What is reading? | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

What is reading?

I'm more interested in the physiological aspect of it, for now. Before jumping deeper, let's make it so that it's not a club reserved for a little subset of humans who use certain physiological functions differently from others.

I doubt the whole ongoing clash of elitism vs anti-intellectualism is simply due to choice; which doesn't mean it's genetics either, but rather certain early wiring.

Last edited:

I don't think any type of thinker is smarter then another type, just by being of one type. Every type has got its benefits and disadvantages.

Agree.

Don't you think that people's ability to read (speed,comprehension) is extremely dependent on who wrote the text, and what it's about? If the thought of the other person doesn't resonate well with the reader, he/she may read much slower, and with difficulty. Usually then they say: "it isn't written well". In reality, probably it isn't written in a way that suits this person, but may suit another one.

If this is so, maybe the whole very important problem about human reading is more about human communication again. It would also mean that there aren't really "well-read" people, because they may have read tons of books, but only those that suit their way of thinking, and generally disliking some other books / or ways of communication. (eg: scientific literature, or more artistic/personal experiences, which are part of learning too)

I was hoping someone here knew more about the process itself. I don't mean just high level analysis of the text, which WhiteWolf had in mind (if I got it correctly), but the technicality of how that happens in the brain and why. The process of a human brain reading a book is not like copying a file to computer's memory. It is much more fuzzy, unpredictable and random. /which helps us also to be more creative/

Reading is translation/symbology.
Language is a system of communication.