Transcendentalism | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Transcendentalism

I'm going to look this up in the philosophy volumes I have, but the synopsis given here goes against my religious belief that we are innate sinners, so I'm not sure it will encapsulate me personally.

[MENTION=4015]purplecrayons[/MENTION]

Well, if you're talking about Christianity it wouldn't necessarily go against your beliefs, because when Adam and Eve ate from the tree of knowledge, that was also the beginning of technology/society-- and so a return to nature could be seen as attempting to return to Eden or at least as bringing yourself closer to God.

I don't really believe in 'God' as in the being, but I wouldn't deny that there is a visceral, spiritual energy that exists in nature and not in the manmade structures that protect us from it-- which is part of why I'm also an atheist, because I believe that theist religions are manmade structures that serve the same purpose as the buildings and cars and air conditioners do-- they're part of the illusion that we can relate to these forces on our own terms using our own logic while rejecting whatever makes us uncomfortable or upset.

I believe that theist religions are manmade structures that serve the same purpose as the buildings and cars and air conditioners do-- they're part of the illusion that we can relate to these forces on our own terms using our own logic while rejecting whatever makes us uncomfortable or upset.

This was a very beautiful way to describe what you feel.

I do love the transcendentalists, along with English romantic poets, taoist and stoic philosophy, but i'm pantheist so of course I would. The transendentalists borrow a little from Hinduism, which has pantheistic elements.

Nature is all there is to me and being a part of it makes me feel so alive.

It's funny I stumbled across this post. For Christmas I got a gift card for amazon and just yesterday morning I ordered Nature, by Emerson and Walking, by Thoreau :) I also ordered The Road Not Taken and Other Poems, by Robert Frost and The Rime of the Ancient Mariner and Other Poems by Samuel Coleridge. Life is like that sometimes. Now I've gone and have gotten myself all excited!

people are becoming aware of how they are being manipulated
hate to break it, but no, thats not happening. Manipulativeness is innate to so sp, sx so and sp sx cultures, and the shift to better options can only happen by a collapse. Sure there are small hippy (so sx) reserves but nothing phenomenal. There do exist countries dominated by the good side, like india (so sx). But it works both ways, revolutions simply dont happen without collapse. Cause culture is rooted into the people and the system itself is just a side effect. Although finland used to be sp so (farm society, the good side) before cities took over (sp sx, manipulation culture). So i guess gradual changes too apparently have to be possible. I just wouldnt waste my life doing so while i could isolate myself to already existing good side cultures if i had the courage.

Oh and so sp = usa, sx so = china, just so you understand where to look for prime examples.
And sp sx = europe, professionalism, medication herd controlling and profession tyranny.

Last edited:
hate to break it, but no, thats not happening. Manipulativeness is innate to so sp, sx so and sp sx cultures, and the shift to better options can only happen by a collapse. Sure there are small hippy (so sx) reserves but nothing phenomenal. There do exist countries dominated by the good side, like india (so sx). But it works both ways, revolutions simply dont happen without collapse. Cause culture is rooted into the people and the system itself is just a side effect. Although finland used to be sp so (farm society, the good side) before cities took over (sp sx, manipulation culture). So i guess gradual changes too apparently have to be possible. I just wouldnt waste my life doing so while i could isolate myself to already existing good side cultures if i had the courage.

Oh and so sp = usa, sx so = china, just so you understand where to look for prime examples.
And sp sx = europe, professionalism, medication herd controlling and profession tyranny.

It IS happening hence all the revolutions and protests around the world

There is going to be a collapse of the old order

The question is whether the new order will be one where the people are controlled in a totalitarian environment or whether they can gain a greater say in the running of their communities

sorry if this appears off topic but it is how I have been feeling about transendental

The psychic structure is the same as what Semon calls "mneme" and what I call the " collective unconscious." The individual self is a portion or segment or representative of something present in all living creatures, an exponent of the specific mode of psychological behaviour, which varies from species to species and is inborn in each of its members. The inborn mode of acting has long been known as instinct, and for the inborn mode of psychic apprehension I have proposed the term archetype.
cg jung cw vol 6 P624

Last edited:
It IS happening hence all the revolutions and protests around the world

There is going to be a collapse of the old order

The question is whether the new order will be one where the people are controlled in a totalitarian environment or whether they can gain a greater say in the running of their communities

i would hope you are right, but i cant recall any empires in history who had anything good rising out of their ashes.

Perhaps it is indeed time for the so sp dominance in usa to be toppled off. That reminds me of indias national motto being something related to the so sx's agenda of truth and freedom. It leaves me wondering, is every cultur liable to the opposite of same instinct dominant rising and taking over?

i would hope you are right, but i cant recall any empires in history who had anything good rising out of their ashes.

Its always good for someone

Perhaps it is indeed time for the so sp dominance in usa to be toppled off. That reminds me of indias national motto being something related to the so sx's agenda of truth and freedom. It leaves me wondering, is every cultur liable to the opposite of same instinct dominant rising and taking over?

There have been a few game changers over the centuries for example the invention of writing, the invention of the printing press, the invention of radio, and now we have the internet

All these inventions have changed the world and how we all perceive it; this time around the opportunity to make positive change occur seems more likely due to the accessiblity of the internet and the viewpoints it can offer outside of the old perceptual bubble created by the mainstream media