What is an Adult? | INFJ Forum

What is an Adult?

Nixie

Resurrected
Aug 23, 2010
Oregon
MBTI
ENTP
This is kinda an offshoot of [MENTION=5297]Neverwhere[/MENTION] 's sex offender thread--or at least it got me thinking about this topic.

What do you think makes someone an adult? What about people not considered adults facing adult penalties under the law? Should we change our definition of adult?

My intial thoughts on the legal aspect.

On a legal level, I have problems when teenagers are tried and sentenced as adults. I think that it goes against the principle of laws in our country--these children/teenagers do not have the same rights and privledges of adulthood but are forced to face consequences as adults.

Also, one argument you hear often is about how you can serve in the armed forces, defend and die for our country (US) but still can't drink.

I think the hallmark of adulthood is the acceptance of personal responsibility. I don't know how you can measure that for a statute under the law though.

I think if you deem a 12 year old capable of facing adult consequences in a court of law, you have legally defined the age of adulthood. I don't care how horrendous the crime, we need to stand firm on what constitutes an adult.

This is kinda an offshoot of [MENTION=5297]Neverwhere[/MENTION] 's sex offender thread--or at least it got me thinking about this topic.

What do you think makes someone an adult? What about people not considered adults facing adult penalties under the law? Should we change our definition of adult?

It's a bit sticky because peoples brains tend to become fully developed somewhere between the ages of about 17 and 25 depending on the individual and roughly speaking. It really needs to be looked at on a case by case basis.

15 seems a reasonable age to hold people accountable for what they do.

When people pull the old "Your brain isnt developed enough until you are 25" argument is when I want to check out of the discussion. Its just so silly and unrealistic.

I agree that something needs to be redefined. I don't buy into the biological argument because it doesn't take into account the socialization/learned aspect.

For most tribal societies, there were rites of passages so that children clearly understood when they stood on the other side of childhood and were now adults. We have moved away from such important ceremonies in our societies or practice things without a deeper understanding of what they mean.

Are you an adult if you are married at 17? Have a child at 15?

Reactions: the
I think it's a tricky argument. Where I'm from, by the time we were 13-14, we were expected to be responsible for our behavior, actions, and morality, etc. Yes, we were living at home, and weren't working, but it was expected that we are responsible for our actions. Being a "teen" wasn't a thought at the time. You weren't allowed to think it was ok to mess up your life or anyone else's just because you're a teen. By the time you were 16-17, we were considered adults. 18 just confirmed it. But long before you turn 18, you were expected to conduct yourself as an adult. You weren't allowed to excuse or justify any form of supposedly typical teen behavior because you were still "young." We weren't considered or treated as young.

Maybe it was the time and era = 1980s-1990s. When I think back, I knew 15-17 year old women who were far more mature than a 25 year old "adult" in today's world. I think it's because our society trained us to think of ourselves as not young or as teens, but as growing adults. Personal accountability was taught from childhood. You were disciplined if you were believed otherwise. You weren't given excuses like those given to youth today to do whatever you want because you were young. But it doesn't mean, it was the best or a perfect system. This was just the norm for our culture/society.

Much of youth today is too often defined by irresponsibility while someone else, supposedly an "adult" takes the blame. I see people in college everyday who at 19-mid 20s are like kids. They have been taught that someone else should manage their behavior for them, someone else set boundaries for them not to cross. They can't do it themselves. They are like kids needing someone to constantly draw lines in the sand. They didn't have a foundation of learned responsibility. It's as if they were trained to be forever teens. They expected to be treated as kids/teens even in their adulthood.

So, cultural differences matter. Also the society I'm coming from was more authoritarian and collectivist, so there was a firm belief doing what was expected, discipline, and submitting to social expectations for behavior, conduct. There were not as many societyal freedoms as those provided in the US. Social responsibility was considered more important than personal freedoms.

Society doesn't want to tackle the real issue regarding children who commit offenses. If they did, they would see the importance of putting more money into child welfare/advocacy services which would create more resources for at-risk youth. Instead the gooberment slices money in that area and education.

If we moved to a state of preventative measure vs. residual we would see an improvement in our society. So here we are in our residual state of affair, trying children as adults. They are kids that didn't know better, didn't receive proper guidance, couldn't separate fantasy and reality. At the same time when a child is tried as an adult, the court system knows that this child could be a danger to society if they are found guilty. They do this to increase sentence time. Laws are designed to protect.

http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/juveniles-youth-adult-criminal-court-32226.html
Factors that might lead a court to grant a waiver petition and transfer a juvenile case to adult court include:

The juvenile is charged with a particularly serious offense.
The juvenile has a lengthy juvenile record.
The minor is older.
Past rehabilitation efforts for the juvenile have been unsuccessful.
Youth services would have to work with the juvenile offender for a long time.

Maybe it was the time and era = 1980s-1990s. When I think back, I knew 15-17 year old women who were far more mature than a 25 year old "adult" in today's world. I think it's because our society trained us to think of ourselves as not young or as teens, but as growing adults.

Yeah I think now a days there is too much encouragement to enjoy your youth and enjoy having no responsibility; almost to the extent of never taking on any responsibility in the future. I've even seen it here on the forums where people give advice the equivalent of "YOLO!"

i know a bunch of teenagers more responsible and smart than a lot of "adults"

Thread responses indicate that it depends.

My binary preference is you're an adult when you can make a kid. Whether you're adequately prepared by your parents/society is another matter.

Thread responses indicate that it depends.

My binary preference is you're an adult when you can make a kid. Whether you're adequately prepared by your parents/society is another matter.

Do you think that differs between males and females?

As a species, we are maturing less and less over our lifespans as we continue to self-domesticate ourselves. Contemporary human 'adults' would probably seem like children compared to our fully-matured hominid ancestors from long time ago. In light of this, I don't think the whole 'growing up' and 'adult' thing is very important. I would certainly like to see humans continue to move out of the jungle. But maybe I'm bullshitting you. Read: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neoteny

I guess I'll be an adult pretty soon here. But I will be abandoning adulthood as soon as I can.

I think its important to keep alive the inner child

Childlike rather than childish

I guess the issue in a legal sense is related to taking responsibility. At what stage can a person be deemed capable of being responsible for their actions.

I think its simplistic to say that teens are fully responsible because in reality our perceptions change over time. For example a child might think it is ok to kick a cat but by the time that child matures to adulthood they may have been kicked a few times themselves by life and might hold a more empathetic mindset

Young people are evolving their perceptions and for that reason i think they should be allowed a bit more room for error. What a shame that our capitalist society is not really interested in evolving peoples perceptions but more in creating the workers and consumers of tomorrow with all the neuroses required of a consumer culture

Adults are the big ones