What Is Peace? | Page 3 | INFJ Forum

What Is Peace?

I don't think the flip side of sociability is war specifically, but you are onto something @Yoh Asakura
There's a mechanism or several interwoven into social structures and abilities that naturally create friction.

I don't think the flip side of sociability is war specifically, but you are onto something @Yoh Asakura
There's a mechanism or several interwoven into social structures and abilities that naturally create friction.

I don't mean it's the other side of being social as its not normal or typical side of our social nature, but that it's a part of our being social. The other side in so far as people tend to think social means we are just cooperative, relational, and bonding creatures and its society and other forces that make us act against this nature.

Yes, I'm just focusing on how human nature gives rise to our tendency to move towards conflict and friction, but I think especially, because it's in our nature to also be competitive and conflictual dependent on circumstances, wants, and needs there is no simple solution for dealing with the human tendency to move towards conflict and disputes, I think, technology, culture, law, religion, and morality have been our best solutions to this reality to date, make it unnecessary and disincentivize its expression, but you won't get rid of it by only focusing on changing things about society and politics and likely we don't want to completely get rid of our capacities for conflict and competition as they are a part of what it means for us to be social which @John K has also voiced.

Last edited:
I don't mean it's the other side of being social as its not normal or typical side of our social nature, but that it's a part of our being social. The other side in so far as people tend to think social means we are just cooperative, relational, and bonding creatures.

Yes, I'm just focusing on how human nature gives rise to our tendency to move towards conflict and friction, but I think especially, because it's in our nature to also be competitive and conflictual dependent on circumstances, wants, and needs there is no simple solution for dealing with the human tendency to move towards conflict and disputes, I think, technology, culture, law, religion, and morality have been our best solutions to this reality to date, make it unnecessary and disincentivize its expression, but you won't get rid of it by only focusing on changing things about society and politics and likely we don't want to completely get rid of our capacities for conflict and competition as its apart of what it means for us to be social which @John K has also voiced.

Gotcha. The way you worded it originally seemed to imply they were like two sides of a coin.
But yeah, I'm on board with what you're saying.

The trouble is that words mean different things to different people so they can interpret what we say in ways we don't intend. Love has such a lot of different meanings, but mine was directed towards caritas and agape. Like @ErikAlberto says, humans are a mixture of dark and light, and I fear that our social nature is also both dark and light as a result. It's rather intriguing this second of Christ's great commandments. The love it talks about is altruistic and seeks the good of others and wishes them as much fulfilment as is possible. If we don't love ourselves with the same sort of altruistic love, it's very hard to love others in this way. So much actual human love is of a different sort and is self-centred and can often be destructive. Even worse is the problem folks have who hate themselves and project it out onto others.

Yes, and I think it is difficult to get people to love themselves as if they were an individual they truly cared for in an altruistic sense and in a long-term manner of care. People are often ambivalent of themselves in these terms mostly caring to satisfy their desires and appetites rather than truly loving themselves in a sense of wanting the absolute best for themselves in non-conditional terms, especially men. If men don't feel needed, wanted, accomplished, respected, and valued depression, self-loathing, and self-destructive behaviors can easily crop up and ensue. Women similarly often want to feel their lovable, appreciated, understood, respected, and cared for and the absence of these things drive down the likelihood of self-love in the Christ sense or genuine appreciation. I think early childhood experiences, trauma, isolation, and abuse also contribute to the emergence of a self that does not love itself in the Christ-centric sense of the word. I think the humans that you're describing of the self-centered orientation isn't love as much as its narcissism or grandiosity gone awry that could be transformed into healthy valuing of one's person, but due to the absence of love, challenge, support, and discipline the gift of grandiosity becomes the dragon of narcissism which isn't really loving yourself but obsessively valuing an image of yourself as a means of coping with an unstable psychology that is prone to extreme lows, anxieties, and depressions. Narcissists fear that they're unlovable, horrible, evil monsters and to deal with this reality they need constant stimulus, attention, and gratification to sooth themselves, this kind of insecurity leads to a destructive personality that in no way should be characterized as love. Though, the grandiosity behind narcissism is not pathological but a gift that brings about human excellence and greatness when harnessed and disciplined behind skill, service, and virtue, our grandiosity is what is God like about man and one of the reasons why we have persisted to this point in developing culture, society, and technology despite suffering, pain, and the cruelty of nature that has caused 99.9% of all species to exist to go extinct. Our grandiosity and our "demonic" nature though attacked are responsible for our existing and thriving as species just as much as the better angles of our nature as Jung said, “In myths the hero is the one who conquers the dragon, not the one who is devoured by it. And yet both have to deal with the same dragon. Also, he is no hero who never met the dragon, or who, if once he saw it, declared afterwards that he saw nothing. Equally, only one who has risked the fight with the dragon and is not overcome by it wins the hoard, the “treasure hard to attain”. He alone has a genuine claim to self-confidence, for he has faced the dark ground of his self and thereby has gained himself. This experience gives some faith and trust, the pistis in the ability of the self to sustain him, for everything that menaced him from inside he has made his own. He has acquired the right to believe that he will be able to overcome all future threats by the same means. He has arrived at an inner certainty which makes him capable of self-reliance.”

I can't help feeling that the lack of peace in the world comes from a lack, or a distortion, of this sort of love. Where there is real peace, this sort of love is almost tangible, at the group level as well as at an individual level. I know what you mean in your earlier post about the behaviour of groups being more predictable than individuals and therefore maybe it's easier there to amplify or attenuate group attitudes and behaviours. Have you ever read Isaac Asimov;s Foundation science fiction series? I've always been fascinated by his idea of psychohistory which is central to this work - it's a mathematical theory for predicting the behaviours of large masses of people for centuries into the future and determining where the nexus points are - the places and times where small actions can switch to completely alternate futures.

I think so, but I think Jung was right in that we need individuation and integration most in modernity as I expressed, I think that what we're trying to deal with at the Indvidual level is our shadows and inborn grandiosity that uncultivated, undiscipline, and unvalued becomes the dragon of narcissism. I think that more than love in the way you're describing we need a new humanism that can make room for all that is human, good or bad, dark or light, to myself Christianity has helped create this climate of being at war with oneselfs. As a Jungian I think we need integration, because human beings have to cultivate, discipline, and value what we are completely, not privileging, repressing, fighting, or ignoring any of it. A lack of Peace in the world is in part due to our creating conditions that have turned us into little more than animals in an inhospitable captivity. Society is a zoo, and it is poorly designed for dealing with the entire complexity of the human condition. I do think there are other reason peace lacks. I don't think multiculturalism promotes peace, pluralism and acceptance does, but not multiculturalism. As @Wyote wrote there are many strands that are leading to these states of affairs, a lack of love, integration, individuation, society as inhumane captivity, the ignored sides of human nature, and social trends are all contributing trends. Yeah, we need a new shared culture and beliefs to me, a new religious age that I think Christianity will be a part of and once again transformed to be an even greater humanism than it has been. I do think you're on to something, but there is more to be considered, I really think that it's become more than necessary to really understand what it means to be human and to design a world that is truly human friendly. No, I actually have read very little science fiction only having read some HP Lovecraft. Psychohistory sounds like an interesting idea; I would just stress that the mathematics better be non-linear and stochastic, because for true accuracy of group dynamics you're going to have to account for the weight of the improbable, because as observed in actual human history, improbable things happen often enough for them to be significant across the course of human history, but cultures and certain human groups are fairly predictable in keyways:

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLPhN09a3G6_-igSBAadkkL4ViX0dUjDLR

But I'm pessimistic about applying theories to the masses. I can't help but feel that much of the unpeace of the world is brought about by lots of people attaching themselves without critical reflection to pre-fabricated and second hand social values as an act of (often unconscious) blind faith rather than a personally chosen path. I'm very much of the mind that such existential inauthenticity is a fault that leads to most of the human-created problems in the world. This is why I think that whatever could lead us out of unpeace must involve individual people making authentic choices for themselves rather than just going with one of the many flows. I don't believe that peace can be achieved by social engineering - I think this just replaces one inauthentic way with another. In a way it's the same argument about why it was necessary to destroy Sauron's ring rather than for one of the good leaders to use it - that sort of power corrupts and turns to unpeace no matter how good the intentions are of the wielder.

I completely agree and we're on the same wavelength here.

But thinking on a tangent, there is another side to this. Much of the energy in our world is brought about by a tension between polarities. There would be no electric power in our houses without an appropriate potential difference between positive and negative charges. Maybe it's the same in our societies, though in a less formally structured way. I wonder if there is actually a trade-off between peace and beneficial change - so if the world were completely peaceful, there would be low energy for beneficial social change. It could well be that we need some tension, some unpeace, to provide the energy for good changes. Of course, as with electrical power, too much leads to chaos and disaster.

Again, here we're on the same wavelength.

Last edited:
I think it is difficult to get people to love themselves as if they were an individual they truly cared for an altruistic sense and a long-term manner of care. people are often ambivalent of themselves in these terms mostly caring to satisfy their desires and appetites rather than truly loving themselves in a sense of wanting the absolute best for themselves in non-conditional terms

A proof of this is but one of the ultimate tests of personal responsibility—a diagnosis of Type 2 diabetes. All that is required is you deny your short-term desires and rewards and play a long game.

If men don't feel needed, wanted, accomplished, respected, and valued depression, self-loathing, and self-destructive behaviors can easily crop up and ensue. Women similarly often want to feel their lovable, appreciated, understood, respected, and cared for and the absence of these things drive down the likelihood of self-love in the in Christ sense or genuine appreciation.

There’s a sprinkling of human need here, but much of this is based upon narrow and rigid gender roles which are societal constructs, variable per culture, and not sex-dependent, as shown by the latest clinical studies involving neurodevelopmental imaging.

I think early childhood experiences, trauma, isolation, and abuse also contribute to the emergence of a self that does not love itself in the Christ sense of the word

It seems to, and was certainly true in my case. As with any- and everything else, self-work is required, and there is no quick fix. That said, it is possible to heal, integrate, and thrive.

I think humans that you're describing of the self-centered orientation isn't love as much as its narcissism or grandiosity that could be transformed into healthy valuing of owns person, but due to the absence of love, challenge, support, and discipline the gift of grandiosity becomes the dragon of narcissism which isn't really loving yourself but obsessively valuing and image of yourself as a means of coping with an unstable psychology that is prone to extreme lows, anxieties, and depressions. Narcissist fear that they're unlovable, horrible, evil monsters and to deal with this reality they need constant stimulus, attention, and gratification to sooth themselves this kind of insecurity leads to a destructive personality that in no way should be characterized as love.

This varies in presentation depending upon the type of narcissism present—grandiose or vulnerable. Both are toxic, and both see other people as supply.

I think Jung was right that we need individuation and integration most in modernity as I expressed, I think that what we're trying to deal with at the Indvidual level is our shadows and inborn grandiosity that uncultivated, undiscipline, and unvalued becomes the dragon of narcissism. I think that more than love in the way you're describing we need a new humanism that can make room for all that is human, good or bad, dark or light, to myself Christianity has helped create this climate of being at war with oneself. As a Jungian I think we need integration, because human beings have to cultivate, disciplining, and valuing what we are completely not privileging, repressing, fighting, or ignoring.

I fully agree with this, and perhaps more than I can say.

A lack of Peace in the world is in part due to our creating conditions that have turned us into little more than animals in an inhospitable captivity. Society is a zoo and it is poorly designed for dealing with the entire complexity of the human condition.

Bravo! Yes, this, so much this. We collectively reduce ourselves, and others, and do not recognize the higher self.

I really think that it's become more than necessary to really understand what it means to be human and to design a world that is truly human friendly.

So simple to say, and even to imagine, but to make manifest? Ah, to be human.

Best,
Ian

This varies in presentation depending upon the type of narcissism present—grandiose or vulnerable. Both are toxic, and both see other people as supply

I think what I wrote applies to both. If you disagree, then feel free to explain why. I'm always open to updating my thinking.

There’s a sprinkling of human need here, but much of this is based upon narrow and rigid gender roles which are societal constructs, variable per culture, and not sex-dependent, as shown by the latest clinical studies involving neurodevelopmental imaging.

I see, please share what studies you are referring too with me again always open to updating my thinking.

I think what I wrote applies to both. If you disagree, then feel free to explain why. I'm always open to updating my thinking.

No disagreement—I only like to be specific because I’ve experienced one of each. The core may be very similar, but the presentation can be night and day. One puffs up, speaks assuredly, appears confident, and is egocentric through demand of admiration and respect, and desire to control, whereas the other is fearful, socially acquiescing, never apologizes, claws come out privately, takes all, gives none, and seeks control via manipulation grounded in virtues so their desires cannot be openly challenged. Both see others as supply, but their ways and means are the differentiator.

I see, please share what studies you are referring too with me again always open to updating my thinking.

This is a paper that serves as a nice primer of sorts in terms of framework, and issues to consider:

Recommendations for sex/gender neuroimaging research: key principles and implications for research design, analysis, and interpretation

Cheers,
Ian

No disagreement—I only like to be specific because I’ve experienced one of each. The core may be very similar, but the presentation can be night and day. One puffs up, speaks assuredly, appears confident, and is egocentric through demand of admiration and respect, and desire to control, whereas the other is fearful, socially acquiescing, never apologizes, claws come out privately, takes all, gives none, and seeks control via manipulation grounded in virtues so their desires cannot be openly challenged. Both see others as supply, but their ways and means are the differentiator.

I see, I definitely agree I was only talking about how they are at their core in terms of psychology, but your differentiation is warranted, because narcissism and grandiosity could inspire one to think of the overt egotistical sort of person like Gaston in Beauty in the Beast, but Golem from Lord of The Rings equally applies to me as the psychology of a narcissist. Though the presentations are night and day Gaston and Golem are the same psychological entities just different expressions of grandiosity acting as a defense mechanism of an unstable and fragile ego. I had both in mind when writing on Narcissism being grandiosity gone awry but thank you for your elaboration and further elucidation. @John K has talked to me about giving examples and illustrations of the points I'm making, yet clearly, I'm still not proficient at doing so.

This is a paper that serves as a nice primer of sorts in terms of framework, and issues to consider:

Recommendations for sex/gender neuroimaging research: key principles and implications for research design, analysis, and interpretation

Thank you for sharing, I will read the article.

Last edited:
I had both in mind when writing on Narcissism being grandiosity gone awry but thank you for your elaboration and further elucidation. @John K has talked to me about giving examples and illustrations of the points I'm making, yet clearly, I'm still not proficient at doing so.

It’s all good. I suppose I took the message of “know your enemy” to heart, and I want to spread the gospel.

After all, they will wither you, and when they are done you will be but a dried out husk. Keep yourself safe, for their treachery is without limit.

Cheers,
Ian

Peace is an idea and an ideal which shall remain as such for all our days to come, because, on average—human beings are wildly self-indulgent in regards to their degree of willful hermeneutical ignorance. That allows people to be rat bastards without messy complications like a nagging conscience, and a later defence claim of “how was I to know?”

Cheers,
Ian

Peace is an idea and an ideal which shall remain as such for all our days to come, because, on average—human beings are wildly self-indulgent in regards to their degree of willful hermeneutical ignorance. That allows people to be rat bastards without messy complications like a nagging conscience, and a later defense claim of “how was I to know?”

Cheers,
Ian

Spot on.

I read the paper and found it fascinating and enlightening, but I would say it and I are at different vantages when it comes to the analysis of gender as I agree that it's a misstep in thinking to reason behavior can be directly or reliably correlated to underlying neurological realities, this is a point I also make on the first post in my blog on MBTI. I also agree that each individual is a composition or mosaic of classically gendered and sex specific characteristics of each sex and that gender expressions are highly dependent on circumstances this to me corresponds nicely with the Jungian archetypes more specifically anima and animus. To me behavior is more complex than gender. Yet, I'm one who thinks gender is largely due to male on male and female on female competition and cooperation to attract a mate as well as but less so and more secondarily to compete against one another that is males verses females, and though, I think there are not necessarily fixed or essential gender categories; I do think it's reliable to say that gender is not merely a social construct or the same kind of social category as say a mathematician, because it is partly just an inheritance of the consequences of mammalian sexual selection, because most dimorphic differences between human males and females come down to secondary sexual characteristics that don't prove to be overwhelming adaptive like men having larger bodies on average and women having larger breast on average. These realties are mediated through sexual attraction and what differences men and women have between one another seem to be there because of short-term and long-term dynamics in human sexual selection.

The section on entanglement was most impressive to me, and something I've been looking for a while now. Social endocrinology certainly has my attention and fascination, yet do I think that they again are miss applying their eye due to contemporary gender crusades. The focus shouldn't be on men in comparison to women. To truly understand gender developmental realities the focus should be on women in comparison to women and men in comparison to men, because this is actually going to make for the bulk of what directs the development of men and women across a social landscape given a woman or a man is going to be most readily compared to their peer rather than a member of the opposite sex, especially in a gender-neutral world.

Also, I would say that most people including academics work with an archaic notion of nature. Nature is not an immutable set of characteristics, but a general set of principles and initial conditions that determines how something can and will organize its existence, grow, and evolve across a multitude of circumstances. For instance, to me, it makes a lot of sense given human beings evolved to be social animals specifically to be condition more by social learning as derived by social dynamics than purely emotions, instincts, and drives that social forces would influence gender expressions and neurological expressions. This to me is not the news, but the true news is that nature is inherently plastic, but phenotypic plasticity is well documented across the study of animal evolution, I think we just now are willing to apply the same notions and principals we do to other animals to human beings, but I still think we're behind in these regards. Testosterone's expression should be at least somewhat circumstantially mediate as its related to competition and activity, since human beings actively compete against one another for social status and mates and historically male on male competition is most likely why men are differentiated to what degrees they are in terms of their physical morphology and overall levels blood of testosterone. I don't think it's beyond right to say the same is true of women as for millennia prior to the modern period keeping a child a live from aggressive and incompetent males and other mothers was a much more perilous activity than it is now.

Last edited:
In its essential core, peace is an ideology, much like perfectionism. It's idealistic but is it realistic on a societal level? No, unless the population is small and the differences among people are less varied.

Mark Twain
Shall we? That is, shall we go on conferring our Civilization upon the peoples that sit in darkness, or shall we give those poor things a rest? needs citation

Do they rest? How does one rest with starvation or hunger fighting one's mind and body? How does one rest when those around them steal their children and destroy their homes? How does one rest when one's village is destroyed and plundered? How does one rest when one's wife is raped over and over again? When one's crops are destroyed? How does one rest in the bitter anguish of war? How does one rest when pestilence and disease comes? Shall we, indeed!

Shall we rest in the hands of the giving, or shall we rest in the hands of the taking? Shall we ever rest on this earth? Shall we turn our heads? Shall we not teach? Shall we not love? Shall we not share? Shall we not administer aid to those who need it? Shall we not strive to help keep the world in some kind of order? Shall we not stop the thief? Shall we not try and stop the greedy?

Shall we make our very own people struggle? Shall we invite those who hunger for righteousness into the darkness? Shall we listen to words shoved down our throats?

Arise and stand, those who have found rest. Do you rest at the cost of others? Who are we to sleep? Who are we to down those who are not like us? Shall the ivory be taken from the corpses we kill, while the provider lays waste? Shall we buy weapons with the money we have stolen? Shall we build in our own lust, while others rebuild that we destroy? Shall we call those who try and help others "imperialists"?

How have we been treated by those who ask of us our own lives? We fall in the battlefield of pride and are run over by those who sent us. We fall in the hedges of hatred. We fall in the test of lust. We consume too much wine. We murder children. We murder women. We set ourselves up signs on the street corners, living from other's empathy. We take so much to make working feel useless.

Shall we deploy nuclear weapons against what the world wishes? Did we not agree with even China?

Shall we rest? Shall we?

Last edited:
I read the paper and found it fascinating and enlightening, but I would say it and I are at different vantages when it comes to the analysis of gender as I agree that it's a misstep in thinking to reason behavior can be directly or reliably correlated to underlying neurological realities, this is a point I also make on the first post in my blog on MBTI. I also agree that each individual is a composition or mosaic of classically gendered and sex specific characteristics of each sex and that gender expressions are highly dependent on circumstances this to me corresponds nicely with the Jungian archetypes more specifically anima and animus. To me behavior is more complex than gender. Yet, I'm one who thinks gender is largely due to male on male and female on female competition and cooperation to attract a mate as well as but less so and more secondarily to compete against one another that is males verses females, and though, I think there are not necessarily fixed or essential gender categories; I do think it's reliable to say that gender is not merely a social construct or the same kind of social category as say a mathematician, because it is partly just an inheritance of the consequences of mammalian sexual selection, because most dimorphic differences between human males and females come down to secondary sexual characteristics that don't prove to be overwhelming adaptive like men having larger bodies on average and women having larger breast on average. These realties are mediated through sexual attraction and what differences men and women have between one another seem to be there because of short-term and long-term dynamics in human sexual selection.

The section on entanglement was most impressive to me, and something I've been looking for a while now. Social endocrinology certainly has my attention and fascination, yet do I think that they again are miss applying their eye due to contemporary gender crusades. The focus shouldn't be on men in comparison to women. To truly understand gender developmental realities the focus should be on women in comparison to women and men in comparison to men, because this is actually going to make for the bulk of what directs the development of men and women across a social landscape given a woman or a man is going to be most readily compared to their peer rather than a member of the opposite sex, especially in a gender-neutral world.

Also, I would say that most people including academics work with an archaic notion of nature. Nature is not an immutable set of characteristics, but a general set of principles and initial conditions that determines how something can and will organize its existence, grow, and evolve across a multitude of circumstances. For instance, to me, it makes a lot of sense given human beings evolved to be social animals specifically to be condition more by social learning as derived by social dynamics than purely emotions, instincts, and drives that social forces would influence gender expressions and neurological expressions. This to me is not the news, but the true news is that nature is inherently plastic, but phenotypic plasticity is well documented across the study of animal evolution, I think we just now are willing to apply the same notions and principals we do to other animals to human beings, but I still think we're behind in these regards. Testosterone's expression should be at least somewhat circumstantially mediate as its related to competition and activity, since human beings actively compete against one another for social status and mates and historically male on male competition is most likely why men are differentiated to what degrees they are in terms of their physical morphology and overall levels blood of testosterone. I don't think it's beyond right to say the same is true of women as for millennia prior to the modern period keeping a child a live from aggressive and incompetent males and other mothers was a much more perilous activity than it is now.

I am writing to let you know I appreciate your analysis in each of the three paragraphs you wrote. Furthermore, I agree with each.

Cheers,
Ian

Rubbing cream moved the pain elsewhere. I could still stand, but my feet were aching with every step. Both hands started hurting. Neck was next, the right buttocks. Finally I laid on my back after massaging with
my hands and fingers with pain management cream intensely. Took two Tylenol extra strength, after fighting for a half hour laying as still as I possibly could, no pillow, on my back in the bed. Chose not to relinquish
the fight, and stood face to face with it. Closing my eyes, felt I was opaquely trying to vision the level 8 (to me) pain, trying to ignore it as I went. Chose to not allow pain domination of my mind. The fight went on. I tried
to absorb and embrace the pain, causing muscle spasms in both feet. A cramp can get one's attention. Never screamed. Had to push against the bottoms of both feet in certain areas.

As this moved into the second half-hour, walked as like walking on eggshells to where the carpet meets the wood floor. Grabbing both sides of the door frame, I pushed down on the conjunction for the remainder of the second half-hour. Time for more
Diclofenac Sodium Topical Gel, 1 %. Intensity was slowing a bit, but why stop fighting?

Found exemplification in the wee hours of a new day: 1ST through 4TH Chapter of Richard Chun's book, "Advancing In Tae Kwon Do". Exercised slowly through the motions for 2 1/2 hours. The fourth chapter was the one I was slowly going to: Meditation, page 39, shows where I then studied only the picture. I found the peace that passes all understanding.

To be continued........