"weird" INFJ | Page 5 | INFJ Forum

"weird" INFJ

Yes, Avi means avatar. On my first site, they even had a sub forum dedicated to "set shops," where people would make a set of avatar and signature based on requests from members. We also had a system called "reputation," which is kind of like the "like" feature, but it's not so easy to give out or receive, and it basically showcased how "famous" you were.

Yes, Avi means avatar. On my first site, they even had a sub forum dedicated to "set shops," where people would make a set of avatar and signature based on requests from members. We also had a system called "reputation," which is kind of like the "like" feature, but it's not so easy to give out or receive, and it basically showcased how "famous" you were.
Sounds a little superficial to me... not to you?

Thanks for clarifying the Avi thing to old Ren ;)

He did! Maybe not a huge amount, but a good few, each containing a huge amount of pages ^^ The one I'm reading at the moment is 1.3k pages long, but it's so profound and captivating that I wouldn't mind it being twice as long. It's really easy to read, no pretension, no jargon, all substance. Reading him makes me feel more intelligent. I suppose I couldn't ask for much more.

Just to quickly broach another message you wrote: does "avi" mean avatar? Jeez, I'm so old. Anyway, if that should be the case, be aware that your avi is awesome.
Yes Avi : Avitar. It's a Banksy painting, the English street artist. He is pretty awesome. Thanks, I like it a lot too. A lot of didactic texts from that period can be a bit long winded, and sometimes a bit contrived (actually maybe that's a slightly later period??)- anyway I like what you say about the truth and simplicity of it - along with being profound. Lol, I'm an avid reader but there are still people I haven't got round to reading yet...next time I visit the library, I'll look one out. I've just taken out two Thomas Hardy books because I recently read 'Far from the madding crowd' and loved it.

Last edited:
Yes Avi : Avitar. It's a Banksy painting, the street English street artist. He is pretty awesome. Thanks, I like it a lot too. A lot of didactic texts from that period can be a bit long winded. I like what you say about the truth and simplicity of it - along with being profound. Lol, I'm an avid reader but there are still people I haven't got round to reading yet...next time I visit the library, I've just taken out two Thomas Hardy books because I recently read 'Far from the madding crowd' and loved it.

Avitar? I thought it was avatar! haha.

You're right about the novels from that period, but Dosto really constitutes one great exception. He's not at all long-winded. In fact, he doesn't like description for the sake of it. He much prefers delving into characters' psyches and multifaceted motives. A lot of his books are about a character committing a crime or an evil act and the layers of motivation behind it. He was an INFJ like us, apparently, and I find a lot of my own approach to writing in his own, albeit at a much more modest level in my case, obvs.

Have you read Hardy's Jude the Obscure? One of my all time favorites!

@Ren Oh no I haven't, that's for telling me. .. I did enjoy Anna Karenina, Leo Tolstoy, a great love story.. although a third of the novel could have been easily edited out. You get the impression that it was written like that because the story was published in parts in weekly publications, and ended up longer than it should have been..
I think it's great because it is a tragic love story and also shows how dire it was to be a woman at that time, and also of course how the whole class thing had everyone in shackles. Again some of the descriptions and character portraits are amazing and brilliantly observed.

Last edited:
@Ren, lol! That's just my bad spelling!
- Avitar...I think I got confused because the short for it is 'Avi'.

@Ren Yup, vain as can be. But if you claim that you and other INFJs aren't secretly vain, you're lying to yourself and them. Nothing wrong with good presentation.

@Ren Yup, vain as can be. But if you claim that you and other INFJs aren't secretly vain, you're lying to yourself and them. Nothing wrong with good presentation.
Sorry Icedream, my Ti has to intervene and suggest that you might have committed a rhetorical fallacy here. Me calling this set shop thing superficial is not equivalent to me saying INFJs can't be secretly vain. I think I am actually still too vain in many ways, and I'd definitely like to work on it.

I know I don't, I just don't like it. Much of my self-esteem is dependent on my outer appearance. I guess it happens more often than it is actually admitted, because it is self-deprecating for others to admit it, they feel like they are giving in or something. It's something of a willful ignorance thing, don't admit it, then it isn't real.

For me it doesn't just apply to how I look, but my spelling as well. But it's still the same...

@Ren Fair enough, it wasn't meant to attack, more just a half joke.

@Ginny I understand the mindset, but in my personal opinion, it's more honorable to understand and admit your faults. That's the first step to removing them.

@Icedream (first attempt at using the @) no worries, I knew it was a joke! You can honestly tease me as much as you want.

Although I think this might be partly why ruji is teasing you about being an INFP. Your Fe is rather discreet ^^ it would be nice to see it blossom a little!

The best thing to do is take all the input you can get and make your conclusions. If you want, I know a number of sources.

I watched videos from a number of YT channels. The best descriptions are from Michael Piers, a fellow INFJ, I think, and Host Eric from Talking with Famous People, an ENTP. With him you'd have to sift through a lot of Ne ideation, he doesn't do much scripting. From the neojungian persuasion is Erik Thor, also INFJ. He has got a thick Swedish accent, but he's really enthusiastic, and studies it at university, I believe. There are a number of others, but those three are more intent on explaining functions than others.

I do get into those states when I'm in a bad mood, or when I feel particularly high-strung. Have you been able to identify what prevents you from "being you"?

Not all factors, but I do know the main factor that prevents me from being me is fear of being disliked. Fear like, anxiety fear. Once I get comfortable enough with a person that I know that my "true self" which is boring and not overly friendly won't change their opinion of me, then I will slide into that role. But it happens unconsciously, I just have noticed it. It's only with people I live with. And I hate saying that is my true self, because being overly friendly and the way I am with strangers and acquaintances is the real me too. It is strange, but true. Lol.

Not all factors, but I do know the main factor that prevents me from being me is fear of being disliked. Fear like, anxiety fear. Once I get comfortable enough with a person that I know that my "true self" which is boring and not overly friendly won't change their opinion of me, then I will slide into that role. But it happens unconsciously, I just have noticed it. It's only with people I live with. And I hate saying that is my true self, because being overly friendly and the way I am with strangers and acquaintances is the real me too. It is strange, but true. Lol.
Hi April, first of all, I meant to answer this earlier, sorry about that.

I find it striking how you express a lot of uncertainty in your message, with the exception of one thing: that you have a boring self. Of that, you seem to be absolutely sure, and precisely for that reason I find your claim suspect! What is an interesting self? I'm curious.

I think it really depends what you consider to be the self's most important qualities. To me, being steadfast, dependable, honest, profound, and open, say, count as much more valuable 'qualities' than being good at attracting attention, or even being outwardly friendly. Focusing on the latter, it seems to me, will be more likely to lead into superficial friendships. And I have certainly been guilty of that in the past - only to be disappointed further down the line.

Although I don't know you, there's an openness about you that I find the opposite of boring. And it's the real you, right? :)

Last edited: