Barnabas

Time Lord
Oct 7, 2009
Florida man
MBTI
wiblywobly
Enneagram
timeywimey
So I've been thinking about this for a while, here in the Florida we have a huge number of driving accidents per year. But the process of getting a licens is fairly simple take a test, pass that, take a driving test pass that.

Thats it, then you set for life.

I believe that we should have to retest for licens on a yearly basis, you have to if you fly a plane and air travel is far afer then by road.

This helps keep young drivers ontop of road rules for fear of losing there licens and old drivers will be checked up on to make sure there still capable of driving safely.

Secondly this would provide the state with another source of revenue as they would charge people to take the test.

what do you guys think, is there need for reform or should we leave it be?

Any idea what that might cost?

Sounds like a HUGE hassle... And who needs to deal with MORE beauracracy!

It's that simple to get your license because driving is.. that simple.

I don't really think retaking and retaking and retaking the test will reduce accidents...

Accidents happen when people are careless or distracted not because they don't know how to drive.

Last edited:
I see all kinds of elderly driving in town here that should have had their license taken away YEARS AGO!

Seriously some of these people clearly can't see a thing! Getting old is a bitch, but c'mon!

In Charles City, there was a place that had a sort of T intersection and a building at the end. It had been crashed into by elderly drivers not once, but twice before it was torn down. We are talking car in the middle of the building, no slowing, just kept going like nothing was there.

Not saying all elderly drivers are bad, but if they can't see a FREAKING BUILDING in front of them, there is a problem.

One of my co-workers was blindsided by an elderly woman that didn't see him, he was just driving down the road and she pulled out of an intersection right into his side, same town!

Something about following someone that obviously is having trouble driving, go to pass, and seeing their head bobbing up and down constantly that just scares me. That can't be healthy.

Any idea what that might cost?

not entirley sure, a license in florida cost me $35.35, If the test was taken more often they could afford to reduce the cost. Maybe $20

Sounds like a HUGE hassle... And who needs to deal with MORE beauracracy!

It's that simple to get your license because driving is.. that simple.

I don't really think retaking and retaking and retaking the test will reduce accidents...

Accidents happen when people are careless or distracted not because they don't know how to drive.

Driving isn't simple, there's a lot going on and you need to be able to pay attention to all of it. Combine that with people driving offensively as opposed to defensivley and you get one big mess on the road.

So I've been thinking about this for a while, here in the Florida we have a huge number of driving accidents per year. But the process of getting a licens is fairly simple take a test, pass that, take a driving test pass that.

Thats it, then you set for life.

I believe that we should have to retest for licens on a yearly basis, you have to if you fly a plane and air travel is far afer then by road.

This helps keep young drivers ontop of road rules for fear of losing there licens and old drivers will be checked up on to make sure there still capable of driving safely.

Secondly this would provide the state with another source of revenue as they would charge people to take the test.

what do you guys think, is there need for reform or should we leave it be?

Do you actually have your drivers license already?

If not, I recommend going to the DMV and getting one as soon as possible.
After you realize how much of a pain in the ASS it is dealing with that backwards, worthless, waste of state government time and money that place is, you'll reconsider believing that having to go there once a year to retake driving tests is a good idea.

Last edited:
I would be content with a yearly eye and general awareness exam.

It took me 4 f'king hours to get my license renewed last year. I do not consider myself a violent man but I am capable. I utterly detest the long waits at the DMV and if I had to wait in line every year for a renewal I'd snap. Take the damn driving test again? Wait LONGER?! :m106:

Do you actually have your drivers license already?

If not, I recommend going to the DMV and getting one as soon as possible.
After you realize how much of a pain in the ASS it is dealing with that backwards, worthless, waste of state government time and money that place is, you'll reconsider believing that having to go there once a year to retake driving tests.

I do indeed have my license, and yes I know that the DMV is the pinnacle of state and federal beauracracy, I had a run in with them just the other day as my mom tried to get a new copy of her license after her's was stolen.

However my was incredibly simple, took a class in highschool, got paper from my teacher handed it to the folks at the DMV and got my picture taken. Took less then an hour for the whole process.

Streamline the whole thing and people could be in and out in an hour.

The words streamline and government mix like oil and water.

My only recommendation is invert the penalty system in place in most states. More lenient for newer drivers and nail older drivers who should "know" better

I do indeed have my license, and yes I know that the DMV is the pinnacle of state and federal beauracracy, I had a run in with them just the other day as my mom tried to get a new copy of her license after her's was stolen.

However my was incredibly simple, took a class in highschool, got paper from my teacher handed it to the folks at the DMV and got my picture taken. Took less then an hour for the whole process.

Hoss its the DMV, there is no streamline. There is only the bottom dollar and agitated, underpaid dungeon keepers that want to make your life as much of a living hell as they are having to suffer through every day.

My only recommendation is invert the penalty system in place in most states. More lenient for newer drivers and nail older drivers who should "know" better

No one wants to tackle it because there is the ethical issue of them having no one else to care for them. A lot are probably on their own and without any sort of decent public transportation they are sort of SOL.

However, from a utilitarian perspective, they shouldn't be permitted to risk the lives of others.

No one wants to tackle it because there is the ethical issue of them having no one else to care for them. A lot are probably on their own and without any sort of decent public transportation they are sort of SOL.

However, from a utilitarian perspective, they shouldn't be permitted to risk the lives of others.

well then... dont break the traffic laws...

Hoss its the DMV, there is no streamline. There is only the bottom dollar and agitated, underpaid dungeon keepers that want to make your life as much of a living hell as they are having to suffer through every day.

Not every one who works at a goverment building is looking to ruin your day, I met a nice middle aged women whom helped my mom out even after hearing her story.

The lady at the DMV not only moved us a aloong quickly but worked proactivley saving us another forty minutes of driving around town.

Just saying, these people take a lot of crap for working where they do and it's not there fault.

Ever been a db to a telemarketer?

Not every one who works at a goverment building is looking to ruin your day, I met a nice middle aged women whom helped my mom out even after hearing her story.

The lady at the DMV not only moved us a aloong quickly but worked proactivley saving us another forty minutes of driving around town.

Just saying, these people take a lot of crap for working where they do and it's not there fault.

Ever been a db to a telemarketer?

I know man it was mainly a knee jerk reaction of remembering my last experience at the DMV that spurred that tirade. Then my last experience with the unemployment compensation call where the guy was a complete asshole on top of confusing me with the wrong person who apparently cussed out his boss and stormed out of the building screaming obscenities at the top of his lungs.

Sometimes you can meet a wonderful person that is sweet as they can be and other times you meet the venomous dungeon keeper. Still I utterly detest dealing with bureaucracy because you are forced to do it. Telemarketers aren't so bad as I can just set the phone down and let them do all their talking, but I'm on the don't call list now so I don't have to do that anymore. :)

not entirley sure, a license in florida cost me $35.35, If the test was taken more often they could afford to reduce the cost. Maybe $20

Driving isn't simple, there's a lot going on and you need to be able to pay attention to all of it. Combine that with people driving offensively as opposed to defensivley and you get one big mess on the road.

If you're not legally blind or paralyzed or mentally incapacitated, driving should be as simple as walking or riding a bike.

You pay attention to your surroundings and you follow the signs and signals. Like I said before.. carelessness is usually causes accidents.

I would be livid if I had to retake the test every year because a large amount of teenagers like texting and eating big macs while blaring Justin Bieber in the car.

I don't think what you are proposing is fair to safe drivers. And, car insurance premiums do enough punishing to people with accidents and tickets on their records.

Reactions: Skathac
I strongly disagree, and am going to just leave it at that. Bad idea across the board.

If you're not legally blind or paralyzed or mentally incapacitated, driving should be as simple as walking or riding a bike.

You pay attention to your surroundings and you follow the signs and signals. Like I said before.. carelessness is usually causes accidents.

I would be livid if I had to retake the test every year because a large amount of teenagers like texting and eating big macs while blaring Justin Bieber in the car.

I don't think what you are proposing is fair to safe drivers. And, car insurance premiums do enough punishing to people with accidents and tickets on their records.

seriously, driving comes as easy to you as walking or riding a bike, I'm envious.

What I'm proposing is completely fair, It discriminates against no one. Safe drivers shouldn't even have to worry seeing as they would pass the test outright and bad drivers get taken off the road.

No offense but if this even slightly effects the number of deaths in Florida from road accidents then it's entirely worth it, and if you disagree with that then you should talk to the families that have lost loved ones because of incompetent drivers.