What makes a person "cultured"? | INFJ Forum

What makes a person "cultured"?

floatingbridge

Life's a ride
Donor
Aug 21, 2009
MBTI
INFJ
Lately, I've decided to take steps to become more so.
So, in your opinion, what do you think makes a person "cultured"?

Reactions: Gaze
im sure someones going to trundle out a lot of super awesome critical stuff about culture existing simply as class identification, but here goes nothing. i think in an optimistic sense it means having engaged in sophisticated ways with large quantities of literature of all kinds including nonfiction and philosophy, and a lot of artistic products, particularly high artistic products, and probably speaking a couple of languages other than english. read everything academic you can get interested in, theres no shame at all in starting with introductory books. and remember, its not about being better than anyone else, its about admiring all the glittering ideas.

Although the word "cultured" has elitist connotations, at it's heart is an interest in becoming more aware of the world, having diverse interests, stepping outside someone's comfort sone, to learn more about the world including people, places, cultural products such as art, music, literature, etc. It simply means developing interests in other aspects of life which maybe you've never explored before.

I think it's difficult to tell soneone how to be cultured because what is interesting to one is not necessarily interesting to someone else. For me, being cultured may mean, having the chance to develop an interest in the arts, such as theatre including broadway plays and musicals, attend art galleries to see different styles or types of artwork, going to a musical concert such as a jass concert, attending lectures on literature and pop culture, learn more about world architecture, or learning new languages such as French, Italian, or Chinese, etc.

So, yeah, take your pic. Being cultured is engaging in aspects of your own culture or other cultures you haven't had the chance to learn or develop.

On a sidenote, I think the word "bohemian" is a better way to describe this rather than "cultured"

On a sidenote, I think the word "bohemian" is a better way to describe this rather than "cultured"

I think the right word for it is polymath. Bohemian describes a lifestyle that is particular in its disregard for social conventions, not necessarily the expansion of one's intellectual interests.

As to how become one, simply open your mind to whatever you come across, and develop the curiosity and the drive to research it and read about it.

You can start by the little things, like @invisible suggested, start with introductory books for anything that comes to mind. Maybe start with your own current interests and expand on them slowly. Research related topics, then the related of the related, and so on.

Also, don't give up when you can't wrap your head around a subject. It's the same as having your eyes see the light for the first time, it takes a while to get used to it. Before you know it, you'll be hungry for more! ;]

Travel. The more you travel the bigger your mind becomes the more you experience.

Reactions: Odyne
Eating lots of yogurt, especially the Greek stuff that seems a little too expensive for just yogurt.

French language, fitting in, travel, literature, art, being interesting and incredibly handsome.

Also you have to not know the right things - things poor people know about.

I think the right word for it is polymath. Bohemian describes a lifestyle that is particular in its disregard for social conventions, not necessarily the expansion of one's intellectual interests.

As to how become one, simply open your mind to whatever you come across, and develop the curiosity and the drive to research it and read about it.

You can start by the little things, like @invisible suggested, start with introductory books for anything that comes to mind. Maybe start with your own current interests and expand on them slowly. Research related topics, then the related of the related, and so on.

Also, don't give up when you can't wrap your head around a subject. It's the same as having your eyes see the light for the first time, it takes a while to get used to it. Before you know it, you'll be hungry for more! ;]

I meant bohemian because it represents the attitude associated with many who considered themselves "cultured". It was about exploring the world and developing interests outside of someone's own cultural milieu. Bohemian can also simply be a way of thinking, not necessarily a full fledged lifestyle.

A cultured person has a more sophisticated way of dealing with others. This is partly due to a superior education, which tends to broaden minds and open a person to more possibilities. But it also has to do with a higher level of concern for the dignity of others--and this is where our generation has difficulty understanding. The cultured person recognizes that most social conventions are designed for the sake of society and therefore gives them their due. For example, while a bohemian might say "I'll wear whatever I feel like, and damn anyone it offends," the cultured person says "What I choose to wear makes a statement about myself, and whether I am concerned for how I make others feel." Tact and respect for others are hallmarks of the cultured person. While a philistine might use the F word liberally, a cultured person will use it sparingly, or even not at all.

To be cultured you have to be exposed to and want to understand all aspects of cultural produce. This includes folk art, amateur art, fine art, literature, travel, food, clothing, philosophy, music of every kind and many more. I have had certain people claim reading lots of literature is being cultured, yes in one aspect as it simply gives the reader a bypass to actual experience, but one can be cultured having never read and in most circumstance the primary research alone gives more rich body of knowledge e.g reading about going to Spain versus actually going. Appreciation of differences and similarities is the goal of the wannabe culturist otherwise one becomes a 'poser', fucking 'hipster' or 'arm chair academic' as an air of superiority usually means a lack of culture.

the ultimate goal is understanding of humanity in both the rational and irrational way, it is not an attitude or level to achieve rather a result of interest.

French language, fitting in, travel, literature, art, being interesting and incredibly handsome.

Also you have to not know the right things - things poor people know about.

The most cultured people have spent long periods of time with the poor to understand their ways, actively not knowing anything is being anti-cultured or stupid.

The most cultured people have spent long periods of time with the poor to understand their ways, actively not knowing anything is being anti-cultured or stupid.

cultured does not equate to being smart.

Reactions: JGirl
The cultured person recognizes that most social conventions are designed for the sake of society and therefore gives them their due. For example, while a bohemian might say "I'll wear whatever I feel like, and damn anyone it offends," the cultured person says "What I choose to wear makes a statement about myself, and whether I am concerned for how I make others feel." Tact and respect for others are hallmarks of the cultured person. While a philistine might use the F word liberally, a cultured person will use it sparingly, or even not at all.

Exactly. This is why I don't think "bohemian" is the correct way to describe it, other than give it a romantic and a fanciful streak.

To be cultured you have to be exposed to and want to understand all aspects of cultural produce. This includes folk art, amateur art, fine art, literature, travel, food, clothing, philosophy, music of every kind and many more. I have had certain people claim reading lots of literature is being cultured, yes in one aspect as it simply gives the reader a bypass to actual experience, but one can be cultured having never read and in most circumstance the primary research alone gives more rich body of knowledge e.g reading about going to Spain versus actually going. Appreciation of differences and similarities is the goal of the wannabe culturist otherwise one becomes a 'poser', fucking 'hipster' or 'arm chair academic' as an air of superiority usually means a lack of culture.

the ultimate goal is understanding of humanity in both the rational and irrational way, it is not an attitude or level to achieve rather a result of interest.

You make good points. Especially, the last bit.

far better to pursue things that interest you and not worry whether that measures up to being cultured or not.
it seems to me it's only relevant when there is someone 'uncultured' to compare oneself to.

Lately, I've decided to take steps to become more so. So, in your opinion, what do you think makes a person "cultured"?

The word "culture" comes from the Latin word "colere" which was used in the field of agriculture. It literally means "to cultivate", that is to cultivate the field. So all you have to do is to find something which you would like to cultivate: poetry, travelling, your dealing with others, cooking, mechanical stuff, code programming, knowledge etc.

I think if you do that cultivation in a variety of fields, the most important ones being a) how you deal with others b) knowledge or thinking c) a specific craft and d) experience then I think you will reach the point you are seeking.

It's certainly not enough to do it in one field. I know people who have developed a fine taste for a certain programming language, but are boars otherwise. Or very fine people, but haven't read a single book.

The more deep sea diving you do, the better...

no just kidding.

Well, what is cultured...I suppose that is a rather subjective topic.