US Presidential Inauguration 2009 | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

US Presidential Inauguration 2009

My god... that makes my urge of NOT going even worse!!! I was offered to go to the 2004 inaugeration for a highschool trip because I was known in school for being interested in politics (among other things). I turned it down for two reasons. One, Bush was getting back in and would have just succeded in making me depressed/angry. However, the bigger factor, was the crowds. After I herd how many people would be there, I didn't even concider it. I do NOT do well in crowds, it stresses me out beyond belif. And the fact that it was to be in that open of an area that close to people just made me nervrous and anxious just thinking about it.

I am not going to watch the inaugeration. Despite being very far to the left, I do not like Obama. I have not liked him since the beginning. I agree with some of his policies and ideas, but others I do not at all. The big issue is, I do not trust him, at all. I go by my gut with nearly everything (Ni anyone? lol), and this time is no exception. I have no trust for him, and it has gone down if anything as time goes on. I flat out don't like him. I will likely catch the highlights on youtube and CNN after the inaugeration.

I am just hoping that the occasion isn't marred by some sort of drama. A attempted terror attack or something.

This is kinda the thing that those freaks wait for and look for. A large number of people in one place, at one time, at a meaningful occasion. I am hoping everything goes off without a hitch and maybe the next four years will usher in better times for the American Working Class.

*thinkgoodthoughts**thinkgoodthoughts**thinkgoodthoughts**thinkgoodthoughts*

political-pictures-kids-proud.jpg

I freely admit to having an idealistic crush on Obama (and his whole family). I know it's idealistic, but I'm kind of loving it. So I'm gonna go with it for as long as I can.

I also kinda of feel a bit of pity for his position.

Barrack Obama is the first ethnically mixed American to serve as President of the United States. He is the trail breaker. The ability for others to follow in his footsteps may actually rest in his performance. The extra scrutiny of his policies, his actions, etc....If he really screws the pooch, it may impress on the less educated minds that minorities 'can't' effectively run the country.

I know it doesn't really make sense, but there are some things about the American Voters that don't make sense...

I also kinda of feel a bit of pity for his position.

Barrack Obama is the first ethnically mixed American to serve as President of the United States. He is the trail breaker. The ability for others to follow in his footsteps may actually rest in his performance. The extra scrutiny of his policies, his actions, etc....If he really screws the pooch, it may impress on the less educated minds that minorities 'can't' effectively run the country.

I know it doesn't really make sense, but there are some things about the American Voters that don't make sense...

I feel this too, alcyone.

For my part, the only way I can spare myself the horror of imagining all the terrible scenarios that can unfold is to put my staunch, long term and loyal support behind this man. I honestly feel that, cosmically, he needs all the positive energy we can give in support of the unimaginably daunting task he's taken on.

I came of voting age in the Reagan era; I've never felt passionately in favor of any of our country's leaders in my life (though I've felt passionately against many of them), until now. It's novel, and it feels positive.

I agree there is a lot of positivity with Obama but like IndigoSensor my intuition doesn't trust him either. I think being that ambitious to want to be president does a lot to mar the intention of the person seeking the position. The presidency is far more powerful than I think it was ever intended to be (plus add in the huge huge military we have). I can't help but think it attracts people who want such power to begin with.

I think it is great to have a mixed race leader, but I also know that power corrupts. Obama, if anything, seems like an efficient administrator, and maybe that's what this country needs now more than anything. But, ultimately, real and lasting positive social change has to come from the people themselves, and not their leaders, who too often take advantage of a dormant population to further the interests of a few at the expense of the many.

Wanting power isn't a bad thing. Its what you do with the power that is granted that makes good or bad.

And like it or not, the vast majority of people don't care what their leaders do so long as their individual bubbles aren't popped.

I'm doing what I can to not love Obama. I must remain critical of him lest I become as bad as one of those people who still love George W. Bush.

Wanting power isn't a bad thing. Its what you do with the power that is granted that makes good or bad.

Fair point, and I think that's one of the best things about having elections (and term limits) is that you can keep some accountability in the system. That being said, it's not just *any* power we're talking about but arguably the most powerful position in the world at this point in time.

My view of power is Tolkien-esque, i.e. the Ring will corrupt whoever wears it.

And like it or not, the vast majority of people don't care what their leaders do so long as their individual bubbles aren't popped.

Agreed. In my view this is unfortunate :(

But this is my first bubble. :mcute:

Surely it's not always a bad thing to respect/like the leader you voted for? Its a brand new thing for me. I'm not lemminglike enough for it to remain intact if seriously challenged but dang...

how could you NOT be happy with this new leader after the past 8 years?

Heck no!

I hope that the next four years see either a major renovation of the Republican Party's leadership, the up and coming prominance of a third party (an institution I think is greatly needed as the two party system has detrimentally polarized the nation), and in a perfect world the reversal of all the bad things that have become SOP in todays government.

Surely it's not always a bad thing to respect/like the leader you voted for? Its a brand new thing for me. I'm not lemminglike enough for it to remain intact if seriously challenged but dang...

how could you NOT be happy with this new leader after the past 8 years?

No no, it's not a bad thing to respect the guy. I certainly respect his background and I do think he will be an able administrator. But, at the same time, it's hard for me to say that I like him given that I don't agree with a lot of his announced policies to date -- support of spying by the telecoms, expanding the war in Afghanistan, massive government expenditures. I haven't seen any commitments to the environment, protecting civil liberties, progressive judges. Maybe he'll make those changes and then my view of him will change, but it's too early for me now to make that judgment.