Thoughts From A Tired Soul | Page 14 | INFJ Forum

Thoughts From A Tired Soul

Oh how I feel sickened. Our electric came back on in a few hours after going out. My in town neighbors, about 190, are moving into 24 hours without. The family in the car accident are safe, however with the severed pole and downed lines has them looking at 11pm tomorrow before they will have service.

The temperature here is a balmy 32°. We're on deck for snow of 3-6 inches moving in overnight. These folks are cold, hungry, and tired.

The irony is our Legion Post is dang near in the middle of the outage. It's opened its doors and kitchen to the community so folks can get warm and fed. I can't directly help but donated $200 to be used where it may.

Our senior home residents, 58 at last count, have been absorbed into neighboring homes as a way to ensure they are cared for, and the remaining families are hold up in the local school.

We are in a winter weather advisory until 7 pm tomorrow with 2,554 homes without electricity in our county, and over 40,000 in a neighboring county.

It amazes me how many people turned up to help out during what we're told is a crisis situation. I can't house anyone, but I have more money if the shelters need it. ♡ :sorrowful:

Everyone is lit again. Thank goodness. 44 hours with no heat at 34° and 6 inch snow accumulation stinks.

The snow is beautiful though. We had the thunder and lightening storm roll through Monday night leaving everything wet and the temps dropped so the snow today is stuck to branches and tall grasses. It's a winter wonderland outside.

It's close to Easter and spring yet it looks like a Christmas scene.

Saturday is going to be the day to stay put. 8-12 inches new snow on top of 6 today with tomorrow's lake effect flurries...the weather folk were correct. We started out with a big snow, then ice and freezing temps, to arrive at end of winter with more big snow.

Nature is exciting. It's aggravating, yet exciting none the less. :)

giphy.gif

Had to share this.

Even after finding out the more to the story...part of the roof blew off the barn at a local big dairy farm, snapping a few lines and causing the line drop that caught up the car in my original story. I'm still amazed that no one was hurt other than some bumps and bruises.

Our electric company fixed the poles, lines and sub station as fast as they could. Some working round the clock. Our local minimart made pizzas and coffee for the Senior home residents.

The picture was a great catch.
FB_IMG_1646913889915.jpg

The interconnectiveness of the multifaceted skills we develop in the brain never ceases to amaze me.

I'm roughly fifty pages of hand written notes on Executive Functions and how they relate to the growth and regression in skill application depending on where the individual is in their life progression.

I had initially dived into researching Executive Cognition as a means to continue to understand Dad's regression through his dementia/psychosis journey. My first thought was that since we train our toddlers, (knowingly or unknowingly), to build their executive cognition skill over time so that by the time they reach adolescence they have formed the ability to choose to use them independently, why then would it not make perfect sense that as an elder sinks deeper into dementia those skills would be lost over time and this is the root of why these individuals seem more and more childlike.

I've noticed that just as some of the children whose lives I've been part of, be it neices and nephews or babysitting for their parents, when frustrated or angry these kids act up and often lash out because they have not yet learned the rational approach to problem solving and emotional reaction.

I've learned through past experience of traumatic brain injury and working to heal and overcome the brain damage associated with that. The prefrontal cortex forms critical interconnections with deeper brain structures that control threat response and stress reactions. The docs labeled me with PTSD. I asked why at the time...learning it was from my reactions to every day stressor that 'normal' individuals may shrug off and roll with as a minor hiccup in their day. Long exposure to threatening...or perceived as threatening situations can and does compromise the development and deployment of executive function skill. Yet, well developed capabilities in these skills help children as well as adults manage stress more effectively.

The reverse is true with older individuals and dementia as their executive function access declines and they need more and more support in these areas. I.e., Focusing ability (they develop problems paying attention), managing emotions, completing tasks, communicating wants and needs verbally, retaining and using new information, controlling impulses, making plans and goal setting, direct/redirect attention to make deliberate choices, capacity to inhibit responses that are inappropriate to the situation.

My intervention with Dad was to set up the framework...which I've since learned that education professionals call it "scaffolding"...by establishing a routine, providing cues, and breaking big tasks into smaller chunks for him as a means for his keeping as much independence as possible.

Scaffolding used here is along the same lines as what builders use to erect a building. A coach uses activities to support the emergence of executive skill functioning that the individual can practice and perform on their own in much the same way that construction workers remove the scaffolding once the building itself can support them. Over time, the individual can organize themselves and get their daily tasks done without constant reminders and redirection. The reverse is true for Dad and other older individuals with/without dementia as they struggle with the brains decline.

In addition to other functions the primary function of COGNITIVE FLEXIBILITY seems in Dad's case to be the most lost to him.

Cognitive Flexibility is the capacity to nimbly 'switch gears' and adjust to changing demands, priorities, and/or perspectives. Cognitive Flexibility enables us to catch mistakes and fix them, to revise our ways of doing things in light of new information and to consider something from a fresh perspective.

"To think outside the box."

Cognitive or Mental Flexibility enables us to apply different rules to different settings-saying one thing in a trusted abd private setting, yet, saying something quite different in a public context, i.e. staff meeting vs lunch with a friend. This is called "shifting information dialog" as not to hurt another's feelings.

Teaching a skill means operating directly on the behavior of concern, in Dad's instance, a missing or weakened executive skill that may be developed or absent entirely. I believe this is a door to understanding that dementia is indeed a form of Adult Attention Deficit Disorder. My ATBI, acquired traumatic brain injury in 1988 can prove my own case of yes we can rebuild damage in the brain. I've come a long, long way from my 21-year old mindset to my now 55-year old behavioral mindset. (More about that another post.)

The take away is this: If we can routinely test our children for a variety of deficits in their cognitive function make up, why not then can we inquire with our elders to determine their regressive stage, aka decline, in relation to were they ever taught as children and adolescent stage what Executive Function is and how to build them as they employ them in daily life?

Similarly, with our young folks who have been harnessed with the labels of AADD, or AADHD ... are they disordered or simply unaware of their ability to develop their executive skill banks?

Last edited:
The take away is this: If we can routinely test our children for a variety of deficits in their cognitive function make up, why not then can we inquire with our elders to determine their regressive stage, aka decline, in relation to were they ever taught as children and adolescent stage what Executive Function is and how to build them as they employ them in daily life?

Similarly, with our young folks who have been harnessed with the labels of AADD, or AADHD ... are they disordered or simply unaware of their ability to develop their executive skill banks?

the first would call into question if it’s ethical.
The second I understand to be a separate facet of the mind as regulatory to sleep and balance in that rather than missing cognitive functionality/deterioration. Focus would need to be induced by the one using it where as the deterioration of cognition is of both. I wouldn’t call it to be impossible. Just question it’s ethics within purpose in general rather than personal. <3

The criteria for diagnosis are very clear. ADHD is a neurodevelopmental disorder. Does misdiagnosis occur? Sure...but much more so that children go undiagnosed—especially a problem for girls.

If a child, teen—or adult, for that matter—successfully improves their executive function through whatever course of training/development, that all but excludes ADHD as a diagnosis. Other causes would need to be considered.

That said, there is clinical data that shows certain structural changes in the brain that occur through plasticity—which lead to improved executive function in children diagnosed with ADHD—can be made permanent through treatment with dextroamphetamine sulfate.

I know dextroamphetamine sulfate is also used after some strokes because it can elicit function in spite of significant sequelae, and these gains tend to occur more rapidly, and are made permanent, improving both degree of recovery, and shortening time of recovery.

I know dextroamphetamine sulfate has also been tested in dementia, but I haven’t read too much about that.

I'm not sure I'm grasping your meaning. In what ways would inquiries be unethical?

I’m also wondering.

Cheers,
Ian

The criteria for diagnosis are very clear. ADHD is a neurodevelopmental disorder. Does misdiagnosis occur? Sure...but much more so that children go undiagnosed—especially a problem for girls.

If a child, teen—or adult, for that matter—successfully improves their executive function through whatever course of training/development, that all but excludes ADHD as a diagnosis. Other causes would need to be considered.

That said, there is clinical data that shows certain structural changes in the brain that occur through plasticity—which lead to improved executive function in children diagnosed with ADHD—can be made permanent through treatment with dextroamphetamine sulfate.

I know dextroamphetamine sulfate is also used after some strokes because it can elicit function in spite of significant sequelae, and these gains tend to occur more rapidly, and are made permanent, improving both degree of recovery, and shortening time of recovery.

I know dextroamphetamine sulfate has also been tested in dementia, but I haven’t read too much about that.

I’m also wondering.

Cheers,
Ian
Thank you for your input Ian. :)

More info on a topic is always helpful for me. I'm forever place marking a topic because new information sends me down another path.

This is good to know. I'll take time to see what information there is out in the interwebs.

For clarity, I'll admit I don't know much about ADHD or ADD. My putting an extra A in there was my thoughts on if it could be an 'acquired' or late onset disorder connected with dementia and other mental decline.

I am not really searching for a cure for my Dad as much as finding ways to assist him as he declines. Learning about the interconnectiveness of executive function is enlightening for me as well. I've read up a bit on neurodivergencies.

It baffles me how a man who held a Master Journeyman's job, equivalent to a PhD in machinery engineering, has difficulty now zipping his own coat. Finding ways to ease his fears and keep him safe are the end goals. I'm a believer in our transition from our human self into whatever it is we pass away into...what I find difficult to believe is how the decaying of the brain causes the same soul to struggle right up to that transition. :sorrowful:

For clarity, I'll admit I don't know much about ADHD or ADD.

That’s okay, because everyone starts from zero. Here’s a tip—the disorder is ADHD—there are no variations in nomenclature or form. “ADD” was dropped in either 1980 or 1987.

I am not really searching for a cure for my Dad as much as finding ways to assist him as he declines.

I can appreciate that. It reminds me of my father before he died. Anything I could do for him, I did.

It baffles me how a man who held a Master Journeyman's job, equivalent to a PhD in machinery engineering, has difficulty now zipping his own coat. Finding ways to ease his fears and keep him safe are the end goals. I'm a believer in our transition from our human self into whatever it is we pass away into...what I find difficult to believe is how the decaying of the brain causes the same soul to struggle right up to that transition. :sorrowful:

In our resilience, we are fragile. All that we think we know and have will be taken, sooner or later, quicker or slower. It calls into question...what makes us “us?” Are we tethered to the self by a single silken thread?

I must admit, my experience of engaging with someone afflicted with dementia is very little. One night when I was still in rehab, I tried to visit the memory care unit. Wasn’t a good idea, and the floor nurse was not happy with me.

In my family, we seem to keep our wits until the end, and the end comes because of some other system failing.

Of course, no one chooses the time or nature of either the arrival or the departure.

I don’t know your father, but if I knew even a little bit, I’d want to know how he was when he was at his best, as he would have defined that, and maybe a little about how he got there.

Blessings to You Both,
Ian

I'm not sure I'm grasping your meaning. In what ways would inquiries be unethical?
I seriously entered this thread without even reading which was rude, I apologize because I have no idea what the heck were even talking about. Like the deterioration part in being an influence within conscious awareness. Is it a matter of timing for that person? Is it ethical to snap someone out of that subconscious state, etc. but I guess that would also be a different matter of a sleep-like state in which the cause is different. I meant find the cause for it first, then deduce from there. The cause for conscious unawareness would be different for one who can’t focus due to adhd or add in comparison to dementia or traumatic brain injuries. The cause and root of the issue would be the first initial thing to find then treatment. I’m that case the treatment for memory loss from dementia (depending on the symptom being called into question) or traumatic brain injuries would be unethical to encourage a patient in subject to change or enforce upon.

Pretty much brought up pictures of an man who can’t even hold up his face having a spoon of food shoved down his throat even if he may choke on it.
Sorry. Obvious rant. I was seriously just jumping into the situation without even paying attention to what was even going on. I understand it wasn’t your intent and completely random on my part. Sorry about that. Lol a little out of it myself lately.
Will definitely start reading a lot more before I respond and even have to edit my mistakes for obvious reasons on my idiocity. Sorry for the randomness. I hope it helps bring and kind of resolve on your situation possible. <3

as for the matter of children, are we too soon to diagnose? And when is it considered ethical in an unethical or unknown field. I enjoy the possible answers being explored. I just understand that the ethical debate is far more questionable in our imperfection as humans within the human psyche. I love seeing ethics spoken about, I just understand that rift between the two. Hope it helped bring some valuable information, though completely out of subject. Seriously need to reconsider how I handle my “circle”. Lol Being a mom be rough. Lately.

Last edited:
as for the matter of children, are we too soon to diagnose?

Given how soon the disorder presents itself, I think the “must be at least seven years of age” diagnostic criterion is both reasonable and conservative.

I also know my answer is informed by me not being given a proper diagnosis as a child, and only receiving it when I was 41 years old. Let’s just say I grieved for some time over “what might have been” once I was medicated. As much as I detest the word potential as applied to people, I think not being Dx’d and Rx’d as a child squandered a great deal of mine.

Given the risks involved either way, I would always err on the side of treatment. The prevalence of drug addiction and overdose, fatal car crashes, and unwanted pregnancy in those with untreated ADHD is too much a cost to ignore.

Also, @ExhumedMorrison thank you for your explanation. Your point about reading first is good, but I would rather people enter a conversation with poor context than they not enter at all.

Cheers,
Ian

I seriously entered this thread without even reading which was rude, I apologize because I have no idea what the heck were even talking about.
No worries, we're good. ;) And, thank you for clarifying for me.

I meant find the cause for it first, then deduce from there.
Yes, this is basically what I am doing the research for. Perhaps I can find the cause, perhaps not, either direction, it will broaden my knowledge of several interconnected factors.
would be unethical to encourage a patient in subject to change or enforce upon.
Oh yes, I agree. Depending on the individual and depth of affliction.

In my own instancewith the ABI the docs had told me and my family that I would be mentally 'stuck' at the age of 21. I took the challenge and now joke that my head injuries were the thunk on the head I needed to inspire me to be a better me. I went on to complete two degrees in college. Thank goodness for the internet and it's vastness that makes researching things from home possible. It took a bit to learn to check validity of sources, but all in all I've gotten a $60 a month higher education. ;)
Not to be mistaken, when overly stressed, or an illness sets in, all of the neuroplacisity, resilience of the brain and injury repair, craps out on me and my brain trys to take the original pathways that have since created roadblocks of scar tissue and I react as if I'd just had a stroke or something. It can be quite scary in the moment. Over time I've trained my responses, docs think I'm onto something of using the same methodology of understanding PTSD and it's triggers to interupt myself and give myself time to relax and reassess my initial reaction.

Living it propells research as well.

I hope it helps bring and kind of resolve on your situation possible. <3
I do appreciate your clarifying your input, thank you. :)

Relationship can be difficult to navigate...independence is easy.

As an Eii people pleasing INFJ it's a challenge to assure another that my 'hit' of feel good chemicals is a product of pleasing him. It's selfish really. I feel good when I help him feel good ... I just don't make a lot of noise about it.

Attention and praise causes me anxiety.

I am extremely selfish...and I'm doing it for me, not for you...

FB_IMG_1647351430179.jpg