What YouTube Videos Are You Watching Right Now | Page 24 | INFJ Forum

What YouTube Videos Are You Watching Right Now

Reactions: Jexocuha and aeon

Indeed, humans are programmable. In a sense, they run code. The code runs on a basic hardware model. And the code can actually change the hardware over time. In this way, the mammalian nervous system is like a FPGA, and certain microcodes determine what can run, and how it runs.

Humans can also metaprogram themselves. This means a person can treat their codebase as data. They can delete code, install code, and modify code. This comes with great potential and risk.

Sometimes, life events, both ones purposefully chosen and others serendipitous, cause us to experience a break in execution, or reset of the entire system, where only the most basic firmware is functional.

It is important to take care what you expose yourself to, and what you will entertain. Others seek to run their codes on you, usually with the goal of modifying your behavior such that they increase their wealth, and in turn power.

It is even more important to take care what you tell yourself. Running metaprograms that do not contribute toward your well-being and happiness is a risky endeavor, especially because new code always runs atop old—one poor choice of code can corrupt functionality within and across life domains.

Cheers,
Ian

Reactions: Jexocuha and Elder

Reactions: Ginny

Reactions: Elder and Jexocuha

Reactions: Jexocuha
If you are looking for a reasonably-compact Android phone at the $700 price point, don’t even think about it. :)

Reactions: Jexocuha and Wyote

I'm glad I found this; I remember seeing this around 2012, when High Definition technology was gaining greater popularity and the technical properties of and definitions of what truly accounts for "high definition" and what doesn't. I've read Scott Billups books and have been aware of his existence since I was a junior in high school. He's someone who works in the Motion Picture & Television industries as a camera operator and technician. Only the famous of the famous understand who he is though - a media tech maverick, who has dissected and unveiled many myths and half-truths that circulate the web of artists and engineers when they talk about tech. He's worked closely with people like Douglas Trumbull, an famous effects engineer, and David Lynch, a film director, as a consultant.

The reason I really like this talk about HD is because it is not really about just HD tech. It's about how to get to the truth in defining what digital technology and true innovation is and what it means. It's about getting to the heart of mediums, the effectiveness of a given medium, and the importance of the message. How much of the media is truly the message? What is HD? (or now UHD). What do these terms(like "resolution", "wavlet compression", "digital vs. binary vs. analog", etc. mean to us, and how truly drastic are their effects on our information consumption and our psyches? What is a truly digital technology?(now this is a question I've really enjoyed pondering/ranting over for sometime; like, [true digital tech is more of a...] representation of media, a complete definitive abstract set/subset/node, that can exist logically and consistently separate from the actual medium/space that embodies it, and can still exist autonomously and proven as "true". e.g. an algorithm or metadata). The future is "virtual", and "truly digital", and this video holds personal historical significance to me; almost as a marker for stamping the beginning of a time and end of a time. Worth archiving.related

Last edited:
Reactions: aeon
I'm glad I found this; I remember seeing this around 2012, when High Definition technology was gaining greater popularity and the technical properties of and definitions of what truly accounts for "high definition" and what doesn't. I've read Scott Billups books and have been aware of his existence since I was a junior in high school. He's someone who works in the Motion Picture & Television industries as a camera operator and technician. Only the famous of the famous understand who he is though - a media tech maverick, who has dissected and unveiled many myths and half-truths that circulate the web of artists and engineers when they talk about tech. He's worked closely with people like Douglas Trumbull, an famous effects engineer, and David Lynch, a film director, as a consultant.

The reason I really like this talk about HD is because it is not really about just HD tech. It's about how to get to the truth in defining what digital technology and true innovation is and what it means. It's about getting to the heart of mediums, the effectiveness of a given medium, and the importance of the message. How much of the media is truly the message? What is HD? (or now UHD). What do these terms(like "resolution", "wavlet compression", "digital vs. binary vs. analog", etc. mean to us, and how truly drastic are their effects on our information consumption and our psyches? What is a truly digital technology?(now this is a question I've really enjoyed pondering/ranting over for sometime; like, [true digital tech is more of a...] representation of media, a complete definitive abstract set/subset/node, that can exist logically and consistently separate from the actual medium/space that embodies it, and can still exist autonomously and proven as "true". e.g. an algorithm or metadata). The future is "virtual", and "truly digital", and this video holds personal historical significance to me; almost as a marker for stamping the beginning of a time and end of a time. Worth archiving.related

❤️

had me thinking of use of wavelet synthesis in the ‘90s as a way to escape the limits of FFT additive.

and I was addicted to parametric curve waveshaping to get the nonlinear inharmonics which would bite, abrade, and leave your ear canals scrubbed clean—and then have the pink noise percussive break into Lexicon PCM-81 reverb for the deeper booms, and the ticky-tocky would be sent to dual-parallel channels of a t.c. electronic M3000 running the same program in each with parameter offset for thicker density on the early reflections, and better ambience on the super-short tails—and I loved to recreate Fairlight IIx aah1 via triple 6db bandpass filters in parallel, modulating the center bandpass to achieve the A E I O U formants—and this was all in hardware, no softsynths!

digital...I love you so...but I’m sure you’ll understand why I need a fully-discrete analog mono to hold down the bottom end. :D

Cheers,
Ian

Reactions: Wyote

I used to drum random things and was mildly interested in drumming at one point
Was reminded of this that I saw the other day, which gave me some childhood nostalgia