What are your favorite writers/books ? | Page 4 | INFJ Forum

What are your favorite writers/books ?

I was just thinking of reading something new, I think I've been spending too much time on non-fiction books. Any suggestions ? What are your favorite authors, books ?

The last really good non-fiction book I read was The Secret History by Donna Tartt. Has anyone ever read any Murakami ? I loved Norwegian Wood when I read that. I'm kind of writing two books myself at the moment, not to be the next Dan Brown or whoever. I think the last few weeks really sparked my creative side, and I've been rattling off a few thousand words each day. It's not a race, but I would like to finish them.

One was intended to be a sort of thriller and the other a social commentary/relationship/character study - I decided to go with two, so I didn't get stuck with them and could switch back and forward.

Sorry I wandered off topic - any really great books that I should pick up on ? Thanks.
i dont think u will b interested in my pick lol. 'superstar high: nobody's angels' by isabella cass. read it about 4 times. its a coming of age book

This morning I read a very short story by Kafka called "First Sorrow" and which is basically about the life of a trapeze artist who wants to remain on his trapeze at all times to dedicate himself entirely to his art. Though not as well known as "A Hunger Artist", it's still amazing.

Wuthering Heights
Great Gatsby is a great novel, which a movie will NEVER do justice to. Just the way he intertwined all these different personalities and their foibles cannot possibly be shown in a movie
The Grapes of Wrath
Dark Elf Trilogy

A mostly accurate list of my current reading habits: Peter Matthiessen, Ivo Andrić, EO Wilson, Jack Vance. Andrić's tragic The Bridge on the Drina has unseated Gene Wolfe's Peace as my favorite standalone novel. His Omer Pasha Latas, though a fascinating snapshot of a crossroads of Yugoslav history and a fractured Pasha that represented it, didn't have the broad scope and bird's eye view Andrić employed so magically in The Bridge on the Drina. Earlier favorites include Wolfe's The Fifth Head of Cerberus and Ursula K le Guin's Worlds of Exile and Illusion are comparable as loosely interconnected novellas. Having previously only read Jack Vance in anthologies, his Emphyrio was a romp. My favorites from Matthiessen are The Snow Leopard and The Tree Where Man Was Born first as poignant travelogues, then for the author's unique insights on the human condition. More recently, I finished EO Wilson's The Social Conquest of Earth just weeks before his death and just started Consilience.

Reactions: aeon and Wyote
A mostly accurate list of my current reading habits: Peter Matthiessen, Ivo Andrić, EO Wilson, Jack Vance. Andrić's tragic The Bridge on the Drina has unseated Gene Wolfe's Peace as my favorite standalone novel. His Omer Pasha Latas, though a fascinating snapshot of a crossroads of Yugoslav history and a fractured Pasha that represented it, didn't have the broad scope and bird's eye view Andrić employed so magically in The Bridge on the Drina. Earlier favorites include Wolfe's The Fifth Head of Cerberus and Ursula K le Guin's Worlds of Exile and Illusion are comparable as loosely interconnected novellas. Having previously only read Jack Vance in anthologies, his Emphyrio was a romp. My favorites from Matthiessen are The Snow Leopard and The Tree Where Man Was Born first as poignant travelogues, then for the author's unique insights on the human condition. More recently, I finished EO Wilson's The Social Conquest of Earth just weeks before his death and just started Consilience.

Nice.
You are a well cultured otter.

Reactions: aeon and otter