What is the opposite of logic? | Page 8 | INFJ Forum

What is the opposite of logic?

I don't think faith is the opposite of logic. Faith and logic seem to be belong to entirely different realms.

I do not think faith is the opposite of logic, either.

Faith and logic most likely do belong in different realms. So, I agree with you. I was looking at a person that has all but proved his faith. It may be a much older person that has been there, done that. I think acting in faith becomes their logical solution to things.

@Ren
I reject mostly all already entamblished shcool of thoughts in mathematics and philosophy. Its not about what majority say, but one can understand.
I think we are not able to separate ourselves from ourselves as beings. I think its the being itself realizing something about itself when it reflects universe or anything. If ones thinking says that "universe" is logical, its actually the mind percieving it so. It is more the way how the mind sees itself, when it says "world is logical" it actually saying in metameaning that "my mind is logical". We cant separate ourselves from ourselves. We see world how we percieve ourselves. Like art. The artist vision is mirrored to canvas. Our sayings, reflections, beliefs are what we are, along with the body-mind-soul.

if Mind is causal on its own right,
and Logic is part of mind.
Therefore logic is causal property on an mind.

Body-Mind. Neurosystem, brain, chemichals, hormones, muscles so on... Those are all things that are causal-things by defination. Those make ourselves as a being.
if Mind is causal on its own righ. Its own right, meaning that the causality is not bottle necked. Its multivariat, multifactored it has "undeterministic states", it has determistic states but those things comes with rules and principles. If there is rules and principles, then there is also cause and effect, and that is its own right. Mind is causal.

If something effects ones mind, it has changed from state A to state b. Ones mood for example, that is property of mind. That is causality, experienced by the mind.

If mind did not have "property of logicallity" it would not be able to see world as logical.

As I see it opposition to logic is logic, when it has too high view of itself. Opposition to logic can be instinct, or intuition. For example, Instinct gives you desire for hunger, but logic says it you dont need to eat yet, because of other benefits of fasting. Opposite to logic can be intuition, but all these oppositions versus schemes happend only when person is imbalanced some way. Instincts, intuition, feelings, and logic can be in harmony. In this case there is no opposition, even for logic.

Reactions: Ren
Opposite of logic is illogical...

"In critical moments men sometimes see what they wish to see."
giphy.gif

I do not think faith is the opposite of logic, either.

Faith and logic most likely do belong in different realms. So, I agree with you. I was looking at a person that has all but proved his faith. It may be a much older person that has been there, done that. I think acting in faith becomes their logical solution to things.

I've always seen faith as something that "reason" is not competent to judge according to its rational criteria. A kind of absolute commitment that has legitimacy as such.

Just watched a 1959 interview with Bertrand Russell, and his reaction to finding out that logical axioms were items of faith was pretty humorous! (He couldn't believe it, and didn't want to accept It).

Axioms = articles of faith, so yes you're right Vita.

Typically, however, the axioms of logic are based upon some other means of verification, like raw empirical observation.

Faith is intresting, because its complete trust to something or someone. If one uses "logic" to reason, then does one have faith in logic?

I think you're playing on two different senses of the word "faith". The concept of faith refers to something different and more specific than what is implied informally in the expression "to have faith in something". Usually faith means something quite specific in philosophy and theology.

It's a light example of equivocation, which is a logical fallacy.

But @Deleted member 16771 you seem to be saying that even Russell had to admit that logical axioms were items of faith... Would you mind sharing the interview? :)

Reactions: Ginny and Sandie33
I think you're playing on two different senses of the word "faith". The concept of faith refers to something different and more specific than what is implied informally in the expression "to have faith in something". Usually faith means something quite specific in philosophy and theology.

But @Deleted member 16771 you seem to be saying that even Russell had to admit that logical axioms were items of faith... Would you mind sharing the interview? :)

This is the interview. I would have to watch it through to find a timestamp, but it's during a part of the interview where Russell is talking about his first introductions to logic by his brother, so early on I think.

If you try google search: faith meaning. It will give you that at number 1 defination.

faith: complete trust or confidence in someone or something.

https://www.google.fi/search?q=fait...7j69i60j0l3.1845j1j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Modern "Set Theory" - is it a religious belief system? | Set Theory Math Foundations 250

"There is polite agreement not to look into logical foundations of mathematics"

Reactions: Ren and Sandie33
@Ren

If one says "faith" has no dictionary meaning, then what does it mean for you or you accept the dictionary meaning?

I think the important point here is not to say that faith - or any given word - has no dictionary meaning, but that it has several dictionary meanings, which are not necessarily synonymous with each other; and that one may be inadvertently (or sometimes, but I think rarely, consciously) playing with different meanings of a word like faith, in an argument supposed to only target one single meaning. From this follows a fruitful source of fallacies.

At the moment I'm reading an essay by Bertrand Russell called "On the Notion of Cause". (Complete coincidence, by the way). Here is the introductory paragraph of his essay: "In the following paper I wish, first, to maintain that the word “cause” is so inextricably bound up with misleading associations as to make its complete extrusion from the philosophical vocabulary desirable; secondly, to inquire what principle, if any, is employed in science in place of the supposed “law of causality” which philosophers imagine to be employed; thirdly, to exhibit certain confusions, especially in regard to teleology and determinism, which appear to me to be connected with erroneous notions as to causality."

And: "... The law of causality, I believe, like much that passes muster among philosophers, is a relic of a bygone age, surviving, like the monarchy, only because it is erroneously supposed to do no harm. In order to find out what philosophers commonly understand by “cause,” I consulted Baldwin's Dictionary, and was rewarded beyond my expectations, for I found the following three mutually incompatible definitions (...)"

This is very close to the point I am making about faith - but it applies to any polysemic word that exists.