[Images] - The Psychology of Conspiracy Theorists and Theories | Page 4 | INFJ Forum

[Images] The Psychology of Conspiracy Theorists and Theories

Rium

• Total voters
http://www.infowars.com/obama-information-czar-confronted-over-ban-conspiracy-theories-paper/

[h=3]Obama Information Czar Confronted Over “Ban Conspiracy Theories” Paper[/h]

Claims to have no memory of saying free speech should be taxed
Steve Watson
Infowars.com
May 1, 2012
16Sunstein-span-articleLarge.jpg

During a rare public appearance, the Obama Administration’s Information Czar Cass Sunstein told a crowd gathered at the NYU Law School in NYC yesterday that he has little recollection of writing a 2008 paper that called for a ban on conspiracy theorizing.
In the question and answer portion of the lecture, We Are Change founder Luke Rudkowski confronted Sunstein concerning his avocation of a “provocateur” style program to silence what have become the government’s most vociferous and influential critics.

With tongue firmly in cheek, Rudkowski introduced himself as “Bill de Berg from Brooklyn college,” before directly asking Sunstein to explain his comments.
“I know you wrote many articles, but I think the most telling one about you is the 2008 one called ‘Conspiracy Theories,’ where you openly advocated government agents infiltrating activist groups for 9/11 truth, and also to stifle dissent online,” Rudkowski stated.
“Why do you think the government should go after family members and responders who have questions about 9/11?” he asked Sunstein.
“I’ve written hundreds of articles and I remember some and not others,” Sunstein replied, denying that he has a firm recollection of the paper.
“I hope I didn’t say that, but whatever was said in that article, my role in government is to oversee federal rulemaking in a way that is wholly disconnected from the vast majority of my academic writing, including that,” Sunstein added.
“I know that, I’m just asking because you may be the next Supreme Court Justice if Obama appoints you, and you did write those things,” Rudkowski replied.
“I may agree with some of the things I have written but I’m not exactly sure. I focus on what my boss wants me to do,” Sunstein said, intimating that he was just following orders.
When Rudkowski asked if Sunstein would retract his comments about banning opinions that differ from those of the government, Sunstein again claimed he did not remember the article he had written and his personnel intervened to prevent Rudkowski pressing him on the matter.
Watch the video:

[video=youtube;4OIiOztc52g]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OIiOztc52g[/video]

Within his infamous paper, which can be downloaded here, Sunstein outlined plans for the government to infiltrate “conspiracy groups,” including the 9/11 Truth Movement, in order to undermine them via postings on chat rooms and social networks, as well as real meetings.
The specifics of the plans must be read in full in order to gauge their extreme nature and the threat Sunstein poses to the freedom in America.
On page 14 of the paper, he proposed that “under imaginable conditions” the government “might ban conspiracy theorizing” and could “impose some kind of tax, financial or otherwise, on those who disseminate such theories.”
In effect, Obama’s information czar called for taxing or banning outright, as in making illegal, opinions and ideas that the government doesn’t approve of.
Sunstein’s definition of a “conspiracy theorist” encompasses those who question manmade global warming and, most bizarrely, anyone who believes that sunlight is healthy for their bodies.
Presumably if Sunstein had been in power in the latter middle ages he would have attempted to tax and then ban the work of Galileo Galilei for subscribing to the theory that the Earth was not the centre of the universe and that it actually revolved around the Sun.
When he’s not going after those evil sunlight lovers, Sunstein advocates Internet censorship via enforced and regulated links in news pieces to opposing opinions.
Sunstein himself later retracted that proposal, explaining that it would be “too difficult to regulate [the Internet] in a way that would respond to those concerns,” and admitting that it was “almost certainly unconstitutional.”
Sunstein has also called for the re-writing of the First Amendment, and has even proposed a mandatory celebration of tax day in America.
His views on the Second Amendment have also raised serious concerns. In his book “Radicals in Robes,” he wrote: “[A]lmost all gun control legislation is constitutionally fine.”
Sunstein is on record attacking the Second Amendment. Watch in the following clip as he says “The Supreme Court has never suggested that the Second Amendment protects the individual right to have guns.”

[video=youtube;flfHZgT-SeI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flfHZgT-SeI[/video]

Given his extreme actions and stated intentions, Cass Sunstein should be forced out of office and barred from practicing law with immediate effect. If president Obama has his way, however, we may very soon see his good buddy Sunstein elevated to the highest judicial position in the country.
—————————————————————-
Steve Watson is the London based writer and editor for Alex Jones’ Infowars.net, and Prisonplanet.com. He has a Masters Degree in International Relations from the School of Politics at The University of Nottingham in England.

[h=1]31 Celebrity Conspiracy Theories, Ranked[/h]90,321
19e90ps1gkk0hjpg.jpg
[h=4]Callie Beusman[/h]ProfileFollow

Callie BeusmanFiled to: CONSPIRACY THEORIES

5/02/14 4:20pm

grpogjnrqy0zukqyri8u.jpg
If you were to believe everything you read on the Internet, you'd think that every celebrity is an ambulatory heap of fake body parts mind-controlled by President Obama, who is a shapeshifting reptoid from a faraway star system (plus, having an affair with Beyoncé).
It is a lot to sort through. But, you know, it's important to have an active imaginary life and/or a game plan if the reptilian overlords do decide to stop hiding cryptic symbols in Willow Smith videos and get to openly subduing the world population in the name of Satan.
So here, for your reading ease and pleasure, is a list of Notable Celebrity Conspiracy Theories, Ranked From Worst to Best. (My criterion for knowing which theory is the best is reflecting upon the amount of pleasure I would glean from drunkenly and emphatically explaining it to a stranger.)
31. Marisa Tomei's Oscar was a mistake.
According to this theory, Marisa Tomei did not actually win an Oscar for her performance inMy Cousin Vinny. The person presenting the award just read the envelope wrong, and everyone was too embarrassed to do anything about it so we all had to pretend like what's what happened. Marisa Tomei does not like this rumor.
30. Khloe Kardashian's dad is [insert human tangentially related to her family].
Khloe doesn't look like her sisters, thus her dad is either O.J. Simpson or some haircutter guy. This theory is unexciting because I care little about who begot which Kardashian; plus, it was a plot line on Keeping Up With the Kardashians already, which means all the fun has been sucked out of it by the gluttonous vampire jaws of Kris Jenner.
29. Tom Cruise's love interests are under contract.
Everyone knows about this. Tom Cruise is rumored to audition his potential girlfriends in a weird Scientology wife-quest.
28. Pippa Middleton wore a fake butt to her sister's wedding.
After three years of devoted study, some Royal Expert alleges that Pippa Middleton's butt was "false" and "an optical illusion" at the Royal Wedding. K.
27. Taylor Swift goes on 4chan.
Someone was posting on 4chan saying that they're Taylor Swift. There is a lot of evidence for this, some of it to do with her cat, which is nice. My evidence for is that Taylor Swift has participated a lot of seemingly unenjoyable hobbies, like listening to John Mayer say sentences and eroding the Rhode Island coast, so maybe this is just another one of them.
26. Ronan Farrow's alluring blue eyes are fake.
RONAN IS LYING TO US ALL ABOUT HIS EYES ALL THE TIME BECAUSE HE WANTS US TO THINK HE LOOKS LIKE FRANK SINATRA.
25. Lorde is secretly 45, or an ageless and wise elf, or something.
This rumor was started by someone who was not capable of understanding how a Cool Teen could come to be so cool, having only existed for a teen-amount of years. Her birth certificatesays she's 17 (but maybe she used all of her years of wisdom to forge it??? Idk).
24. Jennifer Lawrence faked her Oscars fall to stay on "adorably clumsy" brand.
Some people on the Internet think that Jennifer Lawrence fell over on purpose at the Oscars this year because falling at the Oscars is her "thing" now. I like this rumor because it shows that we, as a civilization, are skeptical about literally everything and we like to make elaborate posts about our skepticism.
23. Kanye and Taylor Swift was an inside job.
Everyone's Favorite Meme of VMAs Past was FAKED FOR ATTENTION, think some. Evidence for: the VMAs suck and MTV needed to get people talking about something; T-Swift and Kanye share an agent; Taylor Swift is very good at making a fake surprised face. Evidence against: Taylor Swift still sheds teardrops on her guitar about it.
22. Michael Jackson was chemically castrated by acne medication.
This theory is extremely crazy and people go fucking nuts trying to defend it, which are two hallmarks of a Good Conspiracy, but it also just makes me feel sad. I would not like to tell a stranger about it while pouring wine down my quivering chin like the Steward of Gondor. Anyway, this is how it goes: some French doctor wrote a book arguing that the acne medication Michael Jackson took when he was 12 had the side effect of preventing puberty, which is why Jackson's voice never changed and why he had a slight build for his entire life.
21. Paul McCartney died in a car crash and was replaced by a lookalike.
This theory is really well-known, too. I like it because people claim that Paul 2.0 was an orphan who won a Paul McCartney lookalike contest, which is a very pragmatic solution on the Beatles' part.
20. James Hewitt is Prince Harry's dad.
James Hewitt is some cavalry guy who said that he had an affair with Princess Diana from 1986-1991. A lot of people think that he is maybe Prince Harry's real dad because they lookSO MUCH ALIKE.
19. Beyoncé was never pregnant.
This conspiracy isn't higher on the list because it's, like, kinda a trite one (no offense, Bey-womb-truthers). Anyway, there was that whole floppy stomach thing and a lot of security in the maternity ward. I think the nation is going to be divided on this issue until we're all engulfed in a fiery apocalypse.
18. Marilyn Manson was on The Wonder Years.
WHATEVER, I THINK IT'S TRUE.
17. There is a ghost in Three Men and a Baby.
It's a literal fact that there is a ghost-boy in the curtains in this cinematic treasure.
16. Megan Fox has been replaced by a clone, twice.
That seems like a way more reasonable explanation than plastic surgery.
15. Tupac and Jim Morrison and Elvis are alive.
All of these theories are too widely-known to be exciting to me. I would like this conspiracy a lot better if the rumor was they were all living somewhere together. I would like it the best of all if they'd secretly raised Kate Middleton to become a beloved princess, in a Three Men and a Baby-type situation. (And the on-set ghost in this scenario would be the ghost of the original Megan Fox).
14. Beyonce is Solange's mom.
This one is good because believing it means you have to be really bad at math.
13. Baby Suri is an alien, or Ethan from Lost is her dad.
We live in a world of chaos and confusion, and there is absolutely no rational reason for why Baby Suri was born with a full, lustrous head of hair. Either that baby-stealer from Lostfathered her and then there was an elaborate cover-up scheme that involved a baby wig, or it was Scientology aliens.
12. The CIA murdered Marilyn Monroe.
Some theorize that the CIA and FBI murdered Marilyn Monroe because she knew too much and drank a lot, i.e., they feared that she'd drunkenly tell people about top secret government secrets. Also, she apparently hung out with a lot of Communists, which was something that the shadowy people lurking behind our government were decidedly not into. Others say that the mob did it. Whatever, THE CIA IS TERRIFYING.
11. The CIA poisoned Bob Marley.
THE CIA IS EVEN MORE TERRIFYING IN THIS ONE: they murdered Bob Marley viacancerous boots, or so the conspiracy goes. CANCEROUS BOOTS. You can't trust anyone, not even the sturdiest and most reliable of footwear (but especially not the government).
10. Nicholas Cage is a vampire.
There is a photo of Nicholas Cage just hanging out during the Civil War, which obviously means that he is a vampire who reinvents himself every 75 years or so. He has seen all the artifacts from National Treasure in real life, which is why his performance in that film was so believable.
9. Keanu Reeves is immortal.
This conspiracy theory is so good that it has its own website. Keanu Reeves is the same person as Charlemagne. This explains why he is so kind and generous (he has the wisdom and generosity of spirit of centuries), and also why he sometimes gets so sad. It must be hard watching all of your companions shuffle off the mortal coil.
8. Baby North West is the Antichrist.
If you add up all the numbers in this baby's birth date, you get 666!!!!!!! THE ANTICHRIST IS RISEN.
7. The Royal Baby is also the Antichrist.
Maybe that's why he took that other baby's toy that one time?
6. Britney Spears' meltdown was the Bush administration's doing.
According to this one theory, Britney Spears' public meltdown was orchestrated by the Bush administration in order to distract from its myriad problems overseas (now, instead of Brit, W. can use his painting career to distract us from his humans rights abuses!). This is an A+ concept because it is batshit but also a sharp criticism of our obsession with celebrity culture, maybe.
5. Miley Cyrus is a puppet of the Obama administration.
This is like the previous theory, but contemporary and extra-believable because it comes from the lead singer of Korn. As the Hot Topic-core musician points out, Obama signed a law allowing the government to hold prisoners indefinitely without trial around the same time as the VMAs. WAKE UP, AMERICA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
4. Miley Cyrus died in 2010 and now there is a replacement Miley.
According to this one little forum, Miley Cyrus' body was found in the desert in 2010; the story was on one news website briefly (although no one else picked it up?) and was then retracted. She was then replaced by another unknown Disney star who got plastic surgery to look like her. Evidence for: circles drawn on Miley Cyrus' face pre-2010 point to features that look exactly like her features now. SPOOKY! Evidence against: there is absolutely no way this happened. But I would definitely spend ~2 hrs researching this and ~3 hours sloppily repeating it to people.
3. JUSTIN BIEBER IS A REPTOID.
Look at that thing his eyes did that one time!!!! Also, having weird lizard hands would explain why he is so bad at graffiti.
m3urc8kzqy0holqs9yyr.jpg
Fig. 1., WAKE UP, AMERICA!!!!
2. Beyonce is possessed.
This theory is supremely excellent because believing it means you have to have a fundamental misunderstanding about how metaphor functions.
1. All celebrities are puppets controlled by a collective of shapeshifting reptoids from space called the Illuminati, and every time you see a triangle it is their doing.
Obviously.
p0rxmth7kieqllt2lhmn.jpg
Fig. 2, hidden Illuminati symbolism in Beyonce's outfit.

http://jezebel.com/31-celebrity-conspiracy-theories-ranked-1570845261

@lasagna

I'd just like to say that if your professor is a 'marxist' then he is a believer in a theory about a conspiracy by the ruling class to control the workers

He is a conspiracy theorist...you should perhaps point that out to him

2152207961_456c5a1b21_b_chemtrail-708x350.jpg
2152207961_456c5a1b21_b_chemtrail - Photo by nimbus186 Full view

[h=1]Climate Change Denying Congressman Confronted By Reality Denying Chemtrail Believers (VIDEO)[/h]April 24, 2015Akira Watts Science

Paul Gosar, a Republican representative from Arizona, found himself in a bit of a situation at a recent town hall meeting. Everything started so well, until a chemtrail conspiracy theorist stood up, and things took a turn for the surreal:
My body is filled with barium, aluminum, and strontium, and nobody is doing anything about it. That’s why I’m here today. Because we want answers and we want something done instead of being placated and have people make fun of us about tin-foil hats. Well, go get your blood tested. You’ll throw your tin-foil hat away, as well as your jokes. This is a serious matter.
This intriguing word salad was nicely punctuated by the claim that “We don’t need science!” So yes, that happened to Paul Gosar. And it couldn’t have happened to a nicer guy, for reasons which I will get into shortly. As conspiracy theories go, chemtrails are bottom of the barrel. The notion that anything – whether mind control or geoengineering – can be accomplished by spraying trace amounts of chemicals into the stratosphere is nothing more than laughable pseudoscience. It has been debunked and debunked again. Here’s the funny thing though, while Gosar found himself at a loss when confronted by the fringiest of the fringe, he’s got a pseudoscientific skeleton or two in his closet.
I speak, of course, of climate change, and Gosar’s unscientific and blatantly incorrect views regarding it. Back in 2011, Gosar somehow managed to blame the record breaking wildfires that had recently swept the state of Arizona on “extreme environmental groups:”
The first meeting of a House panel on forest health Tuesday turned into a forum for lashing out at “radical environmentalists” — and, to an extent, the federal government — as the cause of the size of the recent fires. . . [Gosar] said the state’s commercial timber industry needs to be resurrected to deal with thousands of acres of “badly overgrown” forests. “But bureaucratic red tape, preventing the private sector from participating in the stewardship of our public lands, combined with the excessive litigation initiated by some extreme environmental groups, resulted in the loss of Arizona’s timber industry and the jobs provided by the responsible management of our natural resources,” he said.
This, of course is nonsense. It is well established that the extreme weather fluctuations driven by climate change are associated with an increased risk of forest fires. But Gosar can’t bring himself to admit that. In his mind climate change simply isn’t happening. He’s so sure that it isn’t happening that, in 2014, he sponsored a bill prohibiting the funding of a program to model climate change:
I am pleased to see my colleagues in the House join me in my efforts to cut waste, fraud and abuse and prohibit funds from going towards a new Climate Model Development and Validation program within the Department of Energy. Congress should not be appropriating precious taxpayer resources on new programs that compete with the private sector. If funded, this program would have been yet another new addition to the President’s ever growing list of global warming programs that have been instituted and funded all over the federal government in recent years.
Given all that, there’s some mild irony to be found when a man who denies science finds himself in opposition to a man yelling that “we don’t need science.” It’s nice to see Gosar get a taste of his own medicine and, for a change, have to be the rational one in the room. When your only hope of appearing sane is to stand amongst chemtrail conspiracy theorists, you might be advised to reexamine your life choices.
But here’s the thing: we can all sit back and laugh when people begin babbling about chemtrails. It is a fundamentally silly notion. But, as nonsense goes, it’s harmless. No matter how much people yowl about chemtrails and mind control and geoengineering, they’re not going to have any impact, on anything, ever. But when it comes to the climate change denialism of Paul Gosar, stupidity has consequences. For Gosar and his ilk are in a position where they do wield power and engage in activity that damages not just the country, but the entire world. Their denialism serves to prevent meaningful action to combat climate change. It’s gratifying to see Gosar get a taste of his own medicine, yes. But still better would be if we managed to educate people to the point where climate change denialism is regarded as laughable pseudoscience, just like chemtrails.
Watch the video below (h/t Raw Story):

http://reverbpress.com/discovery/sc...ed-reality-denying-chemtrail-believers-video/

[MENTION=1939]Stu[/MENTION]

I wouldn't say that every theory out there is credible

You seem to be trying to discredit all theories by lumping them altogether into silly little montages made up of an assortment of bizarre stuff people have said online!

The point is that if you want to seek the truth you have to investigate each claim as a seperate claim

But its worth baring in mind that there are government agents online spreading dissinfo to try and add to the confusion

So to understand what is credible and what isn't you need enough background information to be able to see the underlying picture

Why I Write About (and Debunk) the Chemtrail Conspiracy Theory

bpxn0qeubyebbf6gmov4.jpg
Dennis Mersereau

entkc7cxlt6ywyfp1yp7.jpg

In 2003, Barbra Streisand frantically tried to censor pictures of her home in Malibu after someone posted them online. In 2003, millions of people saw pictures of Barbra Streisand's home in Malibu. In what became known as the Streisand effect, attempts to suppress information about something usually backfires and leads to even more publicity for the supposedly secret thing.
There is a strong argument in the weather community that we should ignore the growing number of people who sincerely believe that there is a worldwide governmental conspiracy to control the weather through, among other means, "chemtrails." Bringing attention to their cause, one may argue, only helps to attract more attention and thereby more adherents to this particular brand of anti-science.
While that is probably true for a small number of people, ignoring the conspiracy theorists only makes them scream louder for attention through the Streisand Effect. The best way to remedy a situation isn't to bottle it up and pretend that it isn't happening, but rather to shine light on it and expose the silliness for what it really is.
mei1cccwalhvrpapjfkr.jpg

If you're not familiar with the chemtrail conspiracy theory, let me fill you in real quick. The thin, wispy clouds left behind by high-flying aircraft are known as contrails, short for condensation trails. These clouds are left behind as a result of the warm, moist exhaust of the plane's engines meeting the extremely cold temperatures of the upper atmosphere. It's a similar principle behind why you can see your breath on cold mornings.
Contrails appear and disappear based on the moisture content of the air through which the plane is passing. If the upper atmospheric air is moist, the plane will leave a contrail that could last hours and spread out into a deck of cirrus. If the air is extremely dry, it might not leave a contrail at all.
Since about the mid-1990s, there's a subset of people who believe that these contrails are really chemtrails, or trails of vaporized chemicals being sprayed into the atmosphere by aircraft that are really flying around with with tanks full of chemicals rather than passengers. These alleged chemtrails are the work of any number of groups: governments, companies, Jews, you name it. The ultimate goal differs depending on whom you ask, but the two biggest strains of thought are that the chemtrails exist to control the weather or make the populace sick.
For most people with a basic level of science education, the idea is absurd, but the conspiracy theorists truly believe that these chemicals are being sprayed to control the weather, make the population sick, or partake in other "geoengineering" activities.
Back to the theorists themselves. Take last week's post on chemtrails, for example. It attracted a good bit of attention in the conspiracy circles, and quite a bit of ire directed towards me. Most of it is innocuous, with the typical name calling and impassioned cries of "you're a shill and you're wrong, we have the real truth!"

"Chemtrails" Don't Exist and Idiots Are Really Easy to Fool

Have you ever run into someone so stupid that you just had to play a prank on them? Welcome to the…Read more

Underneath the vitriol, you can sense that there's something...wrong, for lack of a better way to put it. For the most part these are not the rantings of people who have mental health issues or who are angry or have an agenda, but rather they are scared. They truly, deeply believe that there are people spraying us from above, and they are scared.
When you're scared, you only accept what you want to hear from people. When the nurse tells you that the needle won't hurt, you smile because that's what you want to hear even though you know it's going to hurt anyway. The conspiracy theorists don't want to hear that their fears are irrational. They want a noble soothsayer to tell them that they're not buying into a bunch of manure and that somehow, someway, it's going to be all right because they have the truth.
Education isn't the United States' strong suit right now. Kids are given a passing grade based on their ability to more accurately guess the correct answer on a multiple-choice exam than their classmates. Given the things I've heard even college students say, I am not at all surprised that people fall for anti-science. It's human nature to want to be informational hipsters – we've got to know exclusive information to which nobody else is privy. Look at Jenny McCarthy and her ridiculous anti-vaccine campaign. "Vaccines gave my kid autism!" No it didn't, but your Reign of Stupid is bringing us back to the early 1900s with the resurgence of completely preventable diseases.
The fact that people would risk their child's life because a Hollywood personality told them vaccines are bad is mind-boggling, so it's not too much of a shock that people would fall for the hucksters telling you that Delta Flight 840 direct to Mobile is spraying the skies with toxic, weather-controlling, mind-altering, immune-system-killing chemicals.
While we're on the topic of education, it would serve my point well to address and debunk some of the more popular myths and misconceptions surrounding contrails.
Criss-Cross Applesauce

jxor4lge4mlejn3idujz.png

THEORY: The abundance of high-flying aircraft producing contrails in patterns over major cities proves the existence of chemtrails.
FACT: Major cities have major airports that serve as major navigational checkpoints on flight paths, especially large aviation centers such as New York City or Atlanta or Amsterdam.
Airplanes follow predetermined flight routes that help air traffic controllers guide the planes to their destination safely. When airplanes are flying at high altitude in lines that frequently cross or parallel one another (see eastern North Carolina or St. Louis on the map above), they're going to leave a pattern of contrails in the sky if conditions are right for them to form.

More today than ever before!

THEORY: The sky has more contrails in it today than ever before!
FACT: That's true. As more airlines take flight and more flights take off, there will be more opportunities for contrails to form. There are definitely more flights today than there were in, say, 1972, so the opportunity for aircraft to produce contrails is much higher now than it was a few decades ago.

They're NEW!

fropcgzm2jkyqbkfd1i9.png

THEORY: Contrails didn't exist when I was a kid. This is a new phenomenon!

FACT: Unless you're 100 years old, you were just an unobservant little kid. Contrails were there, just not as many as there are now. It's a simple case of not noticing something until you're suddenly aware of it. Case in point: you didn't think about how much you blink until I wrote this sentence. Now try not to think about it.

They fill the sky!

THEORY: Contrails can take a blue sky and fill it with a thin deck of upper-level cirrus by the evening.
FACT: That can be true in certain circumstances, too. One of the big arguments of chemtrail theorists is that there never used to be "persistent" contrails like there are today. On days with high upper-level humidity, condensation trails can stick around for quite a while, and depending on the winds, they can spread out into a deck of cirrus. That's always been the case. It's nothing new.

Cloud Seeding!

Cloud seeding is a real activity carried out by different groups and governments since the middle of the 20th century. The ultimate goal of cloud seeding is to trigger precipitation, with goals ranging from "just to see if we can do it" to "preventing hurricanes from growing into monsters."
Precipitation forms and falls when water vapor condenses and collects on a nucleus, forming a droplet of water or ice crystal. When the water or ice becomes too heavy to remain suspended in the cloud, it falls as precipitation. The idea behind cloud seeding is to sprinkle nuclei into the cloud to hasten and enhance the process. The main ingredient used in cloud seeding is a powdery substance called silver iodide, and it's used because it has a "very, very close" molecular resemblance to the structure of ice crystals, which makes it highly effective for use as a nucleus to spark precipitation.
As explained in the above linked Scientific American article, cloud seeding has had limited success but scientists haven't been able to get it to work on a large scale or put it to use widely yet.
Chemtrail conspiracy theorists use cloud seeding as irrefutable proof that all of their theories are valid, because "look! they're doing it here, so obviously they're doing it everywhere and with other chemicals, too!" That's a huge logical fallacy, but it's their main fallback and argument, so they stick to it until the bitter end.

They're spraying us on landing!

THEORY: After the post last week, a few of the more diehard chemtrail believers tracked me down on Facebook to let me know exactly what they think of me. One message in particular, sent by a gentleman named Drew Devine, stuck out like a sore thumb:
was the chemtrail article you did satire or real? It's very difficult to know if your having a laugh because its so obvious, or if your serious about pretending they dont...
The message came with a link to a YouTube video called "BUSTED Pilot Forgets To Turn Off CHEMTRAILS while landing."
Here's the video Mr. Devine sent along:
FACT: The phenomenon in the video is called a "wingtip vortex." When an airplane's wing cuts through the air, the wingtips and edges of the flaps leave rapidly rotating tubes of air in their wake. These tubes of rotation are the cause behind the extremely dangerous phenomenon called wake turbulence.
The air pressure inside of these vortices drops, thereby causing the air temperature inside the vortices to drop as well.
When the air is humid, such as on a rainy day (as seen in the video) or when flying through a deck of clouds, the air temperature can easily reach the dew point, and the moisture inside the vortices condenses into the rotating tube of air you see in the video.

No contrails on the ground proves they're chemtrails!

THEORY: If contrails are produced by hot engine exhaust on cold days, and they don't happen on cold days at major airports, it proves that they're really chemtrails.
FACT: Nope. In extremely cold Arctic climates, aircraft are known to produce condensation trails at ground level when they take off or land. It just doesn't get cold enough at the surface in most places on earth for it happen.
Check out this photo taken in Canada's Northwest Territories of a Boeing 737 taking off and leaving a contrail in its wake. There's also a video of an LC-130 taking off at the South Pole (shown above) and leaving a contrail behind it, too.
Aside from providing forecasts and life-threatening warnings, the ultimate goal of people who convey weather information to the public is to increase their audience's understanding of how the weather works and how a rainstorm in Arizona can be interesting to and even affect someone who lives in Virginia. My goal on The Vane is to make the weather interesting to readers while making the science behind phenomena like supercell thunderstorms andwhy Lake Ontario wouldn't freeze over this winter accessible to casual readers who might not care about the weather at all.
When anti-science is allowed to grow and fester in the minds of people who don't have a baseline understanding of science or who are extremely gullible, it has a negative effect on society. As I pointed out above with the anti-vaccination movement, it's not just weather control conspiracies that can do serious harm to people. In my experience, when conspiracy theorists are in for a penny, they go in for a pound. Many chemtrail believers also think thatHAARP helps to control the weather, and that vaccinations cause autism, and that 9/11 was an inside job, and so on.
It's incumbent upon meteorologists and those who actually understand how the weather works to educate people and help combat the misinformation and anti-science when it rears its ugly head. That's why I write about this conspiracy theory so often. It's stuff that needs to be said.
[Images: NASA via AP / AP / FlightAware / MetaBunk.org]

http://thevane.gawker.com/why-i-write-about-and-debunk-the-chemtrail-conspiracy-1581896346

Part 1

https://firstlook.org/theintercept/2014/02/24/jtrig-manipulation/

[h=1]How Covert Agents Infiltrate the Internet to Manipulate, Deceive, and Destroy Reputations[/h] By Glenn Greenwald

One of the many pressing stories that remains to be told from the Snowden archive is how western intelligence agencies are attempting to manipulate and control online discourse with extreme tactics of deception and reputation-destruction. It’s time to tell a chunk of that story, complete with the relevant documents.
Over the last several weeks, I worked with NBC News to publish a series of articles about “dirty trick” tactics used by GCHQ’s previously secret unit, JTRIG (Joint Threat Research Intelligence Group). These were based on four classified GCHQ documents presented to the NSA and the other three partners in the English-speaking “Five Eyes” alliance. Today, we at the Intercept are publishing another new JTRIG document, in full, entitled “The Art of Deception: Training for Online Covert Operations.”
By publishing these stories one by one, our NBC reporting highlighted some of the key, discrete revelations: the monitoring of YouTube and Blogger, the targeting of Anonymous with the very same DDoS attacks they accuse “hacktivists” of using, the use of “honey traps” (luring people into compromising situations using sex) and destructive viruses. But, here, I want to focus and elaborate on the overarching point revealed by all of these documents: namely, that these agencies are attempting to control, infiltrate, manipulate, and warp online discourse, and in doing so, are compromising the integrity of the internet itself.
Among the core self-identified purposes of JTRIG are two tactics: (1) to inject all sorts of false material onto the internet in order to destroy the reputation of its targets; and (2) to use social sciences and other techniques to manipulate online discourse and activism to generate outcomes it considers desirable. To see how extremist these programs are, just consider the tactics they boast of using to achieve those ends: “false flag operations” (posting material to the internet and falsely attributing it to someone else), fake victim blog posts (pretending to be a victim of the individual whose reputation they want to destroy), and posting “negative information” on various forums. Here is one illustrative list of tactics from the latest GCHQ document we’re publishing today:

Other tactics aimed at individuals are listed here, under the revealing title “discredit a target”:

Then there are the tactics used to destroy companies the agency targets:

GCHQ describes the purpose of JTRIG in starkly clear terms: “using online techniques to make something happen in the real or cyber world,” including “information ops (influence or disruption).”

Critically, the “targets” for this deceit and reputation-destruction extend far beyond the customary roster of normal spycraft: hostile nations and their leaders, military agencies, and intelligence services. In fact, the discussion of many of these techniques occurs in the context of using them in lieu of “traditional law enforcement” against people suspected (but not charged or convicted) of ordinary crimes or, more broadly still, “hacktivism”, meaning those who use online protest activity for political ends.
The title page of one of these documents reflects the agency’s own awareness that it is “pushing the boundaries” by using “cyber offensive” techniques against people who have nothing to do with terrorism or national security threats, and indeed, centrally involves law enforcement agents who investigate ordinary crimes:

No matter your views on Anonymous, “hacktivists” or garden-variety criminals, it is not difficult to see how dangerous it is to have secret government agencies being able to target any individuals they want – who have never been charged with, let alone convicted of, any crimes – with these sorts of online, deception-based tactics of reputation destruction and disruption. There is a strong argument to make, as Jay Leiderman demonstrated in the Guardian in the context of the Paypal 14 hacktivist persecution, that the “denial of service” tactics used by hacktivists result in (at most) trivial damage (far less than the cyber-warfare tactics favored by the US and UK) and are far more akin to the type of political protest protected by the First Amendment.
The broader point is that, far beyond hacktivists, these surveillance agencies have vested themselves with the power to deliberately ruin people’s reputations and disrupt their online political activity even though they’ve been charged with no crimes, and even though their actions have no conceivable connection to terrorism or even national security threats. As Anonymous expert Gabriella Coleman of McGill University told me, “targeting Anonymous and hacktivists amounts to targeting citizens for expressing their political beliefs, resulting in the stifling of legitimate dissent.” Pointing to this study she published, Professor Coleman vehemently contested the assertion that “there is anything terrorist/violent in their actions.”
Government plans to monitor and influence internet communications, and covertly infiltrate online communities in order to sow dissension and disseminate false information, have long been the source of speculation. Harvard Law Professor Cass Sunstein, a close Obama adviser and the White House’s former head of the Office of Information and Regulatory Affairs, wrote a controversial paper in 2008 proposing that the US government employ teams of covert agents and pseudo-”independent” advocates to “cognitively infiltrate” online groups and websites, as well as other activist groups.
Sunstein also proposed sending covert agents into “chat rooms, online social networks, or even real-space groups” which spread what he views as false and damaging “conspiracy theories” about the government. Ironically, the very same Sunstein was recently named by Obama to serve as a member of the NSA review panel created by the White House, one that – while disputing key NSA claims – proceeded to propose many cosmetic reforms to the agency’s powers (most of which were ignored by the President who appointed them).
But these GCHQ documents are the first to prove that a major western government is using some of the most controversial techniques to disseminate deception online and harm the reputations of targets. Under the tactics they use, the state is deliberately spreading lies on the internet about whichever individuals it targets, including the use of what GCHQ itself calls “false flag operations” and emails to people’s families and friends. Who would possibly trust a government to exercise these powers at all, let alone do so in secret, with virtually no oversight, and outside of any cognizable legal framework?

Part 2

https://firstlook.org/theintercept/2014/02/24/jtrig-manipulation/

Then there is the use of psychology and other social sciences to not only understand, but shape and control, how online activism and discourse unfolds. Today’s newly published document touts the work of GCHQ’s “Human Science Operations Cell,” devoted to “online human intelligence” and “strategic influence and disruption”:

Under the title “Online Covert Action”, the document details a variety of means to engage in “influence and info ops” as well as “disruption and computer net attack,” while dissecting how human beings can be manipulated using “leaders,” “trust,” “obedience” and “compliance”:

The documents lay out theories of how humans interact with one another, particularly online, and then attempt to identify ways to influence the outcomes – or “game” it:

We submitted numerous questions to GCHQ, including: (1) Does GCHQ in fact engage in “false flag operations” where material is posted to the Internet and falsely attributed to someone else?; (2) Does GCHQ engage in efforts to influence or manipulate political discourse online?; and (3) Does GCHQ’s mandate include targeting common criminals (such as boiler room operators), or only foreign threats?
As usual, they ignored those questions and opted instead to send their vague and nonresponsive boilerplate: “It is a longstanding policy that we do not comment on intelligence matters. Furthermore, all of GCHQ’s work is carried out in accordance with a strict legal and policy framework which ensures that our activities are authorised, necessary and proportionate, and that there is rigorous oversight, including from the Secretary of State, the Interception and Intelligence Services Commissioners and the Parliamentary Intelligence and Security Committee. All our operational processes rigorously support this position.”
These agencies’ refusal to “comment on intelligence matters” – meaning: talk at all about anything and everything they do – is precisely why whistleblowing is so urgent, the journalism that supports it so clearly in the public interest, and the increasingly unhinged attacks by these agencies so easy to understand. Claims that government agencies are infiltrating online communities and engaging in “false flag operations” to discredit targets are often dismissed as conspiracy theories, but these documents leave no doubt they are doing precisely that.
Whatever else is true, no government should be able to engage in these tactics: what justification is there for having government agencies target people – who have been charged with no crime – for reputation-destruction, infiltrate online political communities, and develop techniques for manipulating online discourse? But to allow those actions with no public knowledge or accountability is particularly unjustifiable.
Documents referenced in this article:

I want to highlight one of the points above in Glen Greenwalds article which he wrote form information Snowden leaked; he said the online agents like:

to inject all sorts of false material onto the internet in order to destroy the reputation of its targets

I'd say that pretty much matches what stu is doing

[h=1]The truth is out there[/h] Viren Swami and Rebecca Coles look at belief in conspiracy theories

Given the widespread appeal of conspiracy theories, it is surprising that little empirical research has addressed the reasons why some people are more likely to adhere to such beliefs than others. This article reviews the available literature on the sociological and psychological antecedents of conspiracy theories, and concludes by examining the positive and negative impacts of conspiracy theories. For scholars, studying conspiracy theories may prove useful in better understanding the needs of individuals that conspiracy theories accommodate, while also allowing for a better conceptualisation of the everyday effects of such theories
The truth’, the TV show The X-Files told us, ‘is out there’. Millions of people worldwide seem to agree, disbelieving official accounts of important social and political events. In the United States, for example, scholars have noted a steady increase in the number of poll respondents who believe that Lee Harvey Oswald did not act alone in killing John F. Kennedy (Goertzel, 1994; McHoskey, 1995). In the wake of 9/11, commentators highlighted the proliferation of conspiracy theories about the event (e.g. Goldberg, 2004), with polls suggesting that more than a quarter of respondents believe the US government knew in advance (Zogby International, 2004), participated in, or took no action to stop the attacks (Hargrove & Stempel, 2006).
But conspiracy theories are not a uniquely American phenomenon: in a poll of seven predominantly Muslim countries, Gentzkow and Shapiro (2004) reported that almost four fifths of respondents did not believe the 9/11 attacks were carried out by Arabs, believing instead that it was the work of the US or Israeli governments (for other conspiracy theories in the Middle East, see Zonis & Joseph, 1994). In Britain, the BBC’s documentary series The Conspiracy Files has examined a range of theories in current circulation, including those about the deaths of Princess Diana and UN weapons inspector David Kelly, the bombing of PanAm Flight 103, and the London bombings of 7 July 2005.
Given such widespread belief in conspiracy theories across the globe, it comes as something of a surprise to learn that there remains a dearth of empirical research on the topic (Abalakina-Paap et al., 1999). Part of the problem may be that academics have traditionally not engaged with conspiracy theories for fear of being branded as conspiracy theorists themselves. Until recently, it was not uncommon to find accounts of possible or real conspiracies prefaced by disclaimers of the kind that Ramsay (1990) notes: ‘In intellectually respectable company, it is necessary to preface any reference to… conspiracies with the disclaimer that the speaker “doesn’t believe in the conspiracy theory of history (or politics)”.’

A related problem is in distinguishing between a conspiracy theory and an awareness of genuine political conspiracies. A broad definition of the former was provided in Hofstadter’s (1966) seminal essay, ‘The paranoid style in American politics’, where a conspiracy theory was described as a belief in the existence of a ‘vast, insidious, preternaturally effective international conspiratorial network designed to perpetrate acts of the most fiendish character’ (p.14; for extended discussions, see Bale, 2007; Sunstein & Vermeule, 2009). That such beliefs are relatively widespread suggests that they fulfil certain social functions or psychological needs; given this role, conspiracy theories are deserving of the same academic study as other religious, political or social beliefs (Bale, 2007).
The remainder of this article discusses both early work in sociology and cultural studies on the causes of conspiracy theorising, and emerging psychological research focused on the individual difference antecedents of conspiracy theories. We conclude with reasons why further research on conspiracy theories is important, both in terms of academic research and sociopolitical practice.
Early sociological work
Hofstadter’s (1966) essay on the ‘paranoid style’, in which he examined right-wing conspiracy theories, effectively set the tone of much of the research that was to follow. The paranoid style, Hofstadter (1971, pp.2–3) argued, was a result of ‘uncommonly angry minds’, whose judgement was somehow ‘distorted’. Following this vein, some scholars came to view conspiracy theories as a product of psychopathology, such as extreme paranoia, delusional ideation or narcissism (e.g. Groh, 1987; Plomin & Post, 1997). In this view, the incorrectness of conspiracy theories was usually assumed a priori and, more than this, the delusional aspect of conspiratorial beliefs was thought to result in an incapacity for social or political action (e.g. Hofstadter, 1971).
While it is possible that some people who believe in conspiracy theories suffer forms of psychopathology, this in itself is an incomplete explanation given how widespread conspiracy theories are (Sunstein & Vermeule, 2009; Waters, 1997). Hofstadter, however, has remained influential for his interest in why people acquire conspiracy theories, suggesting that a belief in conspiracy theories was more likely to emerge among those who felt powerless, disadvantaged or voiceless, especially in the face of catastrophe. To use a contemporary example, believing that the 7/7 London bombings were perpetrated by the British or Israeli governments may be, for some individuals at least, a means of making sense of turbulent social or political phenomena.
To the extent that conspiracy theories fill a need for certainty, it is thought they may gain more widespread acceptance in instances when establishment or mainstream explanations contain erroneous information, discrepancies, or ambiguities (Miller, 2002). A conspiracy theory, in this sense, helps explain those ambiguities and ‘provides a convenient alternative to living with uncertainty’ (Zarefsky, 1984, p.72). Or as Young and colleagues (1990, p.104) have put it, ‘[T]he human desire for explanations of all natural phenomena – a drive that spurs inquiry on many levels – aids the conspiracist in the quest for public acceptance.’

In addition, it is also thought that conspiracy theories offer explanations of the world that are not contradicted by information available to adherents. In the context of extremism, Hardin (2002) has discussed what he calls a ‘crippled epistemology’: in some cases, extremism is not an irrational response, but rather stems from the fact that people have very little correct or accurate information. Sunstein and Vermeule (2009) apply a similar perspective to conspiracy theories: those who believe in conspiracy theories may be responding rationally and logically to what little information they receive, even if that information appears absurd in relation to wider, publicly available knowledge.
Other scholars have extended or revised Hofstadter’s original powerlessness conjecture in order to explain how adherents come to hold conspiracy theories. Some have suggested that an inability to attain goals leads to conspiracy theories (Edelman, 1985; Inglehart, 1987), while others view conspiracy theories as affording adherents a means of maintaining self-esteem (e.g. Robins & Post, 1997), coping with persecution (Combs et al., 2002), reasserting individualism (Davis, 1969; Melley, 2000), expressing negative feelings (Ungerleider & Wellisch, 1979) or reaffirming imagined positions of exclusive knowledge (Mason, 2002). These contrasting theories, however, share the distinguishing assumption that conspiracy theories are a rational attempt to understand complex phenomena and deal with feelings of powerlessness. In this sense, such beliefs reveal not psychopathological minds but the lived experience and consciousness of groups of individuals (Sanders & West, 2003).
Psychological accounts
Early psychological studies often sought to highlight characteristics of conspiracy theories themselves, rather than characteristics of the audience. So, for example, conspiracy theories were described as being characterised by poor or unproven evidence, circular reasoning, repetition of unproved premises, and the creation of false predicaments (e.g. Young et al., 1990; Zarefsky, 1984). On the other hand, once the notion that conspiracy theories serve some psychological need became established, a small number of studies began to explicitly examine the socio-cognitive basis of those beliefs.
For example, one early study examined the effects of exposure to Oliver Stone’s 1991 film JFK, in which it is alleged that the assassination of John F. Kennedy was a conspiracy at the highest levels of government. The authors found that the film changed beliefs toward accepting the broad conspiracy theory and ‘significantly aroused anger’, which was explained as a function of helplessness (Butler et al., 1995, p.237). Moreover, viewing the film was found to be associated with a decrease in viewers’ (self-reported) intention to vote or make political contributions, suggesting that the message of the film carried over to general political judgements.
Other research activities have focused on the psychological factors and processes associated with belief in conspiracy theories. For example, some early work suggested that conspiracy theories emerged because of ‘an irrational need to explain big and important events with proportionately big and important causes’ McCauley & Jacques, 1979, p.637; see also Leman, 2007). Clarke (2002), on the other hand, has discussed conspiracy theories in the context of the fundamental attribution bias: because of the general tendency to overestimate the importance of dispositional factors and underestimate situational factors, conspiracy theorists are more likely to blame Hofstadter’s (1966) ‘preternaturally effective international conspiratorial network’ even when adequate situational explanations are available. This may be especially true when people are outraged or distressed and seek to justify their emotional state by claiming intentionality of actions even in the absence of evidence (cf. Festinger, 1957).
Sunstein and Vermeule (2009) have suggested that the emotional content of many conspiracy theories plays an important role in their dissemination and acceptance. They cite studies showing that ‘urban legends’ that are devised to trigger strong emotions are more likely to be spread among populations (e.g. Heath et al., 2001). Applying this to conspiracy theories, they postulate that conspiracy theories create intense emotions that help spread similar beliefs, while also providing a justification for affective states produced by some traumatic event.
Other relevant work has examined the psychological impact of exposure to conspiracy theories, particularly in relation to mass media sources (e.g. Butler et al., 1995), but also in relation to the third-person effect (the tendency for people to believe that persuasive media has a larger influence on others than themselves). In one study, Douglas and Sutton (2008) had participants read material containing conspiracy theories about Princess Diana’s death before rating their own and others’ agreement with the statements, as well as their perceived retrospective attitudes. They found that participants significantly underestimated how much the conspiracy theories influenced their own attitudes.
In an earlier study, McHoskey (1995) predicted that conspiracy theories concerning the assassination of JFK, and possibly all conspiracy theories, would continue endlessly because of the processes of biased assimilation and attitude polarisation. In the first instance, when opposing sides were presented with the same evidence, McHoskey (1995) showed that there was a tendency to uncritically accept evidence that was supportive of one’s own argument, while scrutinising and discrediting contrary evidence. When participants were presented with mixed evidence, there were signs of attitude polarisation, with participants reporting that they were more in favour of their initial viewpoint, rather than reporting a reversal of their beliefs. In a similar vein, Leman and Cinnirella (2007) found that conspiracy believers judged fictitious accounts of an assassination more plausible if it was consistent with their beliefs, a tendency called ‘confirmation bias’. Conspiracy believers found that ambiguous information fitted better with a conspiracist explanation, whereas non-believers believed it suited a non-conspiracist account. In other words, the same piece of information can be used to support very different accounts, depending on who it is presented to.
Individual differences
Perhaps one of the most important conclusions to emerge from the handful of studies to focus explicitly on the individual antecedents of belief in conspiracy theories was Goertzel’s (1994) assertion that conspiracy beliefs form part of a ‘monological belief system’. This allows conspiracy theorists to easily assimilate explanations for new phenomena that would otherwise be difficult to understand or would threaten their existing beliefs. Recent work supports this, showing that those who more strongly endorsed 9/11 conspiracy theories were also more likely to believe in other, seemingly unrelated conspiracy theories (Swami et al., in press).
Related work in this area has provided some support for early sociological work on conspiracy theories. For example, studies have variously reported significant associations between conspiracist ideation and anomie, distrust in authority, political cynicism, powerlessness and self-esteem (Abalakina-Paap et al., 1999; Goertzel, 1994; Swami et al., in press). Interestingly, at least two studies have also reported significant associations between conspiracist beliefs and authoritarianism (Abalakina-Paap et al., 1999; McHoskey, 1995), which the former study explained as a manifestation of the tendency of believers in conspiracy theories to blame outgroups for problems experienced by the ingroup.
Most recently, Swami and colleagues (in press) found that 9/11 conspiracist beliefs were significantly associated with the Big Five personality factor of Openness to Experience, with the authors suggesting that intellectual curiosity, an active imagination, and a proclivity for new ideas results in greater exposure and subsequent assimilation of conspiracist beliefs. Interestingly, Swami et al. (in press) also found that individuals who more strongly believed in conspiracy theories were more supportive of democratic principles. They went on to argue that, for participants who reject the political system as undemocratic, mainstream explanations of social events are unsatisfactory precisely because they are provided by the very sources that these participants doubt.
Good or bad?
What practical impact do conspiracy theories have? Some scholars (e.g. Clarke, 2002) argue that conspiracy theories are ultimately beneficial because they reveal actual anomalies in mainstream explanations and demand greater transparency from governments (see
also Leman, 2007). The fact that some conspiracy theories (such as US Department of Defence plans to stimulate acts of terrorism and blame them on Cuba) have turned out to be true certainly bears out this point. Miller (2002) likewise contends that conspiracy theories provide individuals with a public opportunity, otherwise likely denied to them, of addressing the credibility of governments or other socio-political actors. As Fenster (1999, p.109) writes, conspiracies ‘must be recognised as a cultural practice that attempts to map, in narrative form, the trajectories and effects of power’. In this view, conspiracy theories may be regarded as the beginnings of social movements that could create positive change and foster solidarity (Sasson, 1995).
The same authors, however, are also quick to caution that conspiracy theories remain limited because their critique of power structures is often highly simplistic. In many cases, conspiracy theories succumb to racist or exclusionary narratives, thus losing any positive thrust. Moreover, conspiracy theories typically threaten to unravel and ‘leave unsettled the resolution to the question of power that [they] attempt to address’ (Fenster, 1999, p.109). For Fenster (1999) and Miller (2002), in particular, conspiracy theories have the potential to create constructive socio-political change, but also the ability to sow discord, violence and public mistrust, while diverting attention from political issues of real significance and undermining democratic debate.
Some scholars have also noted the negative practical effects of conspiracy theories on a range of behaviours. Consider, for example, the conspiracy theories held by some that birth control and HIV/AIDS are plots against African Americans (e.g. Bird & Bogart, 2003).
Certainly, the history of segregation in the US, the conducting of unethical research with African Americans (such as the Tuskegee syphilis study), and contemporary experiences of racism help explain the existence of such theories. However, adherence to such conspiracy theories has also been associated with less consistent pregnancy prevention and condom use, possibly impacting upon knowledge about HIV/AIDS and AIDS prevention programmes (e.g. Bogart & Thorburn, 2006).
Conclusion
Documenting the prevalence of conspiracy theories only provides a starting point for tackling their negative effects. Because of their nature, beliefs in conspiracy theories have proven very difficult to repudiate (Keeley, 1999): group members may segregate themselves (informationally, though also, sometimes, physically) and over time become increasingly distrustful of the motives of others. Kramer (1994) called this an example of a ‘sinister attribution error’: because in extreme cases they feel under constant scrutiny, individuals may overestimate personalistic motives among others and see purposeful plots where there are in fact benign actions.
In such a scenario, what should be the response of scholars and other interested parties? Some authors have recently suggested possible practical means of tackling false and harmful conspiracy theories, such as enlisting independent groups to rebut theories or ‘cognitively infiltrate’ conspiracist groups (see Sunstein & Vermeule, 2009). The assumption here is that beliefs in conspiracy theories reflect insufficiently critical assimilation of knowledge and that practical steps can be taken, albeit with difficulty, to counter that crippled epistemology. On another level, however, many contemporary conspiracy theories also reflect a deep cynicism toward, and diminished faith in, governance (Goldberg, 2004). For example, the finding that almost a quarter of British Muslims believe that the four men blamed for the London bombings did not carry out the attacks (Soni, 2007) reflects, in part at least, the alienation of many British Muslims from mainstream politics and governance. A first and important step in tackling potentially harmful conspiracy theories would be to address such causes of popular discontent.
For scholars, there remain several neglected individual difference variables, including just-world beliefs, locus of control, subjective happiness, and possibly even paranormal beliefs. It may also prove useful to distinguish between beliefs that reflect ‘political paranoia’ in the traditional sense, and political realism. In doing so, it will be important for scholars to drop the assumption that all conspiracy theories are equally unbelievable. Only by evaluating and understanding ‘both the context of the explanation and the effects of the explanation’ (Waters, 1997, p.123) will we appreciate to what extent conspiracy theories reflect everyday cognitions.
Viren Swami
is in the Department of Psychology at the University of Westminster
v.swami@wmin.ac.uk

Rebecca Coles
is in the Department of Psychology at the University of Westminster

References
Abalakina-Paap, M., Stephan, W.G. et al. (1999). Beliefs in conspiracies. Political Psychology, 20, 637–647.
Bale, J.M. (2007). Political paranoia v. political realism. Patterns of Prejudice, 41, 45–60.
Bird, S.T. & Bogart, L.M. (2003). Birth control conspiracy beliefs, perceived discrimination, and contraception among African Americans. Journal of Health Psychology, 8, 263–276.
Bogart, L.M. & Thorburn, S.T. (2006). Relationship of African Americans’ sociodemographic characteristics to belief in conspiracies about HIV/AIDS and birth control. Journal of the National Medical Association, 98, 1144–1150.
Butler, L.D., Koopman, C. & Zimbardo, P.G. (1995). The psychological impact of the film JFK. Political Psychology, 16, 237–257.
Clarke, S. (2002). Conspiracy theories and conspiracy theorizing. Philosophy of the Social Sciences, 32, 131–150.
Combs, D.R., Penn, D.L. & Fenigstein, A. (2002). Ethnic differences in subclinical paranoia. Cultural Diversity and Ethnic Minority Psychology, 8, 248–256.
Davis, D.B. (1969). The slave power conspiracy and the paranoid style. Baton Rouge, FL: Louisiana State University Press.
Douglas, K.M. & Sutton, R.M. (2008). The hidden impact of conspiracy theories: Perceived and actual influence of theories surrounding the death of Princess Diana. Journal of Social Psychology, 148, 210–221.
Edelman, M. (1985). The symbolic use of politics (2nd edn). Urbana, IL: University of Illinois Press.
Fenster, M. (1999). Conspiracy theories: Secrecy and power in American culture. Minneapolis, MN: University of Minnesota Press.
Festinger, L. (1957). A theory of cognitive dissonance. Evanston, IL: Row & Peterson.
Gentzkow, M.A. & Shapiro, J.M. (2004). Media, education, and anti-Americanism in the Muslim world. Journal of Economic Perspectives, 18, 117–133.
Goertzel, T. (1994). Belief in conspiracy theories. Political Psychology, 15, 731–742.
Goldberg, R.A. (2004). Who profited from the crime? Intelligence and National Security, 19, 249–261.
Groh, D. (1987). The temptation of conspiracy theory, or: Why do bad things happen to good people? In C. F. Graumann & S. Moscovici (Eds.) Changing conceptions of conspiracy (pp.1–37). New York: Springer-Verlag.
Hardin, R. (2002). The crippled epistemology of extremism. In A. Breton et al. (Eds.) Political extremism and rationality (pp.3–22). Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
Hargrove, T. & Stempel III, G.H. (2006). A third of U.S. public believes 9/11 conspiracy theory. www.shns.com.
Heath, C., Bell, C. & Sternberg, E. (2001). Emotional selection in memes. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 81, 1028–1041.
Hofstadter, R. (1966). The paranoid style in American politics. In R. Hofstader (Ed.) The paranoid style in American politics and other essays (pp.3–40). New York: Knopf.
Hofstadter, R. (1971). The paranoid style in American politics. In D.B. Davis (Ed.) The fear of conspiracy (pp.2–8). Ithaca, NY: Cornell University Press.
Inglehart, R. (1987). Extremist political positions and perceptions of conspiracy. In C.F. Graumann & S. Moscovici (Eds.) Changing conceptions of conspiracy (pp.231–244). New York: Springer-Verlag.
Keeley, B.L. (1999). Of conspiracy theories. Journal of Philosophy, 96, 109–126.
Kramer, R.M. (1994). The sinister attribution error. Motivation and Emotion, 18, 199–230.
Leman, P.J. (2007, July 14). The born conspiracy. New Scientist, pp.35–37.
Leman, P.J. & Cinnirella, M. (2007). A major event has a major cause. Social Psychological Review, 9, 18–28.
Mason, F. (2002). A poor person’s cognitive mapping. In P. Knight (Ed.) Conspiracy nation (pp.40–56). New York: New York University Press.
McCauley, C. & Jacques, S. (1979). The popularity of conspiracy theories of presidential assassination. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 37, 637–644.
McHoskey, J.W. (1995). Case closed? Basic and Applied Social Psychology, 17, 395–409.
Melley, T. (2000). Empire of conspiracy. Ithaca, NY: Cornell University Press.
Miller, S. (2002). Conspiracy theories: Public arguments as coded social critiques. Argumentation and Advocacy, 39, 40–56.
Plomin, R.S. & Post, J.M. (1997). Political paranoia. New Haven, CT: Yale University Press.
Ramsay, R. (1990). Conspiracy, conspiracy theories, and conspiracy research. Lobster, 19, 22–29.
Robins, R.S. & Post, J.M. (1997). Political paranoia. New Haven, CT: Yale University Press.
Sanders, T. & West, H. (2003). Power revealed and concealed in the New World Order. In H.G. West & T. Sanders (Eds.) Transparency and conspiracy (pp.1–37). London: Duke University Press.
Sasson, T. (1995). African American conspiracy theories and the social construction of crime. Sociological Inquiry, 65, 265–285.
Soni, D. (2007, June 4). Survey: ‘Government hasn’t told truth about 7/7’. www.channel4.com.
Sunstein, C.R. & Vermeule, A. (2009). Conspiracy theories: Causes and cures. Journal of Political Philosophy, 17, 202–227.
Swami, V., Chamorro-Premuzic, T. & Furnham, A. (in press). Unanswered questions: A preliminary investigation of personality and individual difference predictors of 9/11 conspiracist beliefs. Applied Cognitive Psychology.
Ungerleider, J.T. & Wellisch, D.K. (1979). Coercive persuasion (brain-washing), religious cults, and deprogramming. American Journal of Psychiatry, 136, 279–282.
Waters, A.M. (1997). Conspiracy theories as ethnosociologies. Journal of Black Studies, 28, 112–125.
Young, M.J., Launer, M.K. & Austin, C.C. (1990). The need for evaluative criteria. Argumentation and Advocacy, 26, 89–107.
Zarefsky, D. (1984). Conspiracy arguments in the Lincoln-Douglas debates. Journal of the American Forensic Association, 21, 63–75.
Zogby International (2004). Half of New Yorkers believe U.S. leaders had foreknowledge of impending 9-11 attacks and ‘consciously failed to act’. http://zogby.com.
https://thepsychologist.bps.org.uk/volume-23/edition-7/truth-out-there

[h=2]Eight Reasons People Believe Conspiracy Theories[/h] Posted on May 30, 2013 by Santi Tafarella
There was a great bit of reportage by Maggie Koerth-Baker on critical thinking (or rather, its failure) in The New York Times recently. The article explored the psychology behind conspiracy theories, honing in on eight key reasons so many people believe in them:

• Some are predisposed to conspiracy belief. “‘The best predictor of belief in a conspiracy theory is belief in other conspiracy theories,’ says Viren Swami, a psychology professor who studies conspiracy belief at the University of Westminster in England. Psychologists say that’s because a conspiracy theory isn’t so much a response to a single event as it is an expression of an overarching worldview.”
  • Cynicism, low self-worth, uncertainty, powerlessness correlate with conspiracy belief. “[Psychologists] have, through surveys and laboratory studies, come up with a set of traits that correlate well with conspiracy belief. In 2010, Swami and a co-author summarized this research in The Psychologist, a scientific journal. They found, perhaps surprisingly, that believers are more likely to be cynical about the world in general and politics in particular. Conspiracy theories also seem to be more compelling to those with low self-worth, especially with regard to their sense of agency in the world at large. Conspiracy theories appear to be a way of reacting to uncertainty and powerlessness. […] Psychologists aren’t sure whether powerlessness causes conspiracy theories or vice versa. Either way, the current scientific thinking suggests these beliefs are nothing more than an extreme form of cynicism, a turning away from politics and traditional media — which only perpetuates the problem.”
  • When shit happens, the amygdala activates. “In […] moments of powerlessness and uncertainty, a part of the brain called the amygdala kicks into action. Paul Whalen, a scientist at Dartmouth College who studies the amygdala, says it doesn’t exactly do anything on its own. Instead, the amygdala jump-starts the rest of the brain into analytical overdrive — prompting repeated reassessments of information in an attempt to create a coherent and understandable narrative, to understand what just happened, what threats still exist and what should be done now.”
  • Being “in the know” is a form of superiority. “‘If you know the truth and others don’t, that’s one way you can reassert feelings of having agency,’ Swami says. It can be comforting to do your own research even if that research is flawed. It feels good to be the wise old goat in a flock of sheep.”
  • Sometimes conspiracies really are at work and this gives people an excuse to seek them out. “Kathryn Olmsted, a historian at the University of California, Davis, says that conspiracy theories wouldn’t exist in a world in which real conspiracies don’t exist. And those conspiracies — Watergate or the Iran-contra Affair — often involve manipulating and circumventing the democratic process.”
  • Confirmation bias. “Confirmation bias — the tendency to pay more attention to evidence that supports what you already believe — is a well-documented and common human failing. People have been writing about it for centuries. In recent years, though, researchers have found that confirmation bias is not easy to overcome. You can’t just drown it in facts.”
  • The backfire effect. “In 2006, the political scientists Brendan Nyhan and Jason Reifler identified a phenomenon called the “backfire effect.” They showed that efforts to debunk inaccurate political information can leave people more convinced that false information is true than they would have been otherwise. Nyhan isn’t sure why this happens, but it appears to be more prevalent when the bad information helps bolster a favored worldview or ideology.”
  • The Internet, by making facts and alternative narratives on any subject just a Google search away, fuel both the backfire effect and tribalism. “Not only does more exposure to these alternative narratives help engender belief in conspiracies, he says, but the Internet’s tendency toward tribalism helps reinforce misguided beliefs.”
Here’s the lesson I would draw from these eight observations in the NYT piece. When I’m engaging in critical thinking on any subject (not just a conspiracy theory), I should ask myself questions like these:

• What role might my own habits of thought, cynicism, low self-worth, uncertainty, or powerlessness be playing in the way that I’m trying to get at the truth of this matter?
  • What role are my emotions playing in my conclusion? Am I obsessing? Why is it important to me that the conclusion land one way as opposed to another?
  • Is there a comfy or straightforward narrative I’m telling myself that I’m not interrogating? What actual evidence do I have for thinking the narrative is true? Might the evidence also support a different narrative? What is that alternative narrative?
  • Is my self esteem being bolstered by the conclusion I’m drawing, and is that distorting my perception?
  • Am I engaging in ad hominem (“adding the man”–the source of an argument–to the evaluation of an argument)? In other words, am I dismissing an argument simply because it’s coming from someone or some movement that I don’t like? Setting the source aside, what is the substance of the argument? Is there evidence for the argument? Is the quality and quantity of that evidence good?
  • On a scale of 1 to 10 (1 being a low amount, 5 medium, 10 high), how much belief should I apportion to the claims, arguments, narratives, and quality and quantity of evidence available to me on this matter?
Such questions are not easy to ask of a subject (especially if we’re heavily invested in a particular conclusion, under time pressures, distracted, or are simply feeling impatient for heuristic shortcuts). But wouldn’t it be nice if we could find ways to consistently wed our beliefs to slow, calm, and methodical critical thinking?
https://santitafarella.wordpress.com/2013/05/30/eight-reasons-people-believe-conspiracy-theories/

lol

so anyone who questions the government has low self esteem and suffers from confirmation bias and ....what else is there....oh this is a good one....an activate amygdala!!!!!!

Ha ha ha!

That's good, i like that one stu. That one was funny

Oh stu, stu, stu.....what are you going to say on the day that they admit that chemtrailing is real?

are you just going to suddenly dissapear off the forum like some of the other people who called me crazy only to find out it was them that was crazy?

Or are you going to man up and acknowledge you were wrong?

It's going to be interesting

[h=1]SWEDISH POLITICIAN CHEMTRAIL INTERVIEW.[/h][video=youtube;RXer7kZeOAw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXer7kZeOAw[/video]

[video=youtube;MCdEF92oSNA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCdEF92oSNA[/video]

[h=1]Paranoid Conspiracy Theorists Will Ruin Your Life[/h] By Johnny Silvercloud on April 1, 2014@johnnysilverclo Share

Tweet

4 comments

terrorist-620x400.jpg

[h=1]Paranoid Conspiracy Theorists.[/h] Vaccinations, fluoride, and birth certificates. Chem-trails, dictators, and big brother. Assassinations. Spree killings. CIA. FBI. Earthquakes. Hurricanes. Global Warming. Nine Eleven, secrets, Masons and Illuminati.
A fellow Onyx Truther recently made an article on the problem of people not vaccinating their children. When I read her informative column I couldn’t help to think about those who enable the level of ignorance she’s combating — People who assume vaccinations are causing some sort of harm: autism, emasculation, who knows. A conspiracy theory is an explanatory proposition that accuses two or more persons, a group, or an organization of having caused or covered up, through secret planning and deliberate action, an illegal or harmful event or situation. A Paranoid Conspiracy Theorist is a person who always sees patterns in random, rogue events, and propagates conspiracy theories to a fault. They even endorse conspiracy theories that contradict each other: The guy who says Bin Laden is alive sitting in Virginia somewhere is the same guy who will says Bin Laden died before Obama’s presidential tenure.
l26Ranc.png

[h=3]Behaviors[/h] A psychological study has found that if the event is more catastrophic then people are more likely to assume a conspiracy. A thorough paranoid conspiracy theorist will always say, “I question everything,” and demand that you do the same. Ironically they do not like being questioned, or actually be made to critically think of their bogus claims. To the normal person, things exist in a question/answer format. A question is made to be answered, it’s only that simple.
“…it is hard to resist the conclusion that this enemy is on many counts the projection of the self; both the ideal and the unacceptable aspects of the self are attributed to him. The enemy may be the cosmopolitan intellectual, but the paranoid will outdo him in the apparatus of scholarship… the Ku Klux Klan imitated Catholicism to the point of donning priestly vestments, developing an elaborate ritual and an equally elaborate hierarchy.” ~ Richard Hofstadter, Historian
It is not a moot point that PCTs tend to become the same monsters they make. In psychology, projection is the act of placing your own traits onto a specific target that you attack. This projection is manifested in the form of attribution of undesirable characteristics of the self to the conspirators. On careful examination, anti-communist cults will seem to admire communists. Anti-gay cults will watch gay porn before killing gay people. White racists males will allow black men to cuckold their white wives. And record it. Or marry a black woman. And record that, too. Israelis and Palestinians will look alike in regards to who lobbed what rockets at who. A PCT will end up being as just as fanatic as the big bad guv’ment they describe. A “free speech” advocate will certainly spend much time killing your free speech when you disagree with them.

[h=3]What is Proof of a Conspiracy? Another Conspiracy.[/h] One thing that you will find with a true PCT is that they will always reference another conspiracy whether it’s related or not. It doesn’t matter if the persons involved with the referenced material are dead. It doesn’t matter if the ideology or reason why the previous action took place is different. In the vaccination conspiracies for example, the Tuskegee Syphilis experiment is a solid, “PCT approved” reason why vaccinations are bad. It doesn’t matter if the scientists are different, the people are different, the ideology is different, medical law is different, the era is different, the needles are different, the vaccinations are different. It doesn’t matter how unrelated the two events are… all they have to be is comparable on some superficial level and that’s enough to swear off vaccinations. Absurd? Yes. And it will ruin our society if left unquestioned.
6C3lLxk.png

Logically inclined people will soon recognize that the PCT doesn’t really want proof for anything; nothing counts as proof in his eyes. What they really want to do is keep the conspiracy alive. This is evident from the fact that the PCT never provides proof himself, but rather offers speculations, and the speculations given are never given the same critical eye as evidence contrary. Ever. They don’t want literal proof of anything. They want to keep the conspiracy alive. They are tied too emotionally to the idea itself to actually engage in logical debate over. One of my personal favorite things to identify PCTs is the debate fallacies they tend to use. The biggest one? Appeal to ignorance and causation ≠ correlation. Others? Appeal to emotion (fear), false dichotomy, false dilemma, composition/division, ad nauseam, ad hominem, and acute confirmation bias.
In addition, the PCT likes to feel “smarter” than those who are less “enlightened”. True PCTs are narcissists. In short, everyone who agrees and subscribes to his linear line of thinking are smart ones while those who question their reasoning are the sheep. Quite the contrary in most cases; arrogance is no joke in a PCT. It’s the number one thing that prevents them from absorbing any information contrary to their own beliefs. There will be times when the PCT compares himself or others to Galileo, Socrates (without ever applying the Socratic Method) or other historical geniuses and philosophers who were doubted by masses. And of course if you are very skeptical of their speculations many will call your contrary evidence propaganda and call you brainwashed. And of course, the first person who claims someone is brainwashed is usually the most brainwashed person in the room.
Also, let’s not confuse a PCT with a person with a legitimate question. But it’s also easy to identify the difference. The fundamental difference between the two is that the objective fellow asks question to conclude, gather answers. The PCT asks questions while not looking for answers… they want to keep the “question”, the “conspiracy”, alive. The person with the legitimate question is looking for a legitimate answer. They want to gather information. They don’t make one-sided assessments. They use the scientific method or the Socratic method. They are objective.
The PCT is a person who pretends to pose a legitimate question, who ignores answers because the question was fake — they already have their answer, and the answer is the question. Sounds weird, right? Because it is. But yes, it’s easy to confuse the two… because the PCT likes to hide behind the guise of the objective answer seeker. A conspiracy theorist can consider all possibilities. A PCT only considers one that supports their belief system.
Overall, the PCT will not for a fraction of a second consider their position is false. If they are a “truth seeker”, for example, this person will not ever imagine that the truth is exactly what’s known.
[h=3]Open minds versus Closed Minds[/h] An Open Mind is a mind that is receptive to new ideas and information. It is often compared to a Closed Mind which will reject ideas without any consideration.
While there is some philosophical validity to the distinction between open and closed, typically this comes up as an accusation. Being told to be “open minded” about something usually means to accept what is said without refuting it. Conversely, being told that you are “closed minded” is generally a code for “I don’t like the fact that you are proving me wrong, so I will pretend that your failure to agree with my claim is a dispositional factor, not a one based on my lack of reason.” This is where this document finds focus.
The scientific method (or the Socratic method) in debate demands open mindedness due to the fact that it requires consistency with available information and evidence, regardless of where it may lead. Sometimes evidence will lead to a conclusion that defies common knowledge, which an otherwise closed mind have have trouble with. Any way you slice it, if a person actually listens to everything you state as validation, and refute it soundly, that person cannot be considered closed minded; had they been, they wouldn’t give your claim due diligence of a sound rebuttal. It takes an open mind to diligently EVALUATE your argument in the first place.
[h=3]Open Minded vs. Willfully Ignorant[/h]
“Suppose you are a chef, cooking meatloaf in a kitchen for 100 diners. You say to yourself, “Well I know if I put rat poison in this meal it’ll kill everyone. But hey, gotta be open minded!” And you go ahead and put rat poison in the meal. Are you being open minded or… just ignoring important information?”
Being willfully ignorant requires that one considers a proposed idea without rejecting it BEFORE sound evaluation is made. Having an open mind DOES NOT mean unconditionally accepting new ideas as soon as it’s presented, without further thought of evaluation. If you consider an idea, and reject it based on facts, evidence or similar criteria, you do not have a closed mind. The concept of a closed mind is based on the fact that one rejects an idea lacking due diligence of investigation and evaluation of data. Downplaying, or flat out ignoring important details isn’t… what being open minded is supposed to be about. It pays to not obfuscate “open mindedness” with “willful ignorance”. Yes, that needed to be said.
“No one can convince me that President Obama is a lawful U.S. citizen by birth…”~ Birther PCT
Usually and quite ironically, people who go around accusing others as close minded are actually more closed minded themselves. A paranoid conspiracy theorist, for example, may say “no one can convince me that President Obama is a lawful U.S. citizen by birth.” This is a clear example of a closed mind; a mind unwilling to accept that, perhaps, everything about a person or event is actually how it’s presented — without lizards, aliens, overly elaborate plans by a omniscient council of vagueness, Illuminati, and so on. This type of person will accuse anyone who rejects their ideas as closed minded.
With the age of the internet, PCTs with all their memes, short YouTube references (yockumentaries), nonsensical controversies (manufactroversies), attacking and disregarding valid sources to support the narcissistic urge to facilitate some level of significance… They will continue to destroy society, as long as people continue to heed their thoughts unabated.
[h=1]Paranoid Conspiracy Theorists always say, “question everything”. Well that includes conspiracies too.[/h]
http://www.onyxtruth.com/2014/04/01/pcts/

Keep goign stu we're upto nearly 500 hits so far in just one day!

This is good coverage for the stuff i'm posting

I particularly hope people watched the professor barret video on 911 where he gives a run down of a bunch of historically confirmed conspiracy theories before then focussing on 911

:)

https://firstlook.org/theintercept/...ning-new-generation-online-covert-operations/

Click on link to read:

[h=1]The Art of Deception: Training for a New Generation of Online Covert Operations[/h]

President Eisenhower warned the US public in his farewell speech about the growing influence of what he called the 'military industrial complex'

Wow...who'd of thought president eisenhower was a 'conspiracy theorist'! lol

[video=youtube;8y06NSBBRtY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8y06NSBBRtY[/video]

[h=1]Top 5 Conspiracy Theories That Are True! | Think Tank[/h]

[video=youtube;gd1MgToetNM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gd1MgToetNM[/video]

Conspiracies are definitely real... when there's so little information, people do tend to get a little carried away... For example, when they see that how they vote has practically no effect on what happens, but everyone in power pretends like it does, there's a huge break in the reality one experiences vs the reality one is told to believe... very incongruous for the psyche. People start flipping out and going crazy. It's best for things not to get to the point where people break and it turns into a free-for-all because nobody believes what anybody else is saying. The conspiracy theories are usually wilder than the truth, because the people are so far removed from the power that's supposed to be, basically, theirs.

I think what i find most amusing about the anti-conspiracy theory brigade is how they come up with all these imaginative insults like saying your're 'crazy', you have less critical thinking abilities than them, you have low self esteem, you have an over active amygdala and so on but really all that matters...ALL THAT MATTERS is whether or not a claim is correct

So for example i said in the past that the government was spying on all of our online activity and phone calls and texts and so on and i got called 'crazy' a 'conspiracy theorist' etc etc etc

But then snowden proved i was right

So they could post as many insults as they want trying to discredit me and attack my reputation and character and so on but at the end of the day i was just a guy telling the truth

No over active amygdala, no low self esteem......just a guy saying what was true

However......what about someone who cravenly serves the government without ever questioning anything.....do they have high self esteem or low self esteem?

Are they able to stand up on their own two feet and speak the truth even when others are criticising them or are they little belly crawling worms?

Last edited:
Conspiracies are definitely real... when there's so little information, people do tend to get a little carried away... For example, when they see that how they vote has practically no effect on what happens, but everyone in power pretends like it does, there's a huge break in the reality one experiences vs the reality one is told to believe... very incongruous for the psyche. People start flipping out and going crazy. It's best for things not to get to the point where people break and it turns into a free-for-all because nobody believes what anybody else is saying. The conspiracy theories are usually wilder than the truth, because the people are so far removed from the power that's supposed to be, basically, theirs.

Then again, things like MKUltra were definitely real, the torture sites, etc, and the current climate of paranoia -- ie people do crazy things to each other when they expect the worst -- would lead one to think that similar things are happening again. It's kind of disturbing that people never called the torture what it was... the people were clearly as distressed, or more, as anyone getting some of the worst physical torture... the defining characteristic is the effect on the psyche and terror induced. It isn't necessarily outward physical disfigurement that is the most harmful to a person, but the physical but less visible, depending on what you're looking for, effects on the brain that can last a lifetime... it's atrocious, especially when it's done intentionally and blithely.

Yeah different people know different amounts about what is going on

many of the people i debate with have little to no knowledge of these issues that they are so quick to try and dismiss

When they do seek information they turn to the VERY SAME people who hid all that stuff from them in the first place and start getting information from sites and sources created by the government and the wider corporatocracy

Look at all that crap stu is posting for example.....that stuff has MONEY behind it; its been created by paid hacks who are paid by the corporatocracy to try and discredit any criticisms of it

We are going to see more and more of that kind of nonsense because they are investing more and more money in what they call 'cyber warfare' but what is really a war over the minds of the public (an information war)

I was debating a guy on vaccines who was pulling his info from government sites as if the government trying to peddle the vaccines is going to give objective info about them!!!!!!!!!