Wacky Theory of April 19th, 2010 | INFJ Forum

Wacky Theory of April 19th, 2010

VH

Variable Hybrid
Feb 12, 2009
MBTI
NFJedi
View attachment 2726

I think the Dominant function leans on both of the peripheral functions. In the case of INFJs, that's Ni, so it leans on both Ne and Si. However, each individual will lean on one more than the other.

However, the Secondary and Tertiary functions both lean on ONE of the remaining peripheral functions. For INFJs, this is Fe and Ti, which must lean on either Te or Fi.

Lastly, the final remaining peripheral function is treated as a 'Daemon' function, which is very difficult for the user to use and develop.

The example above explains my set, but INFJs could develop other sets, which would explain a lot of our differences.

For example, the exact opposite of my set would be Ni leaning on Si with Ne as back up, Fe and Ti leaning on Te, and Fi left to be a problem for the user to use and develop.

Last edited:
I like this, but I am adverse to thinking that Ni can lean on both Ne and Si. It would have to be one or the other because both are so polarizing. Even just from data you see on the forum. Its quite rare to not have Si or Ne in one of the bottom two slots for an INFJ. If they both support it, its exceedingly one sided.

I agree with the other set though, Fe and Ti leaning on only one of the two remaining judging functions. Hever, I am disinclined to think that the one left out will be totally useless. It would still come into play, perhaps even linking in with inferior Se in special scenarios.

View attachment 2726

I think the Dominant function leans on both of the peripheral functions. In the case of INFJs, that's Ni, so it leans on both Ne and Si. However, each individual will lean on one more than the other.

However, the Secondary and Tertiary functions both lean on ONE of the remaining peripheral functions. For INFJs, this is Fe and Ti, which must lean on either Te or Fi.

Lastly, the final remaining peripheral function is treated as a 'Daemon' function, which is very difficult for the user to use and develop.

The example above explains my set, but INFJs could develop other sets, which would explain a lot of our differences.

For example, the exact opposite of my set would be Ni leaning on Si with Ne as back up, Fe and Ti leaning on Te, and Fi left to be a problem for the user to use and develop.

great theory! so are you saying that Ni will lean on both Ni and Si? Because my Si sucks, but my Ne seems to be very in tandem with my Ne.

Not sure about the Fi part, but what do i know? It's interesting thoughts, thanks for sharing :)

What does "lean on" mean in this idea?

What does "lean on" mean in this idea?

Noble (and to some extent me as well), sort of coined this term. In effect function lean, is when a shadow function, leans on a main function. This lean in effect acts as a filter or amplifier to back it up. I'll use myself as an example.

My Si, leans heavily on my Ni. As for my type, Si is a shadow function, it "leans" against my Ni to act as another port for information. Ni can get backed, up or there could be another way in which things would be better off not processed through Ni. As such it will then go through Si instead. As Si is a shadow function for me though, it can never be used in it's true form, or in full capacity. In essence then, Si can not stand alone, Ni needs to be around in some way shape or form (even if it isn't being used at the time), for Si to "lean" against.

Something more like this, then?

View attachment 2727

The P pairs lean on the shadow P functions - in the case of INFJ that would be Ni and Se leaning directly on either Ne or Si, and peripherally on the other.

In my personal example, my Ni and Se lean directly on my Ne and peripherally on my Si.

The J pairs lean on the shadow J functions - in the case of INFJ that would be Fe and Ti leaning directly on either Fi or Te, and peripherally on the other.

In my personal example, my Fe and Ti lean directly on my Fi and peripherally on my Te.

Advanced Leap of Logic...

If this is the case, then the combined 'weight' of a person's J or P functions dictate which of the shadow functions has the most preference. For instance, if the combined weight of an INFJs Ni and Se do not outweigh the combined weight of their Fe and Ti, then the shadow function that the J functions lean on will be the most preferred of the shadow functions. In my personal example, that would be Fi because my Fe and Ti have more combined weight than my Ni and Se, which lean directly on my Ne. The reverse preference order would apply to the remaining two shadow functions - because this is the pattern with overall functions J-P-P-J or P-J-J-P.

Under normal conditions a person's dominant and inferior functions will outweigh their secondary and tertiary functions, creating the standard mirrored shadow function effect. However, as people develop their functions this order can be disrupted as mentioned above. As people develop their lesser functions and their shadow functions, we begin to see disorder in the standard function preference model.

Last edited:
I would tend to lean on Ne and Fi, leaving Te out in the cold.

Last edited: