[INFJ] - What job would be good for me based on these characteristics? | INFJ Forum

[INFJ] What job would be good for me based on these characteristics?

Mdavis2

One
Aug 19, 2015
MBTI
INFJ
Hello,

I am a recent university graduate who is struggling to figure out to do with my life. I have listed below a short bio, the tasks/skills I enjoy and my interests. Thank you all in advance for taking the time to help me!

Additional information about me: I studied rhetoric at a small liberal arts college in the midwest. I studied abroad in the UK and Ireland during my senior year and loved my time studying literature on location. I currently work in marketing at a large B2B company, but feel that my work lacks purpose and meaning. I am struggling to find a balance between the rationality of having a career in which I can support a future family that I would like to start with my wife, and choosing a career path that appears less practical, but would ultimately be more fufilling.

Skills:

Writing
Researching
Gathering information
Communicating information
Teaching
Counseling
Advising
Learning
Idea generation
Analyzing information
Planning

Interests:

History
Higher Education
Culture
Literature
Critical and Cultural theory
Spirituality
Religion
Media
Film
Myth
Rhetoric
Ideology
Behavior
Social Movements
Art
Travel

Thank you all in advance for your support and advice.

Matthew

Whatever your heart wills m8. I went into Music Production and Sound Design, trying to be a "responsible young man with a serious degree and a serious wife with a stable job and being respect by everyone" made me irrationally anxious.

Keep in mind that everyone our age has or had absolutely no idea what career to follow and most did not figure that out the way you try to.

As for the purpose thing, find one of your own. What do you wish to impact with your work? I am,for example, inspired by the ability to inspire, motivate and give joy to those around me and thus I wish to do this in order to impact as much people as possible.

Last edited:
Tisk-tisk. Imagine an Olympic runner. All his/her life, there was training. Ever since childhood, the idea was "win a gold medal".... one day, he/she wins. After that, what's next? This is one of the sad things about young people. You think you need one goal to find fulfillment. Do many things throughout your life. And on top of that, don't define your life by what you do. You're putting your self worth in something that can be taken away. If football is your life and you suddenly damage your back permanently, what's left of your life?

Do many things, life is short. You're not going to find the meaning of your short existence doing some career. A career is great, but that's not the endgame or pinnacle of life.

When you die, (being a bit morbid here) what do you want people to say of you? What legacy would you like?

Do it all.

Oh and.. stop being so afraid to step out. If you fail, you fail. It's not the end of the world.

Last edited:
Reactions: Caitlin
Your skill set suggests you'd be good in Communications, Journalism - Travel Writer or Author, Academia (Professor) if you have a Masters in Communication or Media, Teaching English, Media Studies or Literature in high school, or start your own Ad/Marketing Communications firm so that you have more autonomy and creativity.

Your best bet is to start a blog where people can sample your style and you can explore your interests. Incorporate all your experience, background, and education to give everyone a taste of the things you would do or write about. Become a critic commenting on social or media criticism. You can create Youtube videos to explore some of your interests and see if it connects with people. Nothing tried, nothing gained.

I have a similar background so I understand the difficulty in choosing a path, when you have diverse knowledge and eclectic interests. However, since your knowledge and experience is firmly in the humanities, explore your options there first and then branch out.

[MENTION=14081]Mdavis2[/MENTION], Hope you find the answers you're looking for and forgive the potentially harsh tone in my last post. You sound more than able to go in any direction.

It might be that you need to have an ultimate career goal in 2 or 3 jobs' time ie you need some stepping stones to get there. If you are good at marketing consider finding charity work or marketing for an institution that you really believe in. Or apply to newspapers/book publishers so you are in a field you are passionate about.
Alternatively do a postgrad & become a history teacher!

Tisk-tisk. Imagine an Olympic runner. All his/her life, there was training. Ever since childhood, the idea was "win a gold medal".... one day, he/she wins. After that, what's next? This is one of the sad things about young people. You think you need one goal to find fulfillment. Do many things throughout your life. And on top of that, don't define your life by what you do. You're putting your self worth in something that can be taken away. If football is your life and you suddenly damage your back permanently, what's left of your life?

Do many things, life is short. You're not going to find the meaning of your short existence doing some career. A career is great, but that's not the endgame or pinnacle of life.

When you die, (being a bit morbid here) what do you want people to say of you? What legacy would you like?

Do it all.

Oh and.. stop being so afraid to step out. If you fail, you fail. It's not the end of the world.

I second this. All of this.

In my early 20s, I was career oriented. It didn't work. I tried other things... they didn't work. I failed and I failed often. I didn't even have a job for a while, while some of my best friends were getting situated on career paths. The constant "what are you doing for a career?" was always there, like an itch below the skin. But those failures I experienced were lessons in disguise, and those lessons repeated themselves over and over again in different forms until I found the answer. The answer was to pursue my innate abilities, my musical talents. The thing I was born with, that I had always pursued casually, because the world told me to "get a job, & find a career" and that whole load of bullshit.

The point is, you have to go and make a few mistakes to figure it out. What are your passions? Specifically, what came natural to you as a child?