What does it mean to be realistic vs. cynical vs. pessimistic | INFJ Forum

What does it mean to be realistic vs. cynical vs. pessimistic

Gaze

Donor
Sep 5, 2009
MBTI
INFPishy
What does it mean to be realistic vs. cynical vs. pessimistic. These terms seem to be often confused.

Where is the line drawn between too realistic or not realistic enough.

Reactions: Jexocuha and Quiet
people ruminate endlessly on the negatives of situations they intend to do nothing about. pick somewhere you think you can make a real difference and get to it. if that happens to be politics then so be it. otherwise take an interest but dont waste your energy getting cranky about everything else, its obviously just a bunch of missions to which you arent suited, and its not like youre capable of taking on the world. go to bed knowing you have done your best and get up to appreciate the sunshine and fresh air and try to relax.

Pessimism is when people think negatively with a narrow perspective.

Narrow perspectives are bad. Negative thinking is good, when used correctly (like everything).

someone told me that optimism consists in the belief that the potential for change in human nature is limitless.

so, do you agree or disagree with them and why.

Reactions: Jexocuha
What a great question...I often get told that I am cynical or pessimistic when i feel like I am just stating the facts of a situation. I see reality as a better chance of success because you can alter your plan for a better out come. But it seems most don't want to alter their plan or don't want to feel as though they have to work harder or perhaps change the situation all together if it's not working. They like their illusions because they make them feel good....illusions give them a sense of purpose and fuel a fleeting sense of hope .....they like the feel good of the idea phase but want nothing to do with the sweat and tears. I see sweat and tears as an equity paid forward to success. The trick is, I'm learning, is to pay close attention to the person at hand..if what your saying is making them edgy or fidgity probably best to pull back on the reality dose....it's a sign that they can't handle it....which has to be okay....kinda hard to except for us INFJ's.....that we can not save the world...we can only try (at times) to get the world to save themselves.

Then the question is asked: is personal belief stronger than the reality of the situation....can an ant move a mountain if he thinks he can or is an ant an ant and a moutain a mountain.

Last edited:
Reactions: grt$5vb
What does it mean to be realistic vs. cynical vs. pessimistic. These terms seem to be often confused.

edit because i want to revise my answer.

realistic is seeing things as they are
cynical is doubting things as they are
pessimism is worrying things will get worse than they are

Last edited:
Realism is the safe haven of the pessimist, begin thinking unrealistically and you'll find reality starts to get a lot less "realistic" in and of itself. I have noticed this in my own life, I used to be a pessimist.

Good question Carrie

Realism is the safe haven of the pessimist, begin thinking unrealistically and you'll find reality starts to get a lot less "realistic" in and of itself. I have noticed this in my own life, I used to be a pessimist.

I can relate to this. The lines between these concepts are pretty vague. I think that one's perception of reality has a lot to do with one's motivation, attitude and locus of control.

Pessimists tend to motivated more by safety and security- The glass is half empty
Cynics tend to have more of an external locus of control- The glass is always half empty because thats the way it is
Optimists tend to be motivated by growth- The glass is half full
Realism is motivated by the desire for truth. Realism is trying to be objective, pretty damn difficult, as everone is inherently biased and subject to process information through their schemas.

Take the glass half full/empty question. Both answers are correct because the glass is simultaneously half full and empty. Its just a matter of perspective. We see things as we are, not as they are.

I think all the isms can be incorporated and function together as well
For example- I normally use this 3 step approach when dealing with uncertain scenarios:
1) Consider all variables and all potential problems. Find the most probable outcome and the worst case outcome
2) Find a workable solution to potential problems and worst case scenario
3) Hope, pray and do your best

Our attitude has a lot to do with how we experience and shape our reality. Self fulfilling prophesies and the placebo effect are pretty well documented.
I've always found the placebo effect so fascinating. To think that you can give someone a sugar pill for a 'real disorder' that will cause a 'real improvement' simply by the power of their belief is amazing. These people are truly awesome!

Because you have so little faith. I tell you the truth, if you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mountain, 'Move from here to there' and it will move. Nothing will be impossible for you."
Jesus, Matthew 17:20

Reactions: Trifoilum and Gaze
1/2 of the glass is water the remaining 1/2 of the glass is air. The glass is always full from this perspective.

I actually watched a documentary (wish I could find it now) where people focused on the concept of love while water was being examined through a super powerful microscope and then did the same thing with focusing on hatred. Focusing on the concept of love changed the cells shapes to a more rounded and larger patterns while focus on hate turned them static and rigid. It was very interesting especially when you consider our bodies are largely made of water.

I think that pessimistic people expect to see negative outcomes to things. They probably caught onto a pattern that bad things happen when X,Y,Z happens.

Cynical is just a word that people use to depict realistic people in a bad light.

Realistic people are sensors and therefore always right.

1/2 of the glass is water the remaining 1/2 of the glass is air. The glass is always full from this perspective.

I actually watched a documentary (wish I could find it now) where people focused on the concept of love while water was being examined through a super powerful microscope and then did the same thing with focusing on hatred. Focusing on the concept of love changed the cells shapes to a more rounded and larger patterns while focus on hate turned them static and rigid. It was very interesting especially when you consider our bodies are largely made of water.

Its funny that you mention that, Ive been thinking about the fact that humans are largely made up of water lately and the what the possible implications in terms of energy could be. I know that sounds weird but Im not joking.

That's a fairly simple question to answer, a realist is someone who gauges the world by some standard and then interacts with the world based on the data he/she receives from that standard. A good example and then one your probably already thinking of uses statistics as standard to make decisions with the expectation of that the greater side of the percentage will hold true.

A Cynical person is someone who views the world through a lens of suspicion, constantly doubting his/her surroundings even when they are favorable.

Pessimist is someone who views the world as a set of pros vs cons, with the majority of things weighing heavily on the con side of things.

A Cynical person is someone who views the world through a lens of suspicion, constantly doubting his/her surroundings even when they are favorable.
Is it possible to be an optimistic and a cynical? To me optimism has always meant that you can think the darkest thoughts known to man kind, suspect everyone of foul play, and imagine all the dark possibilities, yet still, despite all that darkness... decide to hope that tomorrow will be better, brighter, and more beautiful. Maybe that just means I'm delusional, but oh well.

Reactions: Jexocuha and Gaze
Is it possible to be an optimistic and a cynical? To me optimism has always meant that you can think the darkest thoughts known to man kind, suspect everyone of foul play, and imagine all the dark possibilities, yet still, despite all that darkness... decide to hope that tomorrow will be better, brighter, and more beautiful. Maybe that just means I'm delusional, but oh well.

Cynicism, Realism and Pessimism aren't mutually exclusive. Cynicism has to do with doubt, Realism has to with odds, and pessimism and optimism have do with how you react o those odds.

Realism and Cynicism have to do with how you view the world, pessimism and optimism have to do with how you react to it.

Reactions: Trifoilum
Cynicism, Realism and Pessimism aren't mutually exclusive. Cynicism has to do with doubt, Realism has to with odds, and pessimism and optimism have do with how you react o those odds.

Realism and Cynicism have to do with how you view the world, pessimism and optimism have to do with how you react to it.

AHA! Life makes sense. Thanks.

Realistic - judgement clear of naive idealism and expectations
Cynical - projecting a negative past onto an uncreated future
Pessimistic - expecting the worst of everything, learned helplessness

Where to find the line is usually relative. In general, I think one is too realistic (pragmatic may be a better word) if you make yourself unable to enjoy life; likewise, not being realistic enough prohibits you from accepting things as they are and your ability to influence them, doing the same thing as ultra-pragmatism.

I read somewhere that being delusional is actually healthier in every conceivable way than being "realistic"

Reactions: Jexocuha and Gaze
That's a fairly simple question to answer, a realist is someone who gauges the world by some standard and then interacts with the world based on the data he/she receives from that standard. A good example and then one your probably already thinking of uses statistics as standard to make decisions with the expectation of that the greater side of the percentage will hold true.

I understand what you're saying but arent 76% of statistics made up or flawed?

I understand what you're saying but arent 76% of statistics made up or flawed?

Well, it would have to do more with using the statistic then it's accuracy.