Typing with disabilities | INFJ Forum

Typing with disabilities

Icedream

Nothing more than a thought
Apr 14, 2017
MBTI
INFJ
I have a brother with a learning disability. He doesn't really have traits I would recognise. how do I type him?

Reactions: Ren
explain the first and last?

My mother calls it a learning disability, but it seems to be a mix between mild autism and mild retardation.

My mother calls it a learning disability, but it seems to be a mix between mild autism and mild retardation.

Suggest term "intellectual disability" vs. "retardation". The word "retard" has a negative connotation although it is still often used.

Suggest term "intellectual disability" vs. "retardation". The word "retard" has a negative connotation although it is still often used.
Both of those words are negative things. We are describing a negative thing.

interesting. you seemed okay with me using the word autism, even though it's much more commonly used with a negative connotation, And it was on your wikipedia list. Where is the safe word for it?

Reactions: Ren
interesting. you seemed okay with me using the word autism, even though it's much more commonly used with a negative connotation, And it was on your wikipedia list. Where is the safe word for it?

It's not about me vs. you, and what term I prefer you to use. These are not my lists. That's ridiculous. I was simply suggesting there is another term for retardation. It was that simple. Not meant to be rude, offensive, or complicated. Seriously. And to clarify, the term autism is still considered a widely more acceptable term while retarded is not. Sheesh.

Reactions: Ren and Icedream
I know it is. that's the problem. It shouldn't be more acceptable because autism gets more crap then "retard"

Reactions: Ren and Reason
Don't get me wrong, I'll respect that. I just think the priorities there are stupid

Reactions: Ren and Reason
The point of my post was not to take away from the point of your thread. If you want to argue the terms, that's up to you but I won't be joining you in that discussion. I only posted the links so you would see that the terms for disability are changing and have changed. It wasn't about condemning you for using the word, or making this into a long discussion about the disability terms. It was meant to be a simple suggestion.

I work in human services and just within the last year (at least in my state), have seen all of our state documentation and forms changed from saying, "mental retardation" to "intellectual disability." Some of my clients and their families noticed and stated that they were happy to see that change made. So there is something to it.

But I think you raise a good question about typing individuals with certain disabilities. I came across a really great blog by someone diagnosed with autism and it opened up an entire world for me because what we expect from others is built on how we understand, experience and communicate in the world. Though some experience much differently, their experience is just as complex. She writes that she does not communicate verbally, and that others may perceive her as less capable intellectually than she is because of that--but the blog reveals the really complex inner universe of a very intelligent person.

I think do we really need to type others? Mbti seems to be a tool best used to help us understand ourselves. I think we may miss a lot about others when we try to categorize them. Not everyone is going to fit into the mbti mold; neurotypical or not.

Last edited:
That's just it! understanding. that's what makes mbti invaluable. even if it's not a perfect fit, it lets us understand those around us better, on some level. That's why I'd like to know

So I can't use the basic term because someone decided to turn it into an insult?

Duh. What are you, gay? Do you have AIDS or something?

Dyscalculia? Dyslexia?

No, dis Dracula:

Mark+Hammermeister+Dracula.jpg

Reactions: Icedream