Vitamins suck.

tfg345i4u5lw

On Holiday
Apr 11, 2010
MBTI
????
Enneagram
None
I have never been a fan of vitamin supplements because I believe the human body is pretty good at managing its vitamin and mineral levels on it's own. My intuition is what led me to this conclusion. I think of times in human history like the Ice Age, where our ancestors would go for years and years with a very small variety of foods. Through times like these natural selection killed off the ones who were incapable of managing their vitamin levels and only the strong survived. The beautiful and powerful human body is also an expert at adapting to it's surroundings. So if it gets too many vitamins it will simply learn to dispose of them quicker. And if it gets a vitamin sparingly it will learn to retain it. With that being said, could vitamin supplements be harming us? Recent studies are showing that they could be.

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/Diet/story?id=2908054&page=1#.T5jekI5r6Rs

I only take a multivitamin once every month or two. But if I'm sick I will hit my body with a rogue wave of vitamins that it's not used to having. I rarely get sick and when I do I heal like Wolverine.

Please share your habits and beliefs when it comes to vitamin supplements. I'm interested.

Nutrition as a science, relative to other sciences, is very young.

I often don't feel like explaining my habits or views about this kind of thing. People tend to put all their faith in the conventional mainstream health knowledge that is lobbied/paid to be dealt out to the public, and can still be mistrustful even if I take the time to go find sources that support my views. It's tiring, and it's not like I need anyone to understand me or my opinions anyway, because it's just my own body I care about and it's not like they can affect what I do to it. I'd rather keep my opinions to myself, and wait for people to discover things on their own accord.

Nutrition as a science, relative to other sciences, is very young.

I often don't feel like explaining my habits or views about this kind of thing. People tend to put all their faith in the conventional mainstream health knowledge that is lobbied/paid to be dealt out to the public, and can still be mistrustful even if I take the time to go find sources that support my views. It's tiring, and it's not like I need anyone to understand me or my opinions anyway, because it's just my own body I care about and it's not like they can affect what I do to it. I'd rather keep my opinions to myself, and wait for people to discover things on their own accord.

I would like to hear these opinions, I am very curious.

I have never been a fan of vitamin supplements because I believe the human body is pretty good at managing its vitamin and mineral levels on it's own. My intuition is what led me to this conclusion. I think of times in human history like the Ice Age, where our ancestors would go for years and years with a very small variety of foods. Through times like these natural selection killed off the ones who were incapable of managing their vitamin levels and only the strong survived. The beautiful and powerful human body is also an expert at adapting to it's surroundings. So if it gets too many vitamins it will simply learn to dispose of them quicker. And if it gets a vitamin sparingly it will learn to retain it. With that being said, could vitamin supplements be harming us? Recent studies are showing that they could be.

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/Diet/story?id=2908054&page=1#.T5jekI5r6Rs

I only take a multivitamin once every month or two. But if I'm sick I will hit my body with a rogue wave of vitamins that it's not used to having. I rarely get sick and when I do I heal like Wolverine.

Please share your habits and beliefs when it comes to vitamin supplements. I'm interested.
the bolded is not congruent to the beautiful and powerful human body. that seems like a mistake that would indeed cause you to be naturally selected.

though, i dont like taking protein shakes. makes me feel really unbalanced. no difference with multivitamins.

the bolded is not congruent to the beautiful and powerful human body. that seems like a mistake that would indeed cause you to be naturally selected.

Haha and how did you come to that conclusion?

Edit: You are fooling yourself little girl. Why do you think people get rebound scurvy when they take too much vitamin C??? Why do you think people piss bright yellow after taking vitamins??? Do a little research.

Last edited:
I would like to hear these opinions, I am very curious.

Alright, but only because you are Sandra, and because you bought me pizza.

- I believe certain synthetic vitamins are harmful. These are the ones that food companies often fortify their stuff with. I avoid calcium and vitamin D. Vitamin D is something you can OD on quickly (turns to toxic levels in your body), and food that has been tested has shown amounts of vitamin D that are very different from what is shown on the label. In general, nutrition labelling regulations are not very strict, but that's another issue and there's no use getting paranoid about it. Calcium and vitamin D (synthetic) can leach calcium from your bones.
- In general, the amount of synthetic stuffs we absorb and their effects are not known very well. It's probably not a good idea to rely on them or the infos that are released to the public to guarantee you wont get deficiencies or will be healthy. I think you should obviously get vitamins from actual natural food if possible. And you have to take care of the rest of your health, because nutrient absorption could be blocked by some random unforseen shit.
- I believe taking some specific vitamins/supplements can make a positive difference, and for this reason I don't take those complete multivitamin thingies.

Bros n' hoes, I now present you with what supplements I take. Feel free to think back on the fact that I used to have an eating disorder and then infer that I am batshit from all of this and totally disregard everything I say.

- vitamin B complex (because I take contraceptive pills for my skin, and that inhibits B absorption or leaches it or something like that)
- vitamin C
- metamucil capsules
- 5-htp
- conjugated linoleic acid
- alpha lipoleic acid
- coenzyme Q10
- acetyl-l-carnitine HCl
- chromium
- caffeine

I don't take all this every single day.. I often get lazy and skip. If you think about this it's a lot of pills.

Haha and how did you come to that conclusion?
it just seems silly to have a full capacity of vitamins stored in your body and just spit them out rapidly to depletion just because youre getting them on the regular.

edit to respond to your edit: too much of anything is too much. you're right. i was thinking more along the lines of getting too many vitamins through diet. also, too much iron is deadly. could you get that from just eating regular foods?

- I believe certain synthetic vitamins are harmful. These are the ones that food companies often fortify their stuff with. I avoid calcium and vitamin D. Vitamin D is something you can OD on quickly (turns to toxic levels in your body)

Bros n' hoes, I now present you with what supplements I take. Feel free to think back on the fact that I used to have an eating disorder and then infer that I am batshit from all of this and totally disregard everything I say.

- vitamin B complex (because I take contraceptive pills for my skin, and that inhibits B absorption or leaches it or something like that)
- vitamin C
- metamucil capsules
- 5-htp
- alpha lipoleic acid
- coenzyme Q10
- acetyl-l-carnitine HCl
- chromium
- caffeine

I don't take all this every single day.. I often get lazy and skip. If you think about this it's a lot of pills.

Damn niffer, that's a cocktail.

I didn't know about synthetic vs natural vitamins, so thanks for that. I noticed you mentioned the dangers of vitamin D. Vitamin D is dangerous because it is fat-soluble and it is pretty rare in nature. Our bodies have evolved to require small amounts of it because our ancestors never had multivitamins. People should be careful with all vitamins but especially the fat-soluble ones, those ones can jack you up.

There's no need to take vitamins if you're getting a balanced and varied diet

One option for people is to get online and find your local organic food producer. Organic farmers often even deliver food to peoples door.

Many organic farmers are happy for you to visit their farms and see for yourself where the food is coming from. Also by supporting organic farmers you are casting a vote with your money that will play a part (however small) in creating the change you want to see in the world, which for me is a world where our food isn't constantly sprayed with carcinogenic pesticides manufactured by corporations such as monsanto who also created the carcinogenic product agent Orange dropped by planes of the US military on the vietnamese people causing cancers and birth defects in children. (this is why supermarket vegetables have 'wash before use' messages on them)

Another option yet is to try and gro some of your own foods but this is not always possible especially for people in cities and towns.

The power elite are very keen to control our foods and as we all know monsanto has been permitted a monopoly on seed production by the corrupt politicians. The elite have created the codex alimentarius to control what we all eat (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Codex_alimentarius)

its my belief that the cancer fighting components in organically grown fruit and vegetables are often destroyed or lessened by the industrial farming methods, which also see animals pumped full of antibitics and steroids to enable them to grow in cramped conditions instead of being reared free range which is healthier for them and subsequently healtheir for us

I don't know if this qualifies as a "belief" per se, other that I definitely believe I would like to feel good, but I have had problems with anemia and B12 deficiency in the past, and have taken multivitamins which supply iron and B complex. They made me feel so much better and more energetic, it was amazing. Of course, you can also get those nutrients from a balanced diet, but that is easier said than done. It all depends on your individual situation, I suppose.

Alright, but only because you are Sandra, and because you bought me pizza.

- I believe certain synthetic vitamins are harmful. These are the ones that food companies often fortify their stuff with. I avoid calcium and vitamin D. Vitamin D is something you can OD on quickly (turns to toxic levels in your body), and food that has been tested has shown amounts of vitamin D that are very different from what is shown on the label. In general, nutrition labelling regulations are not very strict, but that's another issue and there's no use getting paranoid about it. Calcium and vitamin D (synthetic) can leach calcium from your bones.
- In general, the amount of synthetic stuffs we absorb and their effects are not known very well. It's probably not a good idea to rely on them or the infos that are released to the public to guarantee you wont get deficiencies or will be healthy. I think you should obviously get vitamins from actual natural food if possible. And you have to take care of the rest of your health, because nutrient absorption could be blocked by some random unforseen shit.
- I believe taking some specific vitamins/supplements can make a positive difference, and for this reason I don't take those complete multivitamin thingies.

- vitamin C
- metamucil capsules
- 5-htp
- alpha lipoleic acid
- coenzyme Q10
- acetyl-l-carnitine HCl
- chromium
- caffeine

Thank you. Some of these I take. You may have noticed various vitamin bottles when you were here lol. I took Vitamin D throughout the winter because I found I was feeling very depressed because we never see any god damn sun here. Maybe I will think twice about that next winter. I did not know it was dangerous. I am going to go research these other things you take.

I see no problem with supplements if the nutrients within can be effectively used by the body. I'm currently taking iron and vitamin C, because I fear recurring iron deficiency that could cause anemia again. I also take vitamin C or multivitamin when I'm sick, and occasionally in general, because I'm not confident I'm getting everything I need. Of course, I also keep track of doses. Unfortunately a lot of essential nutrients need to be ingested or otherwise brought into the body from outside sources and do not occur in the body naturally, so I'm not buying the premise of self regulated vitamin and mineral levels. Also, this idealized notion of past, concerning the ice age is naive beyond belief. News flash: For most of history people had pretty short life spans and were dying of now considered to be trivial maladies, and that likely included suffering from various nutritional deficiencies.

Reactions: endersgone
Unfortunately a lot of essential nutrients need to be ingested or otherwise brought into the body from outside sources and do not occur in the body naturally

I wasn't dissing vitamins supplements all together, I was just making the argument that they are overused and relied on too heavily. I think people need to have a little more faith in the human body. I also have a problem with some vaccinations that I think are unnecessary but that's a whole different topic.

Iron supplements are really important for women and everyone should use vitamins according to their own personal needs. But I just think it's unhealthy to wake up every morning and eat a cocktail of vitamins. I think our vitamin habits are influenced by consumerism.

I dislike modern supplements unless they are being used to treat deficiencies/diagnosed medical conditions. Modern supplements are being heavily pushed by special interest groups without much scientific understanding of their effectiveness/safety, (the products), our world is very fearful nowadays and the manufacturers take full advantage of this in trying to get people to buy their stuff. I don't have any health conditions that require vitamins/supplements, I get my nutrition from natural foodstuffs and am quite healthy.

I take a multivitamin daily because I really don't have any other options. School is expensive, so the food I eat (the food I can afford) is all highly processed shit that I know isn't good for me and definitely isn't giving me the nutrients I need. Once I actually have the money to eat better I will. I miss fruits and vegetables. I'll get an apple or a banana every day but that's about it. Unfortunately, living in the city makes getting cheap healthy food hard.

I take a multivitamin daily because I really don't have any other options. School is expensive, so the food I eat (the food I can afford) is all highly processed shit that I know isn't good for me and definitely isn't giving me the nutrients I need. Once I actually have the money to eat better I will. I miss fruits and vegetables. I'll get an apple or a banana every day but that's about it. Unfortunately, living in the city makes getting cheap healthy food hard.

That's understandable.

:( It makes me sad. I wish everyone in the world could be able to eat healthily. I wish there were better systems so we could all share.

I take 3000 mg of B3 daily.

I accidentally was taking 6000 for a few weeks
when I switched from 500 mg to 1000 mg tablets.

Right now I take a gummy multivitamin and rarely vitamin D3. I also have some fish oil that I could take. I used to take some high quality stuff, but I've stopped. The more I learn about all this stuff, the more I hate it.

I take a One-A-Day Women's Multi-Vitamin, but I don't take it every day, just on the days where I know I will be eating a lot of processed food.
I also take fish oil and Biotin.

For the Vitamin D3 comments: There are actually many people out there, who are deficient in this and don't even know it, the main reason being they don't get enough sunlight, read: at least 10-15 minutes of complete exposure (no sunscreen) a day. And while this is the best way to obtain Vitamin D (it actually becomes "active" in the body), there are many places in the world that get very little sunlight, so obtaining it through other means is necessary.