The religion coexisting with science thread. | Page 4 | INFJ Forum

The religion coexisting with science thread.

Your views about Christianity stem from this?

No, not totally…I wouldn’t just take it all at face value…because well, people are liars and are mostly full of shit…lol.
When presenting a biased argument, the presentee has no obligation to show facts to the contrary.
But, independently following up on the first movie…the idea of the Bible stories and the birth of Jesus drawing it’s ideas from formerly and (at that time) established religious beliefs and customs, there are far too many correlations for it to be coincidence alone.
I was actually raised Christian and my family life was quite centered around it…it wasn’t until my older brother came out to my parents as gay that we ended up leaving the church for their anti-gay views…my parents decided that my brother was indeed not “evil” just attracted to men.
Anyhow…I know Zeitgeist is basically atheist propaganda…but a large portion of evidence they present is factual if you fact check it.
Of course too, there are many websites you can find that take the movie apart…so, in the long run, it comes down to a question of faith once again.
I am not trying to take anyone’s faith away…I feel I have no right to do that…I actually think it is great that people can have so much faith in something like religion…I only see faith like that as a good thing. IMO it is only negative when people try to force their religious views onto others via laws or more subversive means.

I have given it considerable thought. While I cant prove it I almost certainly sure a great deal more than you have.
You never have an argument, you only tell me I am incorrect. Honestly saying things without having to back them up is incredibly easy.

You sure you'd not like to type something which makes sense instead?

Reactions: the
No, not totally…I wouldn’t just take it all at face value…because well, people are liars and are mostly full of shit…lol.
When presenting a biased argument, the presentee has no obligation to show facts to the contrary.
But, independently following up on the first movie…the idea of the Bible stories and the birth of Jesus drawing it’s ideas from formerly and (at that time) established religious beliefs and customs, there are far too many correlations for it to be coincidence alone.

Correlation is precisely that though, correlation, its not causation. Although if there are frequent coincidences it's possible that there's a pattern and causation, although its just as possibility. If there is a pattern too, I dont necessarily see that it invalidates Christianity, it could instead be a validation. PKD wrote a great book called The Divine Invasion, its fiction, although it makes as good a depiction of the "mind" of a deity or divinity as I've ever read, it incorporates something like what you've described here as a process of God "remembering" the future.

In any case I'd always ask why they are seeking to present the data sets they are, what is the purpose, a lot of the time its a muddled left wing idea of attacking tradition or traditionalism, an unconscious and implicit defense of the modernity which has faultered and failed so badly in all the ways that it has challenged the earlier narratives ethically, normatively or in any other way.

I was actually raised Christian and my family life was quite centered around it…it wasn’t until my older brother came out to my parents as gay that we ended up leaving the church for their anti-gay views…my parents decided that my brother was indeed not “evil” just attracted to men.

In my own tradition, roman catholicism, there's not the same tendency, of late at least, to label people as evil, evil is as evil does rather, the old testament passages which people opposed to or promoting homosexual behaviour tend to focus upon male rape actually and I have absolutely no problem with anyone saying that rape of anyone is evil. Its not the same as homosexuality as an orientation though which isnt well understood or recognised by any of the most vocal sides on that particular debate.

On balance a lot of the people attacking the historical demonisation of homosexual orientation and behaviour havent bothered to examine too closely why those ideas have existed, they've dismissed it all as bigotry, superstition, hatred and I think that's a mistake. It increases the hate. On both sides.

Anyhow…I know Zeitgeist is basically atheist propaganda…but a large portion of evidence they present is factual if you fact check it.
Of course too, there are many websites you can find that take the movie apart…so, in the long run, it comes down to a question of faith once again.
I am not trying to take anyone’s faith away…I feel I have no right to do that…I actually think it is great that people can have so much faith in something like religion…I only see faith like that as a good thing. IMO it is only negative when people try to force their religious views onto others via laws or more subversive means.

I dont think its a matter of faith but I think a lot of the discussions, which are lengthy and involved with a lot of emotional investment on either side, often a lot more than there is intellectual integrity and I think that's to do with the people who rise to prominance in those kinds of discussions and the people who support them and, more importantly, why. I dont think its any accident that, for instance, the people who were once involved in discussion of public ethics, morality, sociology, economics are sidetracked into the existential and evidential side of religion. Its a neutralisation of radicalism, ghettoisation of radicalism and fits with patterns of intergenerational change and even individual maturation in a manner which is safe for the status quo.

I dont see faith or religion per se as necessarily good at all, Christian history and the scriptures themselves have a lot of records of religion used as a pretext, its abuse more than its use to be honest, the bible is a brilliant book for anyone opposed to religious belief in that respect, something which is little understood by most of the people rebelling against religion and tradition with pop atheism. Its not just bad when it seeks to legislate for non-believers and believers alike, sometimes that's not necessarily a bad thing, for instance prohibitions upon infanticide or murder, but in those instances it should be clear that the legislation is valid for reasons other than a religious belief structure alone.

This relates to another question of good and bad religion, not the same, and good or bad secularism and atheism, not the same thing either.

You sure you'd not like to type something which makes sense instead?

Why, you dont.

Anyway this isnt a debate thread. Its a thread about finding common ground.

Why, you dont.

Anyway this isnt a debate thread. Its a thread about finding common ground.

I think dialogue with you has about maxed out its usefulness.

I think dialogue with you has about maxed out its usefulness.

Thats generally what happens when people realize others will not simply accept their words without question. From my perspective its simply not a great loss on my part to lose your input.

Thats generally what happens when people realize others will not simply accept their words without question. From my perspective its simply not a great loss on my part to lose your input.

Well, so long as that works for you good luck with it.

Correlation is precisely that though, correlation, its not causation. Although if there are frequent coincidences it's possible that there's a pattern and causation, although its just as possibility. If there is a pattern too, I dont necessarily see that it invalidates Christianity, it could instead be a validation. PKD wrote a great book called The Divine Invasion, its fiction, although it makes as good a depiction of the "mind" of a deity or divinity as I've ever read, it incorporates something like what you've described here as a process of God "remembering" the future.

In any case I'd always ask why they are seeking to present the data sets they are, what is the purpose, a lot of the time its a muddled left wing idea of attacking tradition or traditionalism, an unconscious and implicit defense of the modernity which has faultered and failed so badly in all the ways that it has challenged the earlier narratives ethically, normatively or in any other way.

In my own tradition, roman catholicism, there's not the same tendency, of late at least, to label people as evil, evil is as evil does rather, the old testament passages which people opposed to or promoting homosexual behaviour tend to focus upon male rape actually and I have absolutely no problem with anyone saying that rape of anyone is evil. Its not the same as homosexuality as an orientation though which isnt well understood or recognised by any of the most vocal sides on that particular debate.

On balance a lot of the people attacking the historical demonisation of homosexual orientation and behaviour havent bothered to examine too closely why those ideas have existed, they've dismissed it all as bigotry, superstition, hatred and I think that's a mistake. It increases the hate. On both sides.

I dont think its a matter of faith but I think a lot of the discussions, which are lengthy and involved with a lot of emotional investment on either side, often a lot more than there is intellectual integrity and I think that's to do with the people who rise to prominance in those kinds of discussions and the people who support them and, more importantly, why. I dont think its any accident that, for instance, the people who were once involved in discussion of public ethics, morality, sociology, economics are sidetracked into the existential and evidential side of religion. Its a neutralisation of radicalism, ghettoisation of radicalism and fits with patterns of intergenerational change and even individual maturation in a manner which is safe for the status quo.

I dont see faith or religion per se as necessarily good at all, Christian history and the scriptures themselves have a lot of records of religion used as a pretext, its abuse more than its use to be honest, the bible is a brilliant book for anyone opposed to religious belief in that respect, something which is little understood by most of the people rebelling against religion and tradition with pop atheism. Its not just bad when it seeks to legislate for non-believers and believers alike, sometimes that's not necessarily a bad thing, for instance prohibitions upon infanticide or murder, but in those instances it should be clear that the legislation is valid for reasons other than a religious belief structure alone.

This relates to another question of good and bad religion, not the same, and good or bad secularism and atheism, not the same thing either.

Sorry, it took a while to write back…I haven’t been on very much lately.
Yes, you are right…the correlations or “coincidences” between stories or myths could indeed act as proof of a higher power, however, this would mean one would have to look toward Christianity as only one piece of a greater picture.
I’ll have to look for that book…it sounds interesting.

And yes..the left-wing liberals do take things too far to the left as to make themselves look ridiculous…such as trying to take prayer completely out of schools to the effect of looking like assholes…lol. I don’t see a problem with prayer in school just as long as it isn’t required or done in a way as to exclude anyone of any faith or nonbelievers.
Your example of your own teachings in regards to homosexuality are a prime example of what I find frustrating with most modern religious institutions these days…they are very selective in the teachings that they find personally beneficial, while ignoring other teachings that should be held to the same esteem.

Such as the teachings on the rich and the shrugging off of materialism in order to be worthy of heaven.
And then there are teachings that at one point in time had a purpose and due to either technology or changes in societal values, have no meaning and should be looked upon as antiquated. But then of course, who decides which are outdated? Stoning witches to death may have once been a perfectly fine activity to participate in, but would of course land you in prison now. And that is part of why there are great divides amongst the Christian religions…there is something like 33,000+ denominations in the world…and each one seems to think it is the sole ticket to paradise….do they not see how ridiculous that is?

I agree with you…people often fall back on religion when ruling over society IMO because it is easier to stick with the status quo than to evaluate the current societal values and move forward with them…but I also don’t think that they should be forgotten or ignored either…especially in a society that is mostly Christian or was founded using such principles.
People turn away from, or destroy what they don’t understand.

My own personal view of God is one of pure benevolence…my own belief is one that God is absent from us while we are here on earth…I don’t believe that He answers prayers..nor that he blesses anyone anymore than anyone else. In order to have true free will in it’s purest form - God must not interfere at all.
And I feel we were well aware of what we were getting into by choosing this life…but we chose it anyhow, because in order to truly grow we must know suffering, hatred, pain, jealousy, anger, etc. My own view is that one cannot really understand, and in understanding - exuding love and compassion, unless one sees and FEELS the stark opposite.
Back to the topic on hand…I do feel that science and religion can easily go hand in hand, with little to no concessions on the part of Christianity…only the understanding that the stories are more parable than actual history.

As for faith…I do see faith as good…we all have faith in certain things every day…we have faith that the sun will rise…that we will make it to work without a terrible accident…but yes, faith can make you take certain things for granted too. Such as driving to work…we have faith that we will see our loved ones the next time we plan to get together…and so we maybe don’t tell them “I love you” that one last time…we tend to believe the chaos of the universe will turn the other guy’s life upside down, not our own. But faith too has been shown to heal the sick…by the mere belief that there is someone up there watching over, and helping that person. The placebo effect added to religious zeal can be incredibly strong…lol.
Like anything else…faith can be used for good or evil.