Things you notice which others don't | INFJ Forum

Things you notice which others don't

Gaze

Donor
Sep 5, 2009
MBTI
INFPishy
Whether because of type, or other senses, what things do you notice which most people don't?

not much.

What's not said often says volumes.

Reactions: basic
is that not considered common sense? (serious question)

I believe the question is what do you notice that other people usually don't. Most S types concentrate on what is said. Most N types understand that what people don't say or talk about is also telling. People tend to overlook silence but the absence of information/comments/actions/emotions offers a deeper understanding of someone too.

Last edited:
Reactions: rawr
I can't say for absolute sure what others notice or don't notice, but I tend to notice trends in interactions between individuals. Good or negative. I can almost always see what is coming usually, for that reason. An example is, if one of my friends gets involved with a guy, even if things seem absolutely perfect, I can sort of sniff them out, so to speak. I can tell almost immediately if the guy is just going to end up being a douche and break their hearts. And it usually does happen, but I never say I told you so because that is just awful. It can be really hard for me not to say "this guy is not as great for you as you think he is, you are going to get really hurt". But I keep my mouth shut, because it is up to everyone to make their own mistakes an learn their own lessons in life.

Another example is habitual behaviors in others...and if it is something that irritates me and the person keeps doing it constantly, while I hate to hurt feelings over it, I do tend to bring it up. Sometimes I can be too harsh tongued when I do and that is why I don't really like doing it. But I'm starting to realize that it is not beneficial to relationships to leave annoyances unsaid. If I brood on negative feelings instead of trying to resolve them, it just ruins things and causes me a LOT of stress, and I know this, so I usually always try to communicate and hash it out. This direct approach isn't always appreciated by other people though.

Last edited:
I believe the question is what do you notice that other people usually don't. Most S types concentrate on what is said. Most N types understand that what people don't say or talk about is also telling. People tend to overlook silence but the absence of information/comments/actions/emotions offers a deeper understanding of someone too.

I am often oblivious to both what was said and what was conveyed. :p

This is absolutely true. I read in between the lines also, I can't help myself. So often it seems that most people often try to use words to twist their actual thoughts or feelings, but I can see right through that usually.

I'm really good with defense mechanisms.

When anger is used to hide fear.
When laughter is used to dismiss something that would otherwise wound.
When a person detaches, deflects, withdraws, I can sense the motivation behind it.
I've been wrong about what is behind the wall, but I've never been wrong about there being a wall.

I tend to notice changes in mood rather quickly, I notice when a person's smile doesn't reach their eyes. I usually notice when a close friend of mine gets a hair cut, and I also take note of what isn't being said by a person.

I am often oblivious to both what was said and what was conveyed. :p

Either that or modest..
I refuse to believe a true N type wouldn't be able to intuit...

This is absolutely true. I read in between the lines also, I can't help myself. So often it seems that most people often try to use words to twist their actual thoughts or feelings, but I can see right through that usually.

i guess i don't "see right through stuff" as much as most N types

It is worth mentioning that I am only really good at this with people I have known for long enough to get a feel for them. I'm not psychic or anything lol... But I do remember tendencies.

Also, [MENTION=3252]Praefect[/MENTION] I can relate to that as well, very much so.

Interpersonal Dynamics.
I can see how two people interact, and I can tell where their relationship, regardless of kind, will most probably go.

Solutions.
In the midst of panic and crisis, I can usually come up on the spot with a somewhat of a plan to fix the problem temporarily and then plan long-term.

Opportunities.
I don't know how to explain it, but I am good at using the resources I have.

Patterns (can't deny that Ni :p )

Thought Process.
I can follow someone's thought process pretty clearly and predict their actions. (Also Ni? )

When i'm not being overwhelmed by Fe or have no personal investment in outcomes of an interaction, and i can simply observe - i pick up a ton of stuff. But it's not something which comes easily. Much of it is learned and some is interesting pieces of information i pick up along the way, which really has no value unless i was a therapist or psychologist for those involved, and then i could pretty much tell you almost everything that's happening with you, and around you.

Last edited:
When i'm not being overwhelmed by Fe or have no personal investment in outcomes of an interaction, and i can simply observe - i pick up a ton of stuff. But it's not something which comes easily. Much of it is learned and some is interesting pieces of information i pick up along the way, which really has no value unless i was a therapist or psychologist for those involved, and then i could pretty much tell you almost everything that's happening with you, and around you.

overconfident much? :m083:

Reactions: rawr
overconfident much? :m083:
I don't think so. I think N types kind of have that insight into people. I think it's a well trained Ni with an accumulated experience of observing patterns and connections.

Reactions: Gaze

+1

I do notice physical details fairly quickly - haircuts, new glasses, changes around personal appearance, etc. However, this is with people not environments.

I think I pick up on some behind-the-lines meaning but probably not as much as some people here.