Urges/desires of the "Flesh"? | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Urges/desires of the "Flesh"?

........And where would said body be getting this information from which to express from?
..The soul, perhaps? Which means that it would be "powered" by it, right? The soul gives information, and the body translates it into a physical state. Just sayin'.

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by "powered by, "gives the information," or "translates it," but I think it means you missed my point and chose to stay with the traditional sort of dualism. I'm saying that the soul is you. It is everything about you. Its information comes from everything that helped fashion your identity, from God, from your life experiences, from every thing you ever thought, from every choice you ever made, from everything you ever loved. It is not some seperate supernatural agency directing the flow of the material. It might not be wholly physical but is immanent in the physical rather than superimposed. The brain and its structure are part of the soul, not extraneous organs that seem like they could control all our actions on their own but actually only do what a ghost in the machine tells them to do.

If that's the case, how do you explain when the soul leaves the body and, (supposedly,) goes to heaven?
The traditional view is not that the soul leaves the body to go to heaven, but that the spirit does.

(Ecclesiastes 3 casts doubt on even that notion, not ruling it out completely but expressing that we have no way of knowing if it is true. Solomon seemed to think that humans are no different from other animals and that we merely pass back into the dust.)

The bible is pretty clear that everyone will take part in a bodily resurrection in the last days. The spirit will be reunited with the body, restoring the soul. In revelation we see that there will actually be two resurrections, one for the saints before the millennium and one for the rest just before the end of the world. The saints will reign on Earth during the millennium, and then in the New Earth (which is almost certainly united with the New Heaven) after the Old Heaven and the Old Earth pass away. (Before all these things pass away exist the wicked will be condemned to the second death, which seems to make more sense as permanent total annihilation rather than eternal torment. Note that Greek does not actually have a word for eternity, and what is usually rendered such actual means "an age" or "of [the next] age.") It is not at all clear if we will ever visit the Old Heaven, and I think it unlikely.

The bible does not really say what, if anything, happens in the interim between death and the resurrection. For that we have nothing to rely upon except human speculation. The simplest answer is that nothing happens, we just don't exist until we are recreated. This is favored by Occam's Razor, as holding it requires only faith that God is able to keep his word rather than positing the existence of many extraneous commonplace but undetectable supernatural phenomena never mentioned in divine revelation. I favor it, as do most modern theologians. It has always been far more popular a belief in Judaism, and those Jews who did not hold it were pretty clearly adopting Greek notions. The biblical claim that Christians are the most pitiable of all men if their hope in the future resurrection is false makes more sense this way. This was taught by some church fathers and many ecclesiastic writers in the early church (most unambiguously by Tatian), and by Pope John XXII in the 14th century. It was not until the next pope's reign that there was any dogma against such a belief.

The more traditional christian belief is that when a man dies his spirit faces Particular Judgement and departs to receive a foretaste of his eternal fate. A tiny minority (saints and martyrs) are allowed to enter heaven and receive direct knowledge of God, while the rest stay in Hades. In the early church Hades was generally viewed more like what Catholics call Purgatory rather than Hell. (Eastern Orthodox Churches still hold that view. In the West the conception of Hades kept getting worse until a seperate Purgatory had to be invented for Christians were not yet holy enough for Heaven, and then various layers of Hell for non-Christians of varying degrees of wickedness and virtue. The modern view of hell is based on Dante's Inferno, a part of his Divine Comedy, a work of fiction that borrowed very heavily from Virgil's Aeneid and so presents an essentially pagan picture of the afterlife. The biblical term Hades was almost certainly being used as a translation of Sheol, a Hebrew term that can mean "Pit," "Grave," or simply "the state of being dead." Ecclesiastes 9 is pretty clear that the dead in Sheol have no knowledge or thought, which seems to rule out any conscious existence. We are most familiar with the Greek term Hades as it is used in Pagan Greek mythology and religion, as either the underworld where the disembodied spirits of the dead go to recieve their rewards or punishments or as the god of that underworld. The term is not however limited to that sense. It can also refer literally to anything hidden under the surface of the earth. The word Hades itself is believed to literally mean "unseen." The god called Hades was also called Pluto (wealthy) because being lord of everything under the surface of the earth meant that all mineral wealth came from his domain. The word Hell is actually not a bad translation of Hades, as it is a Germanic term for the underworld that literally means "concealed," but I would rather avoid it because it has taken on even stronger negative connotations. Literally burying a body under ground is sending someone to hell, but that does not mean eternal damnation or torment.)

Regardless of where ever the spirit goes immediately after death, it does not stay there forever. Complete knowledge of our temporary fate is not something that God chose to reveal, so we probably shouldn't waste too much time or effort arguing over such speculations that distract what what we do know. The Resurrection and the Last Judgement are clear and essential doctrine that all Christians must accept.

So you are saying my human urges are from a fallen society? From "Spiritual Forces?" I'm not insulting your logic, just trying to make sure I get things right.

Your own fallen nature is the main cause, but outside pressures certainly can contribute. (As an Fe user you should know that.)

If I did not resist the 'urges of my flesh' I would be in jail for multiple murders.

I think the expression means: don't give into passion, but act according to reason.

Reactions: acd
Umm. Not exactly Sali... thats not the Christian reason, supposedly the Christian reason is 2 fold.

A. excessive sex detracts from a understanding and worship of the divine and mires it with overindulgence on the flesh, the same reasons that the Christians (ironically) condemn other sins of excess such as gluttony, greed and pride etc. It removes God from the equation and supplants worship for it, for worship of a less divine nature.

and

B. Sexual contact traditionally for Christians should be confined to a marriage. Sex outside of marriage is considered adultery because you are cheating on your future spouse.

I think those reasons are absolute BS, but are much more accurate then yours. The lynchpin to those beliefs of course is faith, both in their authority and in god.

People dont subject themselves to religion simply to become more docile and easily lead... thats a view from the outside looking in, which is completely irrational.

Yes, I didn't mean to insinuate that, that is the reason given by the christian church but more my own personal opinion about what I suspect the real reason is. It is very much my own opinion. I should have been more clear. You'll notice the church is more into the whole sex thing than the bible itself. it's mentioned a few times in the bible but things like forgiveness and not judging others are mentioned much more often and in much greater depth. I noticed in my younger days when going to church the church seemed to have a near obsession with sex, but that's subjective and could just be the churches I attended or my area in general.

I never understood why Christianity has always said to resist your "Urges of the flesh."

I thought human bodies were simply vessels of your soul, and that it and it alone powers it.

So if your soul is powering your body, wouldn't that mean that those "Urges of the flesh" are actually just the souls?

Living by the "flesh" is the natural way someone might behave apart from having a relationship with God and is different than how He wants you to live. The apostle Paul writes in Galatatians 5:19-21 that the deeds of the flesh are immorality, impurity, sensuality, idolatry, sorcery, emnities, strife, jealousy, outbursts of anger, disputes, dissensions, factions, envying, drunkenness, carousing.

He goes on to say that the result of the Christian life should be love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control.

I think any cautions about living according to the flesh should be seen less as a negative thing, but more as an invitation to live in a more holistic, integrated, completed fashion. It is a return to a balance that is the natural right of every human person, one all too easy forgotten about and thereby overlooked. Living according to the flesh alone diminishes us in a way that was never intended and is not our destiny. Nor is it for us to hate any part of ourselves but, understanding the powers and limits at play, to understand these and engage/balance via our more complete self.

So what comes off as a prohibition is really an invitation to something much more functional for us as a whole person.

Jesus came to not only give us life, but to give it to us more abundantly. It is not difficult to see which direction will lead to a more healthy life. Treat your body like the temple it can be, and allow your mind to think on positive things that lead to a healthier, longer life. The rewards are significant even in this world. He isn't called the Great Physician for nothing.

We all have weaknesses. I have them. In your weakness possess ye your strength. Overcoming your greatest weakness will show you more inner, and possibly more physical, strength. There are other reasons, you see, to try and live by these means.

It says your body is the Temple of God, and the Spirit of God lives within you. The Temple of God is holy to those who have allowed this to take place.

The singular love of (one) man for (one) woman is how God intended it to be from the very beginning; and also the reflection of Christ's relationship to the Church as Spiritual Bridegroom. It wasn't because Christianity adopted it because "it worked for them." Look also in Jewish customs in the Old Testament.

Its arrogant for humans to adopt an idea, then insist that thats "how god wants it" it gives me a Jim Jones kind of skin crawling feeling. Using a fictional character to control other people...

by the way, as far as I remember some Jews in the OT had more then 1 wife. And of the Jesus + Church thing, you forgot to add in the Holy Spirit, which would make it a 3some.

Last edited:
Reactions: bickelz and Nixie
It might not be wholly physical but is immanent in the physical rather than superimposed. The brain and its structure are part of the soul, not extraneous organs that seem like they could control all our actions on their own but actually only do what a ghost in the machine tells them to do.
I think you're getting the soul and spirit mixed up. They are one in the same, as once your soul, (or spirit, if you prefer) leaves the body, You are dead. Gone. There is no nonexistent soul left behind to be "ignited" again when the spirit, (Or soul) is reunited with the body.
True, your spirit, (Or again, soul if you prefer,) contains all your feelings, emotions, memories, etc etc. If like you said, the soul stayed behind when you die and your spirit goes to heaven, how would you even know god existed, or even aware of it when your soul contains all your memories? Now, this may be just my opinion, but there have been some debate over if there are 3 parts to a human being, or 2. A soul, spirit, and body, or just a soul/spirit, and body. I personally think the latter is true, due to what I just said.

I always look at it as mind-body-spirit as a balance. You can indulge too far in to one or another, but can get back on track. They may be all equally important.

According to Christianity as well as two thousand years or so of dominant western philosophy, the body is dirty and taints the purity of the soul. That is why it must be resisted. You have a dirty, dirty body.

Reactions: bickelz and Nixie
ὀλιγόπιστοι
oligopistoi

Used to be one of my favorite words or group of words. Google makes it almost impossible to be rude saying it, as the meaning is there for those that wish to know. He was talking to his followers, too. It is easy to be as such: "ones of little faith".
God doesn't even want us to worry, as it can cause stress and ulcers; yet, we worry. I'll take the letters over common knowledge of the world any day, as I know what they have done for me in my life. Studying and proving them takes years: time well worth spending, to better understand and grow in faith.

I never could understand why it was so difficult for people to understand the simplicity which is in Christ. Our world is in peril and our leaders seek answers. They ask, but they ask amiss. Ones of little faith. 2900th post here: I actually stayed that long somewhere. Always been a bit difficult in the past. Place must be interesting or intriguing: the people and such and the things they say.

They ask for answers because they are weak, and cannot make results on their own. Obviously, if they are leaders, they should be able to make decisions as such. I pity the leader who seeks answers or power in a being that may or may not even exist, when instead, he should for once believe in himself.

God doesn't even want us to worry, as it can cause stress and ulcers; yet, we worry. I'll take the letters over common knowledge of the world any day, as I know what they have done for me in my life. Studying and proving them takes years: time well worth spending, to better understand and grow in faith.

So why did he strike the ground and say we have to work hard? After he did that, we had to worry about harvest and food, a basic necessity.

If he wanted us to not worry, why didn't he make life easier and his presence visible?

So why did he strike the ground and say we have to work hard? After he did that, we had to worry about harvest and food, a basic necessity.

If he wanted us to not worry, why didn't he make life easier and his presence visible?

Harvest and food cannot be provided without the rains, can be taken away with too much rain, and can be destroyed by all sorts of earthly things. There was a time people were more thankful when they were able to have something to harvest. All they did with their hard work depended on other things out of their sphere of control. People prayed for rain. They depended on God to provide. There was a different mindset. I could never pity a man praying for help, knowing everything he did on his own was not enough.