Unexplained/Unintentional Popularity?? | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Unexplained/Unintentional Popularity??

I dunno if this is relevant but I had a problem in which I never realized people liked me at all. Even people who acted like they didn't like me actually liked me apparently (I know this because a couple of said people approached me later in life and told me so), but because I intimidated them, they either never approached me or were too scared to say hello. I was oblivious to this fact, I thought people thought I was weird and didn't care to know me. Apparently the weird was magnetic, but scary. OR something.

I'm not an INFJ though.

I dunno if this is relevant but I had a problem in which I never realized people liked me at all. Even people who acted like they didn't like me actually liked me apparently (I know this because a couple of said people approached me later in life and told me so), but because I intimidated them, they either never approached me or were too scared to say hello. I was oblivious to this fact, I thought people thought I was weird and didn't care to know me. Apparently the weird was magnetic, but scary. OR something.

I'm not an INFJ though.
They liked you because they didnt know you well enough.

Reactions: Jill Hives
Hi everyone!

I have a question. I'm wondering if this is maybe an INFJ trait. I am guessing it is, but I would like to hear from others. Might be fun to discuss experiences with this...

So, my whole life, but especially as I get older, I find that I am unintentionally popular. I am not in anyway seeking to be, and it's not a sense of pride or something I even value--it's just something that has always puzzled me.

This is kind of what happens: I walk into a situation where I don't know anyone--let's say a university class. For the first week or so I am my usual quiet self sitting alone on the outside of the group. Reserved. Friendly. Caring. Etc. Then, about a week into it, I notice that people are sitting next to me. Kind of gravitating. It's weird. I am not making this up!!!! By about the third week most of the class have pretty much done this and I have gone from being in the back of the room on the side to kind of being in the middle, surrounded by everyone. And they all think they have made a new friend in me. And I think little to nothing of them other than caring about them as people with feelings and needs and insecurities, etc.

I guess it's flattering...except that I have no idea at all WHY. This will even happen on the city bus. I am not joking. People will sit by me when they walk in and are looking for a seat, even if there are other areas of the bus that are empty and more preferable. They will start talking to me like they know me. At times I have thought, "Oh shoot, am I supposed to know this person??? I don't think I have ever met them!!!"

What is up with this???? Anyone else deal with this...wouldn't call it a "problem"...but a weird pretty much daily situation??? Is this an INFJ "thing"?

What is the seating situation look like at your university? How can most of the class be sitting by you? Also you seem to be the one who is moving seats, so I just don't get it.

I always attribute this to "New girl syndrome," but perhaps you seem unintimidating. Be cautious. Manipulative personalities will seek you out.

Reactions: the
What is the seating situation look like at your university? How can most of the class be sitting by you? Also you seem to be the one who is moving seats, so I just don't get it.

Good question. See, I can envision all of this, but others might not. I went to school the first time at a really large university (Michigan State). Lecture halls and all that. So yeah...back then I was able to just sit in the back or find a friend and cling to them all semester. Most of the classes the chairs were bolted to the floors, so people couldn't follow you.

This time I am back...after several years as a military officer. Yeah. An INFJ who was a military officer. I need to ask someone about that one... Did that for 7 years, though, so I survived. I was fine performance-wise, but I wasn't happy. So I decided to go back to school, since the husband is back in school for law school anyway, and am going to the Univ of Montana, which is much smaller. Music Composition. The classes are small, the chairs move. People are free to sit where they like.

So usually I will sit by the wall, or close to the door so I can get out easily. I don't like to have to walk in front of everyone if I need to go to the bathroom or come in late or have to leave early, etc. I also like having a seat and being in that seat the whole semester. But I have been kind of migrating away from people, and they follow me. I know it sounds weird. You would need to observe. And it sounds like I am being crazy and think everyone loves me. But I don't...it's just this weird thing that happens. I also will talk to people and try to get out the door and they will keep talking and follow me into other rooms. This drives me nuts. I might have to go to the bathroom or something and people follow me in there. (It's not that big of a deal usually, but I sometimes really need to go!!)

So that's what I mean.

However, I am on winter break now, so the only one following me around constantly is my 5-year old. And I know why she does it...because she is 5 and talks non-stop to anyone with ears. ;)

I always attribute this to "New girl syndrome," but perhaps you seem unintimidating. Be cautious. Manipulative personalities will seek you out.

I think I am very unintimidating, yes. And people sometimes misread me and take advantage. So I have been careful with manipulative personalities. It's true. I don't know if that is an INFx thing, but I do think we are ripe and ready to be manipulated. Not fooled, but thrust into situations where our sensitivities and feelings are taken advantage of. It's so hard for me to step up in those situations that when I finally do, I am so angry at being forced into the position of having to stand up for myself, that I never will forgive the person. It's a character flaw. But if people would just not be manipulative, then it wouldn't be a problem and they would never have to see that side of me that I really don't like and know very well.

I'm getting angry thinking of those people throughout my life who have done that. See...I need to be able to not get upset, but it pisses me off.

Good question. See, I can envision all of this, but others might not. I went to school the first time at a really large university (Michigan State). Lecture halls and all that. So yeah...back then I was able to just sit in the back or find a friend and cling to them all semester. Most of the classes the chairs were bolted to the floors, so people couldn't follow you.

This time I am back...after several years as a military officer. Yeah. An INFJ who was a military officer. I need to ask someone about that one... Did that for 7 years, though, so I survived. I was fine performance-wise, but I wasn't happy. So I decided to go back to school, since the husband is back in school for law school anyway, and am going to the Univ of Montana, which is much smaller. Music Composition. The classes are small, the chairs move. People are free to sit where they like.

So usually I will sit by the wall, or close to the door so I can get out easily. I don't like to have to walk in front of everyone if I need to go to the bathroom or come in late or have to leave early, etc. I also like having a seat and being in that seat the whole semester. But I have been kind of migrating away from people, and they follow me. I know it sounds weird. You would need to observe. And it sounds like I am being crazy and think everyone loves me. But I don't...it's just this weird thing that happens. I also will talk to people and try to get out the door and they will keep talking and follow me into other rooms. This drives me nuts. I might have to go to the bathroom or something and people follow me in there. (It's not that big of a deal usually, but I sometimes really need to go!!)

So that's what I mean.

However, I am on winter break now, so the only one following me around constantly is my 5-year old. And I know why she does it...because she is 5 and talks non-stop to anyone with ears. ;)

I guess so. Its hard to imagine how you are moving away from people by going from edge of the room to center.

...Reserved. Friendly. Caring. Etc....

From your first post, I think this is why people are drawn to sit by you and to accompany you to the bathroom. Seems like a no-brainer, but how can you put out that you are friendly and caring while being reserved? IDK I just have to take your word for it.

but how can you put out that you are friendly and caring while being reserved? IDK I just have to take your word for it.

Reserved doesn't mean unfriendly or uncaring. It means I hold my thoughts and feeling back most of the time, often even from people I am very close to.

A person could just as easily be unreserved, unfeeling, and uncaring. Behavior and attitudes are not necessarily a reflection of each other.

So...hmmm...an example would be that I care very much about almost everyone, so if I meet someone, I make sure they are comfortable and I smile at them, observe their behaviors to try to detect what they are thinking or feeling, but I focus all of this very much on that person, and all the while I really actually say very little. The person leaves the interaction feeling warmth and caring from me, but doesn't know much about who I am at all. I think this is usually how it goes with me, even though it's not intentional. It just usually ends up that way.

Occasionally I will feel just a complete ease toward someone, and those are the times when I am completely unreserved. I still struggle to be that way with my husband 100% of the time, though, but he would definitely say that I am caring and friendly. He tells me I am often too much so... :)

I'm not an infj and i wouldnt say im popular per se, but I am an sx variant with enneagram and I always am shocked to find out someone likes me. So Lexicas post resonated with me.
I had a client yesterday in mid-meeting just tell me, "you seem like a really nice person." Another client that day told me I was "fun". i just remember thinking , "wut? how?? "

I was totally caught off guard by those comments and unaware that I was projecting warmth or enthusiasm at the time. I even remember in college always expecting the last to be picked for group work and that not being the case.
It's always a nice surprise.

Reactions: tfg345i4u5lw
Reserved doesn't mean unfriendly or uncaring. It means I hold my thoughts and feeling back most of the time, often even from people I am very close to.

A person could just as easily be unreserved, unfeeling, and uncaring. Behavior and attitudes are not necessarily a reflection of each other.

So...hmmm...an example would be that I care very much about almost everyone, so if I meet someone, I make sure they are comfortable and I smile at them, observe their behaviors to try to detect what they are thinking or feeling, but I focus all of this very much on that person, and all the while I really actually say very little. The person leaves the interaction feeling warmth and caring from me, but doesn't know much about who I am at all. I think this is usually how it goes with me, even though it's not intentional. It just usually ends up that way.

Occasionally I will feel just a complete ease toward someone, and those are the times when I am completely unreserved. I still struggle to be that way with my husband 100% of the time, though, but he would definitely say that I am caring and friendly. He tells me I am often too much so... :)

I know what reserved means. That is exactly what I am saying.how can you be holding off your thoughts and feelings yet projecting that you are caring and friendly. You are probably just attractive.

If an infj(or other) has soft eyes, deploys eye-gaze when listening, and is openly empathetic, some person(s) receiving these, will themselves feel special, even though to the infj it may simply be a casual encounter. Without hardly saying a word, certain people can think we like them or even love them (we might or we might not). It is weird but interesting.

Last edited:
Are these people inexplicably all men?

If an infj(or other) has soft eyes, deploys eye-gaze when listening, and is openly empathetic, some person(s) receiving these, will themselves feel special, even though to the infj it may simply be a casual encounter. Without hardly saying a word, certain people can think we like them or even love them (we might or we might not). It is weird but interesting.

I actually think this very well might be the thing. The reason is that I experienced it with someone who I believe is probably an INFJ at a social event last weekend. I had never met the person, but the way he was looking at me. it was that "deployed eye-gaze" thing. I actually thought, "Whoa, this might be it, what it's often like to talk to me..." He and I were able to reach a depth in conversation fairly quickly, which almost never happens to me on my end. Usually the other person talks and divulges and I walk away having made them feel really awesome and I am so exhausted by it all that I fall straight into bed. But I wanted to sit next to him the whole party because I felt safe being there, and the conversation didn't drain me. And no, I was not into him, beyond friendly interest.

[MENTION=4726]Vict[/MENTION], this guy was gay. I do music, so a lot of the guys are gay. You never know, but it doesn't feel sexual. I don't feel "wanted" or "desired". I feel followed...

@UBBEROGO, I don't think I am unattractive, but I'm just very much the "girl next door" type. Think Kristen Stewart when she gets into her 30's...slight tomboy, very little effort is put into her appearance normally (i.e., little makeup, jeans, t-shirt), attractive enough, but definitely not the hot blonde. And I really don't want to be the hot blonde. No offense to those ladies, but it's not me to have to worry that if someone hurts my feelings and I have to go into the bathroom to cry that I am going to ruin my makeup. :)

Last edited:
And by "followed" I worry that this makes me sound like I have serious mental illness and think people are following me. It's not that. Definitely not the whole, "A Beautiful Mind" thing.

Anyway, maybe it's because I have a stomach flu, and am feeling like doo-doo, but I worry that UBERROGO thinks I am just weird, boring, or full of myself. I am weird, for sure. Otherwise, no, this was just something that was baffling me, and I think I might do that eye thing and people think they know me when they don't. I don't know. It's not all that important to me, especially if you are annoyed with me...which it seems like you might be. Oh well... I think I am going to throw up. Again.

I get the same reaction. I think it has to do with the way I see myself as well as people and the way I react. I see myself as neither below or above, Well I guess I have some insecurities so that is present, but generally I see people all as equal. So that means I see people as a distinct personality rather than outside superficial stuff that others might judge from. I see my actions as basic things, but I guess others see it differently. When I speak to someone I speak to them and it is personal. It has got me into situations that throw me off guard. I guess that eye to eye contact and talking to the person within translates to other things. I cannot tell you how many times that has lead others to believe that I like them in a romantic sense when interacting with the opposite sex. I guess for some, mostly narcissistic, a "hi" translates to "I am into you" which I get creeped out about. I have been told that it is my fault for treating everyone I encounter as a human and interact in a kind way. I know I can't and do not want to change the way I see people as well as myself so that isn't going to change. I refuse to not engage in basic conversation for fear of others latching on. I see that sought of delusion without factual evidence based on what their egos want them to believe is their problem and not mine.

I pretty sure you are all attractive females and probably late bloomers. Don't worry, it will go away once you get old.

I pretty sure you are all attractive females and probably late bloomers. Don't worry, it will go away once you get old.

LOL thanks for keeping our heads small UBER.

Oh geez. I think I am fairly "average", but late bloomer, yes. How did you know? It was a huge embarrassment when I was in high school. There was a boy on my bus would said to me once, "Roses are red, violets are black, why is your chest as flat as your back?" I wanted to hit him in the face, but of course I just was hurt for about 2 weeks. And I never forgot it, I still even remember the stupid rhyme, and that was, oh probably 18 years ago. What is wrong with me???

LOL thanks for keeping our heads small UBER.

Yeah, ummm, thanks. I think. ;) Actually, [MENTION=731]UBERROGO[/MENTION], this made me really like you, along with your message to me about putting the '@' in front of the names. (I actually tried with your name last time, but it didn't work. Maybe it'll work this time???)

Wow. This is making me like the whole INFJ thing. I didn't want to be an INFJ for years after I found out I was one. For some reason it was hard for me to accept, and I think what you are talking about here is partly the reason I didn't want to believe these things about myself, and also the reason it's so refreshing, now that I have accepted the INFJ that I am, to know there are others out there.

I get the same reaction. I think it has to do with the way I see myself as well as people and the way I react. I see myself as neither below or above, Well I guess I have some insecurities so that is present, but generally I see people all as equal.

So. I was brushing my teeth a few minutes ago, and randomly thinking back to what it was most that irked me about the military. What thing it was that I absolutely could never abide. I realized it was the rank structure. And I don't mean that I have an authority issue. I actually do not at all. But it's this concept of people being unequal that offends me very deeply. I can't take it. So I couldn't do it, and this became a real problem for me. Not professionally, but personally. I also could never find any gratification in being in a position of authority, while most of my peers did. In fact, it was a blow to me in most cases. It really was something I couldn't deal with. Not totally where you were going with this, but something that is relevant to me right this moment...

When I speak to someone I speak to them and it is personal. It has got me into situations that throw me off guard. I guess that eye to eye contact and talking to the person within translates to other things. I cannot tell you how many times that has lead others to believe that I like them in a romantic sense when interacting with the opposite sex. I guess for some, mostly narcissistic, a "hi" translates to "I am into you" which I get creeped out about.

Yup. I think we might really look people in the eye and actually listen. I also can really see into people. When I do this, I feel this sensation like my eyes are lit up. Is this crazy??? Sometimes it's too much for me, I feel vulnerable, and I have to look away. It's like trying to look directly into the sun... However, most of the time I enjoy it. But it has very often caused men to think I am into them, like you said, and IT CREEPS ME OUT like it does you. I think because with these types, the reaction is so forward, and that is a real turn-off to me. I thought this would stop when I got married, but it didn't. I was deployed to Iraq and a fellow officer decided that I wanted him. He pulled me aside and told me he saw how I looked at him, and yes, he would be interested in having a "thing" with me. Yuck. He was married with kids the same age as mine. So this has often led to not-so-awesome experiences. And no, [MENTION=731]UBERROGO[/MENTION], I am not a supermodel. I swear. I'll send you a pic if you don't believe me. It's the eye gaze. I really believe it now.

I have been told that it is my fault for treating everyone I encounter as a human and interact in a kind way. I know I can't and do not want to change the way I see people as well as myself so that isn't going to change. I refuse to not engage in basic conversation for fear of others latching on. I see that sought of delusion without factual evidence based on what their egos want them to believe is their problem and not mine.

My husband gets really annoyed at me about this, and says it's my fault when people latch on like you are talking about. He says I know what I am doing. But I don't know how to not do this. Like you said, are we just supposed to not engage in conversations? Or to be distant and aloof? This isn't me, and I would think I was hurting everyone's feelings all of the time, and I would get depressed. Sometimes I actually get annoyed with people when they find out I am, actually, not their best friend, and they are upset with me and themselves. My husband, again, says it's my fault, and that people end up not even upset with me, but only at themselves for believing this, they are embarrassed, etc. But, as you said, this is their problem, not mine, because they are allowing themselves to believe something that I have given no indication of except in body language. I seriously am the worst friend to my very best friends. They always have to pursue me, be the first to call, etc. But they understand and accept me... Others, for some reason, must find this appealing? I have no idea, but shouldn't it communicate the opposite of me being their BFF?

Now I sound cold. I'm not. These are just the dark thoughts that I am actually ashamed of, but can open up about on this board. I am starting to really not like myself when I see it all in print.