What makes an interesting conversation? | INFJ Forum

What makes an interesting conversation?

AUM

The Romantic Scientist
Feb 8, 2009
MBTI
Enneagram
4w5
I've been wondering what makes a conversation so appealing? The type of discussion that you could talk hours and hours over and not be bored from it.

What atmosphere would be ideal for such conversation?if any

What sorts of discussion have worked for you in the past that attracts the most people to listen to you?

This is an open thread, meaning that you may or may not answer my above questions and rather respond with your own interpretation.

Interesting conversations are those that deviate from the original topic. It's like tvtropes. You find something you feel is interesting, the other person feels the same way, and then there will be a small bit of information mentioned as part of the description of a topic, and this erupts into spontaneous interesting discussion that flows well from one to another but keeps going further into more unrelated realms.

Physical surroundings often play a big part. For some reason, the most gripping conversations I have taken part in have always been outdoors in Summer after dark. I've lost count of how many times a mate and I would talk until the sun came up the next day - the whole time swatting mosquitos.

I especially like lying on my back on the steep concrete driveway at home (which at night is still hot from the sun) and staring at the stars - and trying to spot satellites - while talking.

As for topics of gripping conversation - its always either something abstract or universal in reach.

As for company - I find that we guys can talk in a group, but if there is a woman present, it somehow kills the conversation. (Probably because we are watching what kind of topics we discuss too much - it's not the woman's fault as much as our own). Otherwise, one-on-one either of the sexes are equally good for conversation.

Interesting conversations are those that deviate from the original topic. It's like tvtropes. You find something you feel is interesting, the other person feels the same way, and then there will be a small bit of information mentioned as part of the description of a topic, and this erupts into spontaneous interesting discussion that flows well from one to another but keeps going further into more unrelated realms.

I like conversations that branch out. Conversations where the other person knows what I mean without having to really describe what I'm talking about. I love it when I'm talking about a theory, and the other person builds on that theory and we come up with a whole bunch of interesting scenarios that relate to other scenarios, that relate to other things unrelated to theory but that we all think are interesting....

This^^

I've been wondering what makes a conversation so appealing?
- I guess it's a way of expressing individuality. So, a conversation - that dialogue back and forth allows us to engage in an interesting dynamic with people.

What atmosphere would be ideal for such conversation?if any
- A coffee shop, although i'm rarely ever there. But i have an ideal image in my head that some good, warm, coffee, around a table by a window would be a nice enough place to shoot the breeze about different things. It's a relaxed environment and you can face someone when speaking to them.
- At night by the beach is nice. It's relaxing and peaceful, especially when there's not many people around.

What sorts of discussion have worked for you in the past that attracts the most people to listen to you?
- Usually when i'm giving advice, but that's not always good. When i speak for long periods (in monologue), i start to dominate the conversation which means i'm placing too much attention on myself or importance on what i think. So, i'd be better if i can engage one-on-one with someone while alternating between listener/speaker mode.

What makes for gripping conversation?
- I think a conversation works better with omeone who has somewhat mutual interests or similar perspectives. When i've had discussions with friends, it can turn quickly into an argument or debate over something fairly simple, because we're looking at an issue from different perspectives, and we don't have the same understanding of how a situation can be interpreted. Everything is subject to debate even when there's a clear cut response. It's gets really tiring after a while arguing over something which is already fact.

Last edited:
I like conversations that branch out. Conversations where the other person knows what I mean without having to really describe what I'm talking about. I love it when I'm talking about a theory, and the other person builds on that theory and we come up with a whole bunch of interesting scenarios that relate to other scenarios, that relate to other things unrelated to theory but that we all think are interesting....

Basically, if a conversation starts wtih a 'what if' or a 'let's say' it eventually branches out into a whole bunch of topics that everyone is interested in. I hate leaving people out of a conversation unless I can tell they'd rather sit out. I like to hear people's ideas and opinions, as long as they're not flat out attacking anyone.

I'm also pretty versatile. I'll talk to anyone about almost anything, as long as it's meaningful, somewhat intelligent, and I know enough about the topic to not be lost, or at least be able to learn. It also has to be respectful. I'm OK with debate, just as long as everyone agrees to disagree. This opens people up more, and they feel like they can trust me to listen to their ideas without criticism.

As for environment, I like having conversations outside, especially in low lighting. Something about bright and sunny days and conversation annoys me a bit. I feel calmer having conversations in low light.

This is a perfect description.^^^

I like it best when the origional topic is also the last.

The best intimate conversations take place in intimate settings, and I