What does it mean to be spiritual? | Page 3 | INFJ Forum

What does it mean to be spiritual?

I must look into this phenomena which appears to be completely unique to religion as none of these things have happened in any other social structure.

It doesn't mean it doesn't occur in other areas. It's just that people follow a religion as some higher moral calling. People expect politicians to back stab, lie and start wars. They don't tend to appreciate when those things occur in their spiritual salvation, or when it drains their bank accounts, or is paid for in the blood of people thousands of miles away.

Spirituality bypasses all of that and just gets to the end result - no need for popes, bishops or preachers.

We have to remember that all religion (at least the ones I am familar with) do contain spirituality. In the case of injustice meted out in the name of religion, religious sentiment is coopted as a means of reaching other goals....it is a manipulation. In this case, far more injustice has been done in the name of economic development or consolidation of a temporal power base. Even in the worst of times, the forces of good and bad were in struggle. The good is generally celebrated and held up for example....not so the bad.

"I'm not religious, but I am spiritual" I've heard it said more time then I can count and have yet to see anything that defines a spiritual person. So maybe y'all can help me out here.

What does it mean to be spiritual?

"I don't believe in any religion, but I'm having trouble accepting that there is no inherent meaning to life and that my consciousness is the product of chemicals in my brain."

It doesn't mean it doesn't occur in other areas. It's just that people follow a religion as some higher moral calling. People expect politicians to back stab, lie and start wars. They don't tend to appreciate when those things occur in their spiritual salvation, or when it drains their bank accounts, or is paid for in the blood of people thousands of miles away.

Spirituality bypasses all of that and just gets to the end result - no need for popes, bishops or preachers.

What are the results? Catholic and Protestant Church's have outreaches to put shoes on children in Haiti and roofs on houses in Mexico, I'm sure that other world religions have their own ministry counterparts, but what do the just spiritual have?

What are the results? Catholic and Protestant Church's have outreaches to put shoes on children in Haiti and roofs on houses in Mexico, I'm sure that other world religions have their own ministry counterparts, but what do the just spiritual have?

In my experience, some people need the "spirituality" before they can move on to a religion. Without that, you get a lot of the Sunday-only crowd that think simply showing up at church constitutes their religion and spirituality.

Basically, what the "just spiritual" have is greedy and self centered (yes, I said it) BUT... they need to start somewhere. They need to get their own beliefs in order before they can move on to an organized belief.

And for the record - I'm technically a religious person since I follow an organized religion.

I think you two should move this riveting discussion to the "Morons debating Idiots" subsection of the Forum

"Spiritual" is "Religion-lite."
:m096:

I agree that different people actually mean different things when they say "I'm spiritual, not religious." Some mean they are not attached to an organized religion. Others mean that while they may be in a religion, they feel free to disagree with the dogma.

I have no problems saying that I am a deeply religious person. I love it all, from high liturgy, to keeping kosher, to pursuing Tikkun Olam -- healing the earth. I experience it as a total package plan -- remove the wrong card and the whole house falls down. But all of it is for nothing if it doesn't translate into better behavior: love, justice, mercy... I care very little about what anyone else believes; I care a great deal how they act. Religion is just a tool we can use (or not) to better ourselves and our communities.