Barnabas

Time Lord
Oct 7, 2009
Florida man
MBTI
wiblywobly
Enneagram
timeywimey
I think the title of this thread is apt, so here it goes.

What do you think Christanity is? Why do you think that?

Simple enough question right.

edit:

added a why to the waht to help get more in depth answers.

Last edited:
Christianity is the example of Christ.

A religion fabricated from the writings of Middle Eastern men who took oral teachings based on cultural myths and real events to communicate a sociopolitical message of the value of the patriarchal family structure in sustaining moral conduct essential to the stability of society.

Reactions: Skathac
Christianity is the example of Christ.

A religion fabricated from the writings of Middle Eastern men who took oral teachings based on cultural myths and real events to communicate a sociopolitical message of the value of the patriarchal family structure in sustaining moral conduct essential to the stability of society.

Why do you believe this?

Why do you believe this?

For the same reason anyone chooses to believe anything. Because experience has provided us with out own unique interpretations. Just as your personal experience has lead you to accept your own particular interpretation.

As such, what you believe isn't nearly as important as your ability to practice it and demonstrate the benefits it has to you and to the world.

Christianity is the belief that Jesus Christ is God, and represents the ideal for how humanity should live. The Bible, which is both the basis and the source of much of the confusion regarding Christianity, was written not by God but by men with issues and superiority complexes who were no more "divinely inspired" than any other so-called "religious" person.

I think that Jesus was a great guy and extremely empathic and spiritual, but I doubt that he is actually God. I think that he would be mortified by the notion of being worshipped by billions of people for thousands of years.

Last edited:
Does it matter what I think it is?

Yes it does, I'll admit this is mostly for me. It helps me as a Christian
to understand others by understanding what they think I may or may not be, correct or incorect.

For the same reason anyone chooses to believe anything. Because experience has provided us with out own unique interpretations. Just as your personal experience has lead you to accept your own particular interpretation.

As such, what you believe isn't nearly as important as your ability to practice it and demonstrate the benefits it has to you and to the world.

What experiences have led you to this conclusion?

Christianity is the belief that Jesus Christ is God, and represents the ideal for how humanity should live. The Bible, which is both the basis and the source of much of the confusion regarding Christianity, was written not by God but by men with issues and superiority complexes who were no more "divinely inspired" than any other so-called "religious" person.

I think that Jesus was a great guy and extremely empathic and spiritual, but I doubt that he is actually God. I think that he would be mortified by the notion of being worshipped by billions of people for thousands of years.

Why do you believe this?

What experiences have led you to this conclusion?

Just the experience of listening.

It's really simple. If you start listening, you will figure out real soon that what people say and what people do are often different.

Just the experience of listening.

It's really simple. If you start listening, you will figure out real soon that what people say and what people do are often different.

Who did you listen to? what did they say?

Depends. Every individual perceives reality differently because every individual has different circumstances.

What are the circumstances that led individuals to percieve reality and relate it to you through conversation that you listened to and led you to bring about your own perceptions about Christianity?

Reactions: the
What are the circumstances that led individuals to percieve reality and relate it to you through conversation that you listened to and led you to bring about your own perceptions about Christianity?

That is an awfully convoluted question.

I have had hundreds of experiences over the course of my life with people that have influenced my views of Christianity. All of those individuals have had their own unique set of circumstances.

If you would like a specific answer, then you need to ask a specific question. Asking broad, open ended questions is like a 5 year-old asking "Why" after every time their parents answer. I think you are just trolling.

Justin Martyr, attempting to explain to the emperor what it is that 'Christians' do gives some central characteristics of Christianity. The Emperor in question was Antoninus Pius, who was persecuting/prosecuting Christians. (Written about 148AD).

And on the day called Sunday, all who live in cities or in the country gather together to one place, and the memoirs of the apostles or the writings of the prophets are read, as long as time permits; then, when the reader has ceased, the president verbally instructs, and exhorts to the imitation of these good things. Then we all rise together and pray, and, as we before said, when our prayer is ended, bread and wine and water are brought, and the president in like manner offers prayers and thanksgivings, according to his ability, and the people assent, saying Amen; and there is a distribution to each, and a participation of that over which thanks have been given, and to those who are absent a portion is sent by the deacons. And they who are well to do, and willing, give what each thinks fit; and what is collected is deposited with the president, who succours the orphans and widows and those who, through sickness or any other cause, are in want, and those who are in bonds and the strangers sojourning among us, and in a word takes care of all who are in need.

And this food is called among us Eukaristia [the Eucharist], of which no one is allowed to partake but the man who believes that the things which we teach are true, and who has been washed with the washing that is for the remission of sins, and unto regeneration, and who is so living as Christ has enjoined. For not as common bread and common drink do we receive these; but in like manner as Jesus Christ our Saviour, having been made flesh by the Word of God, had both flesh and blood for our salvation, so likewise have we been taught that the food which is blessed by the prayer of His word, and from which our blood and flesh by transmutation are nourished, is the flesh and blood of that Jesus who was made flesh.
What is Christianity? Those people who belive in and worship Christ in the manner of the Apostles, and living as Christ as enjoined on his followers.
Why do I believe that? It seems fitting that the group of believers/worshipers who have consistently believed/worshiped in the same way since Christ was still on earth - and were the first ones nicknamed 'Christian' should characterise the term.

(I am deliberately avoiding the three c's in this thread ;] ).

Last edited: