What are your favorite writers/books ? | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

What are your favorite writers/books ?

I read "Men and Women" ... Or at least the title was somewhere along those lines by Murakami. It was good! It's interesting seeing thing through a male perspective in books, notably a Japanese male one in the above case.

Reactions: James
I like The Giver by Lois Lowry... you can finish it in a day or two. It's a dystopian society novel (similar to sci-fi, but could easily happen in real life), which also has a movie by the same name, starring Jeff Bridges, Taylor Swift, Meryl Streep, and others. The main characters are INFJ. I think you'd like the book, but if you don't have a full day to read, just watch the movie. ;-)

Reactions: Wyote and biwaly
one should be obvious by now :)

I'm very much into urban fantasy in general, which would also include HP, the jewel trilogy by Kerstin Gier, The House of Night series and the Night Watch novels by Sergej Lukianenko. I like the tether to familiarity, it makes the other world more familiar and estranges from reality at the same time. Well, not really estrange, but... it makes us see the wonders of this world with different eyes. Actually even the most mundane things can take on a different hue.
Childhood fantasy is still an inspired read, especially the books by Lewis, Carroll and Pullman (just saw today he wrote a new one), but even I have not been able to resist the force of GRRM's Song of Ice and Fire.

I round it up with a selective range of thrillers by Dan Brown, Simon Beckett and hopefully soon Raymond Khoury (have only read the one so far). Sometimes I enjoy standalone books, like Richard Preston's Cobra which I can only describe as delightfully disgusting. But there is still the universe-expanding/based on games or series or films-books, by Oliver Bowden, S.D. Perry, Anthony Horowitz (got that one the wrong way around, but I saw the movie before I read the books - had a real crush on the Jace/Alex Pettyfer-idea then too - still think he would have been the perfect fit before they screwed it up that one time), and Jude Watson.

But despite my hopefully soon attained degree in English Lit, my development is far from concluded. If anything, it has equipped me with weapons to tackle new projects.
During my education, I have come into contact with Shakespeare, Jonson, Marlowe, Doyle, Austen, Bronte, Stevenson, Radcliffe, Wilde, and many other authors.

I am looking forward to reading more and more, whether it be fantasy, fiction in general, or non-fiction (which I haven't got round to talk about, but I have read some, and will continue to do so).

Reactions: Wyote and Ren
I recently finished The Brothers Karamazov by Fyodor Dostoyevsky. It's too early to say, but I think it will become one of my favorite books.

Another favorite is As I Lay Dying by William Faulkner. Also Life and Times of Michael K by JM Coetzee. And of course 1984.

Does non-fiction count?

My recent favorite is The Enneagram by Helen Palmer.

Reactions: Wyote
For fiction and fantasy, Naomi Novik and Kij Johnson are my favorites. They both have a lovely, elaborate way of writing.

So far, my absolute favorites are The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down by Anne Fadiman, Contact by Carl Sagan, and The Shining by Stephen King.

Those are my top three, and I have multiple more books that I highly enjoy but it is too much to list down! lol.

One of the authors I like is... had enough?

images

I wonder what those buttons are for. :thinkinghard::thinkinghard:

1. Sound: the low frequency of a diesel engine or a purring kitten.
2. Smell: the sweet and sour "I had Chinese last night".
3. Sound: the high and short one, trying to keep it in but accidentally releasing a puff of gas just when your aunt is asking whether you want more coffee.
4. Smell: the silent killer that starts with a note of a wet dog but afterwards resembles rotten eggs.
5. Sound: the relaxed flapping sound like a flag in the wind after you've been eating kidney beans.
6. Smell: the sharp, pungent smell, piercing like an angry cat's yawling in the barn seeing another cat in its territory.
7. Sound: the barely audible wind, the flatulence master's controlled release of gas that lasts for 3.4 seconds. Almost like fabrics being rubbed together, leaving everyone wonder about the source.
8. Smell: the sweet aroma of infatuation after the first night together with your partner. "It's ok, I accept you".
9. Sound: the show-off, jumping in the air while releasing gas, making the sound sharp like Cicero's wit, but leaving the anus slightly sore because of the violent gush of wind.
10. Smell: the fart that feels warm and pleasant coming out but bringing with it a strong smell of death in the room; in its pungency a reminder of life, yet in its sheer destructive and mind-numbing power a reminder of our mortality.

3. Sound: the high and short one, trying to keep it in but accidentally releasing a puff of gas just when your aunt is asking whether you want more coffee.
4. Smell: the silent killer that starts with a note of a wet dog but afterwards resembles rotten eggs.
5. Sound: the relaxed flapping sound like a flag in the wind after you've been eating kidney beans.
6. Smell: the sharp, pungent smell, piercing like an angry cat's yawling in the barn seeing another cat in its territory.
7. Sound: the barely audible wind, the flatulence master's controlled release of gas that lasts for 3.4 seconds. Almost like fabrics being rubbed together, leaving everyone wonder about the source.
8. Smell: the sweet aroma of infatuation after the first night together with your partner. "It's ok, I accept you".
9. Sound: the show-off, jumping in the air while releasing gas, making the sound sharp like Cicero's wit, but leaving the anus slightly sore because of the violent gush of wind.
10. Smell: the fart that feels warm and pleasant coming out but bringing with it a strong smell of death in the room; in its pungency a reminder of life, yet in its sheer destructive and mind-numbing power a reminder of our mortality.
:tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

aF6Afas.gif

One of the authors I like is Fydor Dostoyevsky, he wrote Notes from the Underground.

When did you read Notes from Underground? It's a very interesting pick. I didn't expect you'd be into that. You keep surprising me! ;)

Reactions: Pin
A surrealist French novelist I think you guys might enjoy if you give him a chance: Boris Vian.

51mXblVEMHL._SX310_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

28377.jpg