The Neurology of Self-Awareness | INFJ Forum

The Neurology of Self-Awareness

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by NeverAmI, Sep 22, 2010.

Share This Page

More threads by NeverAmI
  1. NeverAmI

NeverAmI Satisclassifaction
    Retired Staff

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFP
    Enneagram:
    5w4
    I find this topic fascinating. I found a great article by one of my favorite neuroscientists, V.S. Ramachandran. I thought I would share with all of you.

The Neurology of Self-Awareness

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    Faye, sassafras and enfp can be shy like this.
  2. Gaze

Gaze My word . . . hmm
    Donor

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    Very interesting concept, which is why neuroscience is great.

Being self conscious is always an interesting process to me, because who you are can be so differently constructed depending on the mirror you use to perceive yourself.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. enfp can be shy

enfp can be shy people vs the bad people?
    Donor

Threads:
    MBTI:
    enfp
    Enneagram:
    -
    I approve of this message. :)

It even begins to look more and more strange that people actually used to believe their sense of self comes from... nowhere. And that it's truly their own.

edit: it's there with "storks bring babies", now.

#3 enfp can be shy, Sep 23, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2010
  4. Gaze

Gaze My word . . . hmm
    Donor

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    I want to rep you for this.

5. aeon

aeon Ooh, a bunny!
    Retired Staff

Threads:
    MBTI:
    ENFP
    Enneagram:
    This has led to me thinking of Julian Jaynes' The Origin of Consciousness in the Breakdown of the Bicameral Mind.

cheers,
    Ian

6. SamE

SamE Community Member

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFP
    Enneagram:
    4w5
    What about altered states of consciousness, dreaming and daydream are some. Where would that fit into the neurology of self awareness of the conscious and subconscious states that facilities experiences?

7. Animekitty

Animekitty Regular Poster

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvhCLXEeSDQ"]YouTube - TEDxConejo - Mark Robert Waldman - 03/27/10[/ame]

8. That Girl

That Girl Do you have my answers?
    Donor

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INTJ
    This reminds me of atheist existentialism. Existence precedes essence and all that. We 'were' before we attempted to 'define' ourselves. If we have come to a place where we are indefinable it is only because we were once nothing. We have miraculously attained the ability to attempt definition and thus we can only be what we conceive ourselves to be.

9. myself

myself Permanent Fixture

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    edge.org

so neat

thanks NAI

10. just me

just me GONE

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    infj
    Enneagram:
    6w5
    Synapses happen here and there, and I offered an idea to help stimulate the Werneckes areas of the brain's "next door neighbors" to try and aid those patients with specific types of speech loss. I was looked at as if I were crazy. I was thinking outside the box(voice box) and know it, but it was important to me at the time for a loved one. I seem to remember the Brochas, too.

I wish I had the time to add to the conversation better. I have read this person's works and know of his writings, though I do not see eye to eye with all his calculations and theories. He thinks outside the box and requires time to do so to try and better understand him. I would almost think he would try to prove wrong the heart of man and his soul through science: the spirit of man; which raises my eyebrow(on the left side of my face). Still some fascinating reading back when I needed it. It could possibly make one guess regarding the spirit of man if one is not careful.

#10 just me, Sep 29, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2010
  11. deadred

deadred Community Member

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    I've always had great interest in this subject. I don't think we should discount the importance of the frontal lobe in consciousness. Unless you are some kind of savant, it would seem that you would need to direct yourself in a way as to develop these abilities, and this kind of motivation would come from the frontal lobe, wouldn't it? I'm betting if you took a very highly conscious individual and put them in a functional MRI scanner, many areas of the brain would light up brightly. I'm thinking this would indicate a high degree of parallel processing is occuring. A highly evolved person would have a high degree of integration between various brain functions and the ability to use both sides of their brain well. I would also think the temporal lobes would be important as far as elucidating and assigning meaning to observations. We're also looking at the higher functioning parts of the cerebral cortex as being involved. The heirarchy of consciousness is a complex thing, don't you think?