical mind.

• You are creative, versatile, and imaginative.

• However, independence, positivity and the urge for action and progress are such strong forces in your nature that you find it difficult to control them.

• You feel happy as long as headway is being made, but as soon as you are obstructed or your individuality and freedom of action are restricted, you experience an intense nervous reaction.

• Moods of depression can result during which you become caustic and belligerent in your attitude toward everyone, especially to those in closest association with you.

• Routine, monotony, and the responsibility of looking after details can have a similar effect on you, as you are a person who desires change, travel, and new experiences.

• In order to gain greater congeniality in your personal associations, you need to cultivate a more relaxed manner, greater generosity, understanding, and tolerance, and, above all, you need to avoid being too outspoken and self-opinionated. The influence of this name can be very destructive to your health and personal happiness, even though it may take you far in business.

• You frequently experience nervous tension in the solar plexus.

• A sensitive stomach and ulcers could result.

• Also, ailments could centre in the head affecting the eyes, ears, nose, throat, or teeth.

Edit: here was another one...

Your first name of Lisa has given you energy, drive, and ambition, but also an almost excessively strong-willed and independent nature.

While you are creative, inventive, and ingenious in practical matters, and always ready to initiate and promote new undertakings, you often experience difficulty in bringing your undertakings to a successful conclusion because of your own changing interests or changing circumstances.

You become intensely involved with everything you plan to do, but the stress arising from frustrating obstacles or misunderstandings with others could prompt you to be intolerant and sarcastic in your expression, with breakdowns in congenial relations with family and friends a possible end result.

Any emotional outbursts or moods would register as tension in your solar plexus, resulting in nervous indigestion and related problems.

Tension could also centre in the head affecting the eyes, ears, sinuses, or teeth.

True relaxation and peace of mind are elusive under this name.

These descriptions are accurate.

I am sure if my name was Candy, Diamond, Anastasia or Ginger, I probably would have ended up being a stripper. So, yes, I believe that a persons name influences who they are.

Also, here is an interesting video on why names matter:

http://youtu.be/ZmDnfjCE1iQ

#17 cvp12gh5, Mar 29, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 30, 2014
  18. OP
    say what

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    5w4..maybe?
    Where did you find that description!?! It's awesome!!

19. cvp12gh5

cvp12gh5 What a lovely way to burn...

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    Intui
    Enneagram:
    Thinking
    Sriracha likes this.
  20. muir

Banned

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ