Was This Ni/Fe or Ni/Te? (Or Possibly Just Ni?) | INFJ Forum

Was This Ni/Fe or Ni/Te? (Or Possibly Just Ni?)

Reon

Midnight's Garden
Nov 1, 2008
MBTI
Questioning?
Enneagram
5w6
Well, Requiem and I were discussing what Ni was and he wanted an example of Ni and I gave him one. After giving him the example, I realized that my example was Ni but I'm not sure if it was Ni paired with Fe or Ni paired with Te, and since I think you really can't cleanly divide your dominant function from your auxillary function, I wanted to ask you what you thought the functions used were in this situation. (That was an odd sentence)

I'll try to be a in depth as I can. Here we go!

Foreward: No real names were used

Mmkay. So I was invited to go to RYLA (Rotary Youth Leadership Awards), which is a rotary sponsored youth leadership program and I was the only person going from my school. The first day I met mostly everyone, most importantly, I met Peter and Cindy. I didn't pay much attention to Peter or Cindy but I had a growing inclination that Peter had a thing for Cindy, but since it was only day one, nothing really happened between them that I saw, they just talked (I don't even think they flirted tbh)

The next day I was in a different group than Cindy and Peter but I met my friend Erica that day. My group was already in the main lobby area of the building we were staying in and and I saw Erica and I called her over to talk to me on the coach, and yes I was crushing on her a bit (A lot, honestly. Cool girl. She lives 3 hours away and I couldn't handle a relationship like that at that time) Anyways, Cindy was in the main lobby area with a group of her friends, away from where me and Erica were sitting and Erica told she saw Peter walking towards the main lobby a few minutes ago.

I immediately turned to her and said that I knew what was going to happen; Peter was deliberately coming to talk to Cindy because Peter is interested in Cindy. Cindy, however, was with a group of people and she seemed to have a particular interest in one of the boys in her group. When Peter arrives at the group, Cindy will pay a small amount of attention to him but she will be focused on the other boy; When Peter notices that Cindy isn't placing all her attention on him, he starts to get dejected. His head is going to hang down and he was going to stare down at the ground, to get some type of emotional response from Cindy because of his apparent sadness. When this did not happen, Peter starts moving away from her ever so slightly, trying to gain her attention and when this does not work, he will finally leave.

When Peter finally arrived, the situation played out exactly how I thought it would. I didn't really think about it, the idea just simply popped into my head. Erica was a bit amazed, she said I was psychic and such. I did not hang out with Peter or Cindy for longer than perhaps an hour the day before so I did not know them well.

Ni/Fe? Ni/Te? Different functions? (This was actually a year ago or so, that's why some parts of my post seem fairly inconsistent.)

Since you only describe perceiving what was going to happen but took no action based on that perception except to tell somebody, I would say this is Ni alone.

How much do you interact with Peter Cindy, was it mostly observation? When you spoke with them were they directing their attention at you, or was there interaction between them which you could observe?

Since you only describe perceiving what was going to happen but took no action based on that perception except to tell somebody, I would say this is Ni alone.

Off topic, but can you use your Ti without your Ne? It seems the first two functions are practically tied together and, if not, Ti would be heavily influenced by Ne.

How much do you interact with Peter Cindy, was it mostly observation? When you spoke with them were they directing their attention at you, or was there interaction between them which you could observe?

Outside of introducing myself to Peter and Cindy, we actually didn't interact much. We talked here and there about things, but it was the typical "What school are you from" type stuff. When I noticed both of them together, they were not making conversation with me. They were interacting with each other.

Off topic, but can you use your Ti without your Ne? It seems the first two functions are practically tied together and, if not, Ti would be heavily influenced by Ne.

No, but most likely you would use inferior Se to observe what's going on and feed the information from that into Ni. Your judging functions would then initiate action, determining what you should do. So you should ask what your motivation was in telling Erica and what else you did based on your intuition.

Edit: How and what you observe are also influenced by your judging functions. I get the sense that this is more Fe because it deals with relationships between people.

Last edited:
No, but most likely you would use inferior Se to observe what's going on and feed the information from that into Ni. Your judging functions would then initiate action, determining what you should do. So you should ask what your motivation was in telling Erica and what else you did based on your intuition.

My motivation was telling Erica was because I thought it was an interesting topic to talk about. What else did I do? Eh. Not much, it wasn't anything for me to do about it, I teased Peter about it later I suppose.

I think it's just plain Ni. I think it would be Ni/Fe if you'd interacted with them and observed them, and started to get a feeling or sense of their relationship. But since your observations came when you're not interacting with them, i say it's just plain Ni.

Last edited:
I think it's just plain Ni. I think it would be Ni/Fe if you'd interacted with them and observed them, and started to get a feeling or sense of their relationship. But since your observations came when you're not interacting with them, i say it's just plain Ni. I think it would have been Ni/Te if you'd started to speak with them about their relationship, if they knew each, other, how long, etc.

So, observing them is just Ni (+Se) and the whole interacting with them would be Fe? I guess I should clear up something, I kind of introduced Peter and Cindy as if they knew each other before hand, they did not.

So, observing them is just Ni (+Se) and the whole interacting with them would be Fe? I guess I should clear up something, I kind of introduced Peter and Cindy as if they knew each other before hand, they did not.

Well, i think it's still just Ni then. Ignore that part i wrote about Ni/Te. It was wrong, and didn't make sense.

If this is indeed Ni, then I need to rethink my type. :mtap:

I think because you were being calculating in your decision making that it was less Fe and more Ni with Te. I use that a lot too. You calculate a possibility based on either seen or unseen information, but it's for no other purpose than to see the situation unfold (and to see if you're right).

To me, that's not Fe or relationship based.

Last edited:
Damn, the other folks beat me to it. That's definitely classic Ni.

I can gather as much as to why you might have figured that this was Ni-Fe, but I'm confused why you'd think that it would be a combination of Ni-Te

complete Ni ~

Fe might have worked a little, here and there, as in the gathering information part, but as per how it rolled and your reactions, I'm echoing others.

I agree with everyone else. I don't think you really acted very much, you mostly just observed (AKA perceived). I do understand what you mean about being hard to seperate dom/aux functions. Maybe though, it's more the judging function that's effected? Because you have to perceive the information first to make judgments on it? I don't know, I'm just guessing here. Definitely Ni though, like everyone else said

That was Ni and Te.

Your Ni picked up on things that would have otherwise been hidden to others.
Your Te then picked up on how those things related.
Your Fi validated your Te's suspicions by acting as a litmus for emotional interaction.

This is exactly how my INTJ friends describe the 'emotional' things they pick up on, very practically and logically, very much observations and awareness.

If you were using Ni and Fe, you'd have 'felt' what was going on between them before you 'understood' on a logical level. Fe would have felt it first, then Ti would have supported those feelings with an understanding of how things work.

Reactions: sassafras
Interesting. In regards to dom/aux interaction do you think that the judging function is the function more distorted by your perceptions or is it your introverted functions distorting your extraverted ones?

That was Ni and Te.

Your Ni picked up on things that would have otherwise been hidden to others.
Your Te then picked up on how those things related.
Your Fi validated your Te's suspicions by acting as a litmus for emotional interaction.

This is exactly how my INTJ friends describe the 'emotional' things they pick up on, very practically and logically, very much observations and awareness.

If you were using Ni and Fe, you'd have 'felt' what was going on between them before you 'understood' on a logical level. Fe would have felt it first, then Ti would have supported those feelings with an understanding of how things work.

Interesting, I think that describes how I generally figure out emotional things about other people. I don't really feel them like an INFJ would (As in I don't have an innate connection to how they feel but how they feel turns on my Fi and makes me want to help them), I suppose, but I can still pick up on what's wrong.