What causes bring out the activist or defender in you? | Page 3 | INFJ Forum

What causes bring out the activist or defender in you?

So, all of us probably have some causes or issues we feel strongly about and want to fight for or people, groups, or other things we want to defend? What are these whether social problems or issues, mental health, economic equalities, environment, etc.

Anything and everything. I am focused on ending poverty and/or discrimination and hate crimes, basically the entire Sustainable Development Goals and achieving dignity for all.

Anything and everything. I am focused on ending poverty and/or discrimination and hate crimes, basically the entire Sustainable Development Goals and achieving dignity for all.
Ooooo I have to ask about ending discrimination/hate crimes its always juicy to find out people's rationale behind it. Whilst I haven't read an awful lot on this (Having come from your introduction I'm aware you may be a library on the matter :p), my understanding is that we are by our very natures tribal, and thus unless you manage to change millenia upon millenia of imbedded behaviour it is reasonable to expect a propensity of racism/xenophobia

Ooooo I have to ask about ending discrimination/hate crimes its always juicy to find out people's rationale behind it. Whilst I haven't read an awful lot on this (Having come from your introduction I'm aware you may be a library on the matter :p), my understanding is that we are by our very natures tribal, and thus unless you manage to change millenia upon millenia of imbedded behaviour it is reasonable to expect a propensity of racism/xenophobia

Yes, but all that is required is that you treat other people with respect and compassion and recognize them as people.

People centuries past learned this and it was their ideal, as it was people and civilizations all around the world. Cities tend to be better for that understanding, but France under the French Revolution got it and tried for it, Rome tried for it in Europe (more so under the Roman Republic than Empire). The Vikings actually from all evidence they are finding now came very close. The Ottomon Empire got it actually surprisingly well, or at least that it would be in charge of its own affairs and that people from other places and religions could do their own thing provided they followed certain rules governing social interaction in the marketplaces and public streets, and a lot of other things it said you do you on. Various Chinese and Indian empires got it or very suddenly didn't, depending on how open they were at the time, and there is evidence of a healthy trade going on from the Norse and Mongolia and China and Jerusalem, including people who just settled in either places and intermarried.

But more importantly, even if our baser instincts say to be cruel, it is important to overcome them and act humane and with compassion and understanding, because that too is a part of who we are as humans, and that is how societies form and form the best ideas of the future. Also from a laws of nations/original position (Rawls) perspective, if we can agree on that, we can build out from there, but first we need to agree on that.

Yes, but all that is required is that you treat other people with respect and compassion and recognize them as people.

People centuries past learned this and it was their ideal, as it was people and civilizations all around the world. Cities tend to be better for that understanding, but France under the French Revolution got it and tried for it, Rome tried for it in Europe (more so under the Roman Republic than Empire). The Vikings actually from all evidence they are finding now came very close. The Ottomon Empire got it actually surprisingly well, or at least that it would be in charge of its own affairs and that people from other places and religions could do their own thing provided they followed certain rules governing social interaction in the marketplaces and public streets, and a lot of other things it said you do you on. Various Chinese and Indian empires got it or very suddenly didn't, depending on how open they were at the time, and there is evidence of a healthy trade going on from the Norse and Mongolia and China and Jerusalem, including people who just settled in either places and intermarried.

But more importantly, even if our baser instincts say to be cruel, it is important to overcome them and act humane and with compassion and understanding, because that too is a part of who we are as humans, and that is how societies form and form the best ideas of the future. Also from a laws of nations/original position (Rawls) perspective, if we can agree on that, we can build out from there, but first we need to agree on that.

As much as I applaud your knowledge, isn't the primary issue with this being that these are all examples from 'centuries past'? Whilst I understand your points, we're at an unprecedented stage in human history where there hasn't been a single aspect of life not affected by exponential growth : the human population; percentage of people who have received education ; scientific development.. The list goes on. It is a metropolitan world we live in and so with that there will always be conflict. Further, is it not a bit of a tall order to assume that it's as simple as being respectful and compassionate - can even use the recent tensions between Iran and the US as an example of the 'us and them' mentality that exists.
Even with your examples - the Declaration of the Rights of Man excluded racial minorities and women despite it being meant as a document of universal humane rights. The Romans believed in their own superiority, and that anyone who did not adhere to the roman ways of life were inferior and uncultured. Whilst they were tolerant to an extent (depending what period you look at) of other communities and beliefs such as Judaism, the Republic was fraught with racial and national divide. After much of the Anglo-Saxon/Viking period near its end, there were differences and discrimination between the Catholic saxons and 'pagan' Germanic settlers. There has always been discrimination in whatever form you wish to look at, only really stifled by the adoption of one people's culture by another (at the expense to an extent of their own identity and that of their predecessors). I think it is only within an idealised world could discrimination and the like be quashed, but I am interested in others views as my grasp of these periods is basic at best

Oppression and abuse against women, children and person with disabilities. Oppression in general I guess.

Animal abuse.

God, just writing this makes my blood boil.

Long-term Care Resident’s Rights and Resident Centered Care, End of Life/Hospice care and dying with dignity. I also fully support advocacy for human euthanasia for terminal illnesses.

As much as I applaud your knowledge, isn't the primary issue with this being that these are all examples from 'centuries past'? Whilst I understand your points, we're at an unprecedented stage in human history where there hasn't been a single aspect of life not affected by exponential growth : the human population; percentage of people who have received education ; scientific development.. The list goes on. It is a metropolitan world we live in and so with that there will always be conflict. Further, is it not a bit of a tall order to assume that it's as simple as being respectful and compassionate - can even use the recent tensions between Iran and the US as an example of the 'us and them' mentality that exists.
Even with your examples - the Declaration of the Rights of Man excluded racial minorities and women despite it being meant as a document of universal humane rights. The Romans believed in their own superiority, and that anyone who did not adhere to the roman ways of life were inferior and uncultured. Whilst they were tolerant to an extent (depending what period you look at) of other communities and beliefs such as Judaism, the Republic was fraught with racial and national divide. After much of the Anglo-Saxon/Viking period near its end, there were differences and discrimination between the Catholic saxons and 'pagan' Germanic settlers. There has always been discrimination in whatever form you wish to look at, only really stifled by the adoption of one people's culture by another (at the expense to an extent of their own identity and that of their predecessors). I think it is only within an idealised world could discrimination and the like be quashed, but I am interested in others views as my grasp of these periods is basic at best
Yes and no. It is important to have the ideal to encourage people to be better. And while the world is certainly metropolitan now, that is now to say it wasn't in the past.

The recent tensions between US and Iran did not have to and should not, indeed would not , have happned if we had a potus with the ability not to be a self-serving bag of dicks who responds to everything he doesn't get - including politics and basic international relations - with the shiny red button.

The 89 Declaration of the Rights of Man and the Citizen was, but that too was the time. They were unprecedented enough by saying no wealth tax necessary to vote and that Jews and blacks and actors could vote (and that Jews were citizens! Which just ❤, thank you, Robepierre!) The Declaration of the Right of Man and the Citizen from 93 was closer, though it still din't, but it is very likely it would have been added not long after, as most of those left of Robespierre - either radical Jacobins or Enrages - were alright with women having the vote, so if the Revolution had continued, it is very likely women would have gotten it. As for regionalism within France, it was more about did you accept the republic or were you actively in revolt (and bringing foreign powers against whom France was at war and who had said they would kill the republic) against it. If you accepted, you tended to be accepted fully.

With Rome, it was more less so than before. And referring to the time period under Marius and Sulla. As soon as one became Roman, there was surprisingly little discrimination. Though of course, a bit of the city of Rome is superior to all else. And also of course, when it came to Jews, comparing the treatment to the way other societies treated us both before and the two millennia afterwards.

It is possible to aim for the ideal and then adjust society to make it as good as possible given current norms.

Reactions: Ren and Rit4lin
Issues for which I will protest:
Violence against the elderly or abuse.
Any form of discrimination, especially if it risks becoming legislated.

Issues I'm passively keeping tabs on:
Mental Health, specifically in teenagers and children
Animal rights
Education

Last edited:
Animal rights.
Environmental regulations (enforcing, not reducing).

On a more personal level, not letting junior level people in my industry get shit on and worked to death. I find ways to have conversations with them and remind them they don't have to put up with it.

Reactions: Rit4lin and Odyne