Too much Tertiary. | INFJ Forum

Too much Tertiary.

Zero

Regular Poster
Mar 1, 2009
MBTI
INFJ
I was wondering recently about INFJ's tertiary function. I have read that Introverted thinking typically will cause a person to analyze situations or frameworks of themselves. Infj.com has this to say about it...

"[SIZE=+1]In the INFJ pattern, the tertiary process is for introverted Thinking. Thus, they habitually analyze. They devote energy to deciding whether something fits a framework or model, and will often clarify definitions to get more precision. ("Let's define our terms before we get more deeply involved in this conversation.") They enjoy categorizing, and figuring out underlying principles. Sometimes they can be seen as "critical."

[/SIZE]
My question is this, How can one be LESS involved in their tertiary? I have noticed recently that I have been over-analyzing every detail of my waking life. I have been so far as to look toward diagnoses of Purely Obesessional OCD about myself, but I still am not sure I have a disorder of some sort. Is there some kind of trick I can do to calm my mind and stop analyzing everything so much? It's starting to hamper my social life.

I was wondering recently about INFJ's tertiary function. I have read that Introverted thinking typically will cause a person to analyze situations or frameworks of themselves. Infj.com has this to say about it...

"[SIZE=+1]In the INFJ pattern, the tertiary process is for introverted Thinking. Thus, they habitually analyze. They devote energy to deciding whether something fits a framework or model, and will often clarify definitions to get more precision. ("Let's define our terms before we get more deeply involved in this conversation.") They enjoy categorizing, and figuring out underlying principles. Sometimes they can be seen as "critical."

[/SIZE]
My question is this, How can one be LESS involved in their tertiary? I have noticed recently that I have been over-analyzing every detail of my waking life. I have been so far as to look toward diagnoses of Purely Obesessional OCD about myself, but I still am not sure I have a disorder of some sort. Is there some kind of trick I can do to calm my mind and stop analyzing everything so much? It's starting to hamper my social life.
Yes. I'm pretty sure that Ti Tertiary is a trap, it certainly is for me..

:m194:

The functions perform differently depending on the other functions in your personality and the order they fall. An INTP's Ti will be expressed in a much broader then an INFJ's will.

INFJs often mistake their Ni for Ti. Analyzing does not mean you're using Ti. Ti analysis is most recognized for its rigor. Ti demands a set of conditions be met before a decision or action is taken, and when those conditions are met is precisely when the wielder advances. The conditionals set for these actions are learned through experience...the more experience the Ti user has, the more accurate and refined the conditions are (and is why it is so important for the Ti primaries...having Ne or Se as their secondary...develop that experience giving secondary function).

Although INFJs do some of this, I've noticed that they tend to think that they "Ti" a lot, and that they wield Ti very proficiently. Normally this is mistaking Ti (which is explained above and is typically not what is happening) for Ni, and I blame the descriptions of Ti saying it is the "analysis" function (the word is much too vague). Ni analyzes too, but in a much different way: it looks for patterns, instinctive reactions to one's thoughts, and often just broods/focuses the mind toward a subject until insight happens (I've done this myself :)). This is Ni analysis, not Ti.

How Ti actually tends to manifest itself in an INFJ is by being the opposite of Fe. When the conditions are met, an INFJ can grow supremely cold and critical of the offending party...betrayal is an easily seen example of this. These moments are very draining to an INFJ (as intense tertiary use often is).