What, if anything, do you fear? | INFJ Forum

What, if anything, do you fear?

just me

Feb 8, 2009
MBTI
infj
The question says it all. What do you fear? I'm guessing some here fear multiple things, so list them all if you can. We can talk later about the why's or causes after we have something to discuss. Anyone wish to list their fears?

So far, I am seeing the answers I suspected from this crowd. Makes me proud to be a part of the group. I see no fears "yet" of physical things, like the boogey man. Everything, so far, seems to be about feelings.

@hithere , it seems you are more concerned about what you do than what others may do. It seems you know your capabilities and realize they must be kept in check. I, too, must keep myself in check. Many people do, but it shows concern for others.

@MiiRxGe , It seems you want to treat others well, and believe everything you do will come back to you. I see concern for others and self.

@acd, valid point. However, it may be a sign of intelligence and understanding. Everyone must know the dangers of the www.

@Sometimes Yeah , I would ask you to prepare for the worst, BUT expect the best. Once knew a man who invited tragedy into his life by what he thought and talked about almost all the time. I believe fear can grow when nurtured.
A good read for us all: https://www.lisafitzhugh.me/writing/2019/3/6/tragedy-and-invitation . While it may not grasp your meaning in its entirety, it may help us all to see from new lenses.

@JustPhil , Uncertainty may be likened to walking on ice and the feeling we get when seeing water moving through the ice as we test the waters. copied"Water can occur in three states: solid (ice), liquid or gas (vapor). Solid water – ice is frozen water. When water freezes, its molecules move farther apart, making ice less dense than water. This means that ice will be lighter than the same volume of water and so ice will float in water." copied
Should we stay off the ice, we are allowing this uncertainty to control our actions. It is wise to test the water, though, should we endeavor. Uncertainty can be both good and bad, so a measure of uncertainty most likely resides in us all. It may not be fear, but rather part of our early warning system for survival. Maybe embracing uncertainty as part of reality would help us to not fear it.

As for death, I must ponder this awhile. Once again, we are all endowed with survival traits. They ask which of the two is the greatest motivating concept in the world: love or fear? I ask: love or self-preservation? A truck is speeding down the road and a child is in its path. With only a moment to react, we run grab the child and carry it to safety. Why? Love, I would suggest. If the truck is about to run over us, we jump out of its path. Fear of death, or self-preservation? I say the latter. More on this one later.

Fear can be used against us. Fear can be used to limit our accomplishments. Fear can be used to decrease our hopes. Fear is an emotion we do have control over most of the time. I feel our understanding of fear and how it can be used against us would help us to be more strong and more steadfast. And you?

If there was really something to fear it would be violence and persecution especially with a religious fervor with the intention of either displacing or outright genocide.

Can you imagine a life with absence of fear? No fear to feel,no fear to live, no fear to die, that would be enlightenment
Yes. I agree.
However, fear well managed does give enlightenment. When we calmly ask at the first twinge of fear, what is it that I'm afraid of?, we learn to use the energy from that twinge if fear to propel us through what we are in fear of.

End up being completely alone in a way that there really is no one in my life. I would be completely alone, invisible and forgotten.

I enjoy spending time alone even longer times, because of being introverted - rather talking about hypothetical life situation where I would end up being alone without having absolutely anyone (for example no family, no friends, no co-workers, no significant other etc. and in my case no co-workers or no family) in my life.

I know we always have ourselves, but we need other people.

For me personally that would be a situation of life and death... Already as a lonely person that would be lethal.

Last edited: