the

Si master race.
Banned
Feb 17, 2009
MBTI
ISTJ
Enneagram
9w1
What is indecent to you? Should you change yourself if someone finds you indecent? Is indecency some worth being made illegal?

What is indecent to you? Should you change yourself if someone finds you indecent? Is indecency some worth being made illegal?

I don't really have a specific idea of what's indecent as I've never put much thought into it. I think it's indecent for a person to use another person as a door mat. I think it's indecent to bite the hand that feeds you. I think it's indecent to subvert that which makes a person human. I also think it's indecent to streak through a crowded stadium. I suppose to me indecency goes more on notions of courtesy, fairness, and respect.
In my opinion, indecency is no more than a perception. That does not in any way make it an objective truth. As such it seems to me that one should consider cases of indecency in light of the intentions behind them. If a person is indecent for an honest reason (culturally unaware or a series of unfortunate events for example) no one should shame them for that. Really that's just a funny joke for later :). However, if a person is indecent because they are intending to cause offence/subvert authority/dominance display then I think those people are morally responsible. As a person to another person, we should all have a respect for each other. If you are being indecent and knowing it then I think you have a responsibility to reach some sort of mutual understanding or solution. It seems to me a kind of courtesy given to any fellow human.
Does this mean to change you for that? well it depends I suppose. Is the change from indecency to not of minor issue for major benefit (discomfort reduced) then I think a person would be better off doing that. If its the reverse then certainly not. Where the line is between those two, I don't know.
Whether or not to make it legal or illegal, I don't know. I don't like policy making :)

Things I deem indecent:

Disrespectful behavior
Purely selfish motivations that harm people in the process
Women who sell their bodies for profit or gain of some sort
People that publicly embarass or humiliates others in public
Bullying
People that play power games via victimhood
teachers/gurus who sell false knowledge for personal gain

Could you phrase that differently?

Dont bother I'm not interested in anything you have to say troll.

yes you are, otherwise you wouldn't have asked for a rephrase. You just have your feelings hurt.

yes you are, otherwise you wouldn't have asked for a rephrase. You just have your feelings hurt.

Nawh, that was your intent though, I just sussed your MO.

Why you want to visit a site full of feelers in the hope of hurting peoples feelings?

Rhetorical question. Forget about it.

Nawh, that was your intent though, I just sussed your MO.

Why you want to visit a site full of feelers in the hope of hurting peoples feelings?

Rhetorical question. Forget about it.

Youre one hundred percent wrong. I can see you are upset and reeling. Don't bother trying to save face, I'm not worried about it. If you want the last word go ahead and have it.

Youre one hundred percent wrong. I can see you are upset and reeling. Don't bother trying to save face, I'm not worried about it. If you want the last word go ahead and have it.

Sure you do. Its easier to believe that than deal with than the reality that you've no impact on anyone offline or, now, online too. Suggesting you're giving me the last word isnt going to change the fact you're about to spend some time crying. All by yourself.

Lark and the are having a communication breakdown of indecent proportions.

Indecency is such a subjective term. People often call someone or something indecent just because they don't like it/them.

It's like a word of judgment. If people judge you for doing something they don't like, they will often call you indecent (not necessarily in your face).