Typing with disabilities | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Typing with disabilities

Reactions: Icedream
I tried researching about MBTI and disability and only saw a few sites. But I read in the past about an MBTI test that could be used for persons with Asperger's but I'm not sure. Would have to read up more.

Reactions: Ren
I tried researching about MBTI and disability and only saw a few sites. But I read in the past about an MBTI test that could be used for persons with Asperger's but I'm not sure. Would have to read up more.
just now? you didn't have to

That's interesting. I'll do my own research and see what I can find

Reactions: Gaze
I know it is. that's the problem. It shouldn't be more acceptable because autism gets more crap then "retard"

Autism may be used as a slur or have negative connotations, but that community as whole accepts that term. The point wyote was making (or I think was making) is that just because some words are used in insulting and demeaning ways doesn't mean they're no longer relevant. But whether in academic or in intellectual disability groups, retard is no longer an acceptable term.

There is a fairly large semantic debate going on in these circles. With some preferring first person language such as "a person with a disability", and others preferring identity first language such as "a disabled person". I'm sure there are some who see "retard" as acceptable, but others who would be deeply offended by it. So you can't be right all the time, but you can at least respect the preferences of the community, or person you're speaking to.

Now for a less derailing response. I think there would be some issues with typing those who are neurologically or intellectually disable. Components like extroversion and decision making, could be startling different in a person who has a different neurological makeup.

You could actually expand this to include people with psychological illnesses and mental disorders. Would a schizophrenic INFJ be typed in the same way to a non-schizophrenic INFJ? What about an ENFP with an anti-social personality disorder? It's an interesting line of thought, but I don't believe the MBTI is nuanced enough to cover so many variables.

Autism may be used as a slur or have negative connotations, but that community as whole accepts that term. The point wyote was making (or I think was making) is that just because some words are used in insulting and demeaning ways doesn't mean they're no longer relevant. But whether in academic or in intellectual disability groups, retard is no longer an acceptable term.

There is a fairly large semantic debate going on in these circles. With some preferring first person language such as "a person with a disability", and others preferring identity first language such as "a disabled person". I'm sure there are some who see "retard" as acceptable, but others who would be deeply offended by it. So you can't be right all the time, but you can at least respect the preferences of the community, or person you're speaking to.
Fair enough

Now for a less derailing response. I think there would be some issues with typing those who are neurologically or intellectually disable. Components like extroversion and decision making, could be startling different in a person who has a different neurological makeup.
Definitely, though Now that you bring this up, I hadn't considered any extroverted types at all lmao

You could actually expand this to include people with psychological illnesses and mental disorders. Would a schizophrenic INFJ be typed in the same way to a non-schizophrenic INFJ? What about an ENFP with an anti-social personality disorder? It's an interesting line of thought, but I don't believe the MBTI is nuanced enough to cover so many variables.
I don't think schizophrenia would affect typing as much as you think. I've met one or two people with schizophrenia, and nah, it doesn't really affect the personality at all, as far as I can tell.
Are you talking about Multiple Personality Disorder? That can be a bit tricky, too, but definitely possible to do.

Reactions: Gaze
Fair enough

Definitely, though Now that you bring this up, I hadn't considered any extroverted types at all lmao

I don't think schizophrenia would affect typing as much as you think. I've met one or two people with schizophrenia, and nah, it doesn't really affect the personality at all, as far as I can tell.
Are you talking about Multiple Personality Disorder? That can be a bit tricky, too, but definitely possible to do.

Exactly. I know someone on the spectrum who identifies far more with extroversion, but acts like an introvert. She will often say that she feels like an extrovert stuck in an introverts body.

My knowledge of psychological disorders is mostly limited to academia. I would have thought experiencing an altered form of reality would have some impact on personality. It's interesting to hear it remains relatively constant.
I was thinking more of sociopaths. I know the thinking/feeling dynamic is more associated with decision making than with empathy, or caring. Still, I wonder what an ENFP sociopath would look like.

I knew a sociopath who claimed to be INFJ. never confirmed it myself though

Suggest term "intellectual disability" vs. "retardation". The word "retard" has a negative connotation although it is still often used.
In fact, many children and people in general who have milt to even severe autism, (the spectrum is vast), are in fact, genius in some areas where we mere mortals fail or fall short.. :)

Well of course. It's the principle of devotion. When you spend time on social things, it takes away from things you could potentially learn if you didn't care about that. does that make sense?

Reactions: Ren and Gaze
In fact, many children and people in general who have milt to even severe autism, (the spectrum is vast), are in fact, genius in some areas where we mere mortals fail or fall short.. :)
At my old job, I worked to help people with disabilities find jobs. This was before I had a smart phone and Google maps, so I ended up getting lost with this guy who was diagnosed with autism when I was taking him someplace to apply. He actually got us back to the office because he remembered every street and exit FROM BACKWARDS of our route and got us there by memory. He ended up getting himself a different job. He didnt need me, anyway! :tearsofjoy:

Last edited:
since we're on the subject of work at the moment, could I just say that retail is hell?

Reactions: Ren and Gaze
At my old job, I worked to help people with disabilities find jobs. This was before I had a smart phone and Google maps, so I ended up getting lost with this guy who was diagnosed with autism when I was taking him someplace to apply. He actually got us back to the office because he remembered every street and exit FROM BACKWARDS of our route and got us there by memory. It was brilliant. He ended up getting himself a different job. He didnt need me, anyway! :tearsofjoy:
No he didn't! :) That, is an awesome story acd! A real, modern day rain man! ;)

My little boy is four, and perfect... yeah yeah, every mom says this... but... ;) But I noticed that he is very routine... He gets frustrated if I differ or vary much sometimes.. little things, only I seemed to notice, and at the same time he exhibited skills other children and even as a toddler, cognitively speaking, could not even think of doing yet. He could build intricate lego systems by merely looking at the instructions, the tiny Star Wars sets made for 8 to 12 year olds - could he build while 3. I kept telling everyone that I thought he was a touch on the autism spectrum... and everyone, (as often happens to an empath INFJ ;) ) told me I was seeing things.. I digress: He started primary school this year, and two teachers met with me to say he may be high intelligence with a mild autism spectrum issue as he is smart, cognitively ahead, seems HSP, and is often "in his own imagination" or head, rather than in the classroom activity. They said if he is, that it is so very mild, that it won't hinder him much, rather perhaps give him an edge intellectually, but that the emotional / ADD type of hurdles, may present themselves as he grows older. Raised intelligence runs in the genes, so perhaps it's simply that and quirkiness / introversion.:)

Point of the tale is, many people have these issues and walk around not even knowing it, functioning quite well, much like the genius gentlemen you had the joy of taking a long walk with, acd! :)

Last edited:
interesting. you seemed okay with me using the word autism, even though it's much more commonly used with a negative connotation, And it was on your wikipedia list. Where is the safe word for it?

If you think the A word ("autism") is used just as negatively as the R word, why not decide to use neither, rather than both? That approach would ensure hurting nobody, and for that alone it is the better approach in my opinion.

That's how I would look at the issue anyway. Much love, little butterfly.

No he didn't! :) That, is an awesome story acd! A real, modern day rain man! ;)

My little boy is four, and perfect... yeah yeah, every mom says this... but... ;) But I noticed that he is very routine... He gets frustrated if I differ or vary much sometimes.. little things, only I seemed to notice, and at the same time he exhibited skills other children and even as a toddler, cognitively speaking, could not even think of doing yet. He could build intricate lego systems by merely looking at the instructions, the tiny Star Wars sets made for 8 to 12 year olds - could he build while 3. I kept telling everyone that I thought he was a touch on the autism spectrum... and everyone, (as often happens to an empath INFJ ;) ) told me I was seeing things.. I digress: He started primary school this year, and two teachers met with me to say he may be high intelligence with a mild autism spectrum issue as he is smart, cognitively ahead, seems HSP, and is often "in his own imagination" or head, rather than in the classroom activity. They said if he is, that it is so very mild, that it won't hinder him much, rather perhaps give him an edge intellectually, but that the emotional / ADD type of hurdles, may present themselves as he grows older. Raised intelligence runs in the genes, so perhaps it's simply that and quirkiness / introversion.:)

Point of the tale is, many people have these issues and walk around not even knowing it, functioning quite well, much like the genius gentlemen you had the joy of taking a long walk with, acd! :)
We were actually traveling quite a distance. He had a very specific field he wanted to work in. He wanted to work on a train. We weren't in a metro area, so I had researched closest stations and anywhere having to do with trains and networked with people in that field to introduce him (He had a car and license so he would have been able to travel if he did get hired). I wrote down the directions and then.... Because I can be disorganized... Misplaced them.

Your son sounds like an amazing little guy!

We were actually traveling quite a distance. He had a very specific field he wanted to work in. He wanted to work on a train. We weren't in a metro area, so I had researched closest stations and anywhere having to do with trains and networked with people in that field to introduce him (He had a car and license so he would have been able to travel if he did get hired). I wrote down the directions and then.... Because I can be disorganized... Misplaced them.

Your son sounds like an amazing little guy!
Aww, thank you, acd. He is <3 I feel you on the disorganized stuff.. I do this stuff too.. adhd trumps inf"J" ... at least where it comes to losing things.. ;)

There was a thread somewhere around here that paired MBTI types with mental impairments common to that type. Pretty interesting.