The INFJ ambiguity | INFJ Forum

The INFJ ambiguity

SilverWolf

Sep 3, 2012
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
First off, English is my second language. Apologies for any mistakes.

FYI: I'm almost 19 and male - though I suspect that is visible on my profile.

I've felt like I'm different from others my whole life. Not just that I have a different background and upbringing than most others or that I have on paper that I apparently have a high IQ (a term very few people have even heard here in northern Europe), but that there has rarely been any other person alive who has completely understood me.

The ironic thing is, at times, I even have trouble understanding myself - because I have never been able to define my personality. I recently discovered the Myers-Briggs personality system and got INFJ. Afterwards, I remembered a similar test we did in high school a few years back, where I know I scored that combination of letters as well, but at that time I never realised what it meant.

I am an introvert, I can't deny it. The thing that bugs me is how my personality is capable of containing pretty much any conceivable, in lack of a better word, opposites.

While I am definitely an introvert and much prefer staying home and watching a movie to going out and party with my friends, I definitely enjoy the company of other people and I grow restless without social contact. I enjoy the odd phone call or going to see a movie or grab a pizza with old friends, but I loathe the expectations that come with what one usually calls "friendship". Whenever someone suggests a social activity, my first reaction is "how do I get out of this?" whether I suspect it's actually going to be fun or not. For some reason, I prefer staying at home even though it's boring most of the time. I have no problem with not talking to an individual for years, but then meet and pick up right where we left off. I am very careful with the word "friendship". I rarely use it in any context involving myself, because I don't want to force myself on people or compel them to live up to expectations that I wouldn't want on myself.

People tell me I have a warm heart, and it's true, I really care about my family and friends. I even have trouble watching sad movies etc. I abhor horror movies, and feel physically sick and have to leave the room whenever friends watch flicks like "Saw" or other gory stuff. By default, I am very sensitive. However, when I'm angry, upset or just displeased with mankind or one person in particular, I know I can be very cold, objective, threatening and uncanny. I can look right into people and read how they are feeling, while others keep blabbing about, seemingly oblivious to the moods of others.

I am objective and analytical and I want things to be logical, but at the same time, my vivid imagination and ability of abstract reasoning are two of my strongest traits. I don't believe everything can be explained by science, and I dislike people who stubbornly rule out the possibility of a higher power, just as much as I dislike those who rub the Bible or Quran in your face and tell you there is no other way but the way of their god. I am raised a Christian, but I want to keep my mind open for possibilities and ideas. I love philosophy and existential matters.

And as much as I love philosophy, as it gives me a chance to let out some of my inherent depth, I hate shallow people. And there are a lot of them. Please let me rephrase what I said at the beginning of this post: I believe I have never met anyone with the same emotional and intellectual depth, and those few who even come close are close blood relations. I don't want to come across as a showoff, please don't dismiss me as arrogant. I have very nice friends with a number of gifts, but conversing with them always feels relatively shallow. (Not to mention when they talk to each other.) And whenever they think they say something deep, in my eyes, they are hardly scratching the surface.

The opposites go on. I have a very good memory, with music, names and sounds, as well as photographic. When I want to, I can be very observant and remember details about my surrounding such as car plates and 15-20+ digit combinations. However, I can also be totally shut off from the physical realm and lost within my own mind - simply because my mind is often more interesting than the outside world. This caused quite a few problems in primary school Physical Education - I was standing around, thinking about the purpose of the existence of mankind, while my teammates screamed at me for missing the ball. That was the problem - the ball wasn't very interesting.

All in all, I never liked school much for what it was - I was more comfortable in the company of teachers than fellow classmates. Some of the teachers possessed a kind of dry, academic humour and irony which I loved but my classmates never understood. I have always preferred the company of elders over that of people my own age - simply because they're often more mature and share some of my interests.

I have never known for sure what I want to work with (definitely not sports, heh). I am interested and gifted in a number of things from language to science. I have gone through pretty much every job on the list, from business attourney to army officer. No existing profession really speaks to me, though I have a passion for the English language. Going to university in the spring and will try to sort my life out, I guess. I tried Law, as I have a profound and instinctive sense of what's right and wrong and I believe it's important that justice is done, but it was too dull and meager for me. It felt like I might as well have been a textbook. It's very important to me to know that I'm making a difference - and I want to be appreciated for what I know. I hate working in groups ever since school, because others have always relied on my intellect and perseverence to see us through and get a good grade. Neither am I attracted by a leadership position. I am more of an individualist, constantly questioning the systems and rules we have set for ourselves.

I have a wonderful INFJ girlfriend, and she's the one most similar to myself I have ever met. We never fight, and we have similar natures. I read on several sites that people believe an INFJ/INFJ relationship is dull, but she's one of the few I can actually relate to - though personality-wise vastly different from me in multiple aspects.

I'm sorry, this turned out to be quite a long post. Kudos if you read this far. I'm wondering if any other INFJs (or any other MBTI types out there) feel or have ever felt the same way, and I'd love to hear some of your experiences.

Cheers.

Last edited:
Reactions: LunaRebelKatt
well, yes, we all have felt like that in some part of our lives mostly.

Welcome, and by the way being an introvert doesnt mean being shy!

Welcome. English is really my only language, but I have been told I don't use it well.

I have a ton of people around me. Yet all alone. Always at a party or dinner or somewhere. But I can spend days, and I do, alone. I adore my wife. We can be together yet by ourselves. My point is that's the way I like it. She organizes all our obligations, or events, but my first thoughts are always how to get out of them.

I take few hostages. Maybe one or two at a time. And really only one for a while now. Ill talk to anyone. I love NY. So many conversations, but they last a few moments and then its goodbye. Just no room in my head for the commitment. A public forum where most people don't talk to me, and I know no one personally is about all I can handle. Traits of an Introvert. Don't know. Not gonna label anything. Just beginning to understand myself. But I identify with you, and how you explain yourself.

IQ, leaving that alone. Except what I think I've learned is people that identify themselves INFJ apparently are also full of themselves and can come across as arrogant. And of course they have exceptional IQs. So, I think you'll find other INFJs that identify with you.
Not me. My IQ is like 60 or 65. But others sound pretty smart. The self deprecation fools everyone.

You sound like you suffer from the same issue dealing with people. The question about depth and perception and the layers of thoughts go two ways, for me. I either can find and go places others have a hard time getting to, or in my case, more likely, just have a horrible way of articulating thoughts and I make no sense to anyone. Debate is still out on that one for me. But I think from what I have learned, your feelings of frustration are common. Is it INFJ? Don't know. But a lot of people that call themselves that, also express those thoughts.

So welcome.

Reactions: seira0807 and Kgal
Welcome. You sound normal for one of our tribe. You may find this website and this article on INFJs useful; respectively, one is a knowledge bank for typology and one is a functional analysis of the INFJ personality. If you know of Carl Jung's work on personality, vastly different from yet the origin of the MBTI, both may have much insight for you. (By the way, your English is superior to many native speakers.)

Thank you for the replies, and thanks for the links, Radiant Shadow! Lots of interesting reading there.

Are you sure?
That was my first reaction as well. I don't perceive Rferraris as being of below average intelligence at all. Forgive me, it was not my intention to bring up the question of IQ scores. I have just been pondering whether it has been a contributing factor, for me, to feeling different than others my own age. I now know that regardless of logical ability, it is sometimes enough to be just that - different.

(By the way, your English is superior to many native speakers.)
Thank you! I'm going to study English at the university next year.

I can really relate to you. Everything you said reflects me (except the intelligence part, i'm dumb sometimes :D). I had the luck of meeting few people who can comprehend things on a similar emotional and intellectual level as I can, which is very important to me. It's only a handful of people but it's enough for me. Not surprisingly I hate shallow people too :). I find myself almost hating some people I have to deal with everyday, which sometimes scares me and I try to be more positive about them.

My life might seem a bit dull on the outside but it's very vivid inside. I am constantly analyzing everything that surrounds me, so that I can have a better understanding of my live and so that I can make up my opinion about pretty much everything and determine my actions. It might not sound like much, but many people don't do that and they end up having shallow lives without any real understanding of who they are and what they want, which is why I only have real conversations with a handful of people and I don't really see anything wrong with that.

It's good that you have taken the test and you know your type. I guess it will help you with understanding yourself. But just remember that you shouldn't take it too seriously and don't rely on the stereotypes too much, but i guess you already know that :D.

Yeah, because that is REALLY low. I don't think you are.

Anyway, I got sidetracked there a little. I do relate to some things you are saying. From the part about religion through to work, I dig a lot of that.

I do like horror films, though.

:nod: Always nice to see more people around my age on here. Your English is very good. You have a lot in common with I and many others on here.
Welcome to the forums.

[MENTION=5219]Rferraris[/MENTION] I'm a bit scared to ask it but are you on the Autist spectrum?

He probably just omitted a zero and actually meant 600.
My goodness, wouldn't it be stellar if it were only possible lol

Sadly, no.
But I do subscribe to Gardner's theory or there being multi dimensions to intelligence. Reading with a lucid mind and letting your brain do the work alone doesn't measure much IMO.
Just getting answers to questions right by itself is incomplete. Depends on what you're testing, but if you are talking IQs as they relate to personalities, a raw number is missing more than half the picture.

"You have to be brilliant before you can understand brilliance. So stop calling me that."

I think I have tested higher than 65, but my point wasn't to label INFJs as highly functioning.
We already see unicorns, objects and outcomes that aren't there.
What will they help us understand if we already have all the answers.
I just didn't want to spend time with it.

Last edited:
Sadly, no.
But I du scribe to Gardner's theory or there being multi dimensions
To intelligence. Reading with a lucid mind and letting your brain do the work alone doesn't measure much IMO.
Just getting answers to questions right by itself is incomplete. Depends on what you're testing, but if you are talking IQs as they relate to personalities, a raw number is missing more than half the picture.

"You have to be brilliant before you can understand brilliance. Do stop calling me that."

I think I have tested higher than 65, but my point wasn't to label INFJs as highly functioning.
We already see unicorns, objects and outcomes that aren't there.
What will they help us understand if we already have all the answers.
I just didn't want to spend time with it.

What scale are you using? There may b confusion for some people because Forrest Gump got an 80 I believe and that is why his mom had to screw the superintendent.

What scale are you using? There may b confusion for some people because Forrest Gump got an 80 I believe and that is why his mom had to screw the superintendent.

Oh Ãœber, I wasn't saying sensor are stupid. Just you.

Reactions: Kgal
I totally get what you were saying about having a contradicting personality. I feel as if I'm the most practical person when it comes to applying myself in day to day situations, but at the same time I'm the biggest dreamer I know, my mind is always somewhere else, off following my vivid imagination and inclination to live in the future. There are many others, that's just the one that comes to mind. But I think contradicting personality traits comes with having a complex personality, which many categorized as INFJ have. It's our burden and our blessing. Another contradiction, but a true one, as every strength also directly corresponds to a weakness.

I totally recognize what you're saying. I'm in a little crisis myself because I just can't keep track of all the contradictions in my mind. I just can't seem to keep up with my thoughts and feelings and it's annoying. And still trying to figure out how to deal with it myself, so unfortunately I don't have anything clever to say on it :p.

Like you said, I suck at smalltalk. Whenever I go out I always have the most personal conversations with complete strangers in the first 5 minutes I meet them. And I'm afraid that I scare them away most of the time because I'm just not able at having random conversations about nothing. I always see it in their eyes the minute they think 'Oh my, this girl is so dead serious, and boring, GOT to get away'. So, that sucks. I know. But you know, you'll meet people who can deal with it and appreciate it, and people who won't. And both are okey, it'll help you recognize the people who are on the same brainwaves as you are.

I have the exact same thing about friendships. I only admit a few good friends into my life, but still have a hard time with 'maintaining' them. I also have difficulty with having to meet and having to chitchat and all the things people expect you to do. But I figured out a few things. First of all I now know that I shouldn't plan ahead too much, so basically this comes down to making appointments on a very short notice in a quite spontaneous way. That way I know for sure that I'm up for it.

About your professional career and stuff, maybe you should look into Anthropology, or Sociology for that matter. It deals with all kinds of people all over the world, analyses conflict, whether the term 'underdevelopment' should even exist and it entails politics, all forms of culture, writing, economy, religion and the list goes on forever. For me, the subjects really appealed to my justice and ideological interests. I don't know, you can always check it out. :)

First off, English is my second language. Apologies for any mistakes.

FYI: I'm almost 19 and male - though I suspect that is visible on my profile.

I've felt like I'm different from others my whole life. Not just that I have a different background and upbringing than most others or that I have on paper that I apparently have a high IQ (a term very few people have even heard here in northern Europe), but that there has rarely been any other person alive who has completely understood me.

The ironic thing is, at times, I even have trouble understanding myself - because I have never been able to define my personality. I recently discovered the Myers-Briggs personality system and got INFJ. Afterwards, I remembered a similar test we did in high school a few years back, where I know I scored that combination of letters as well, but at that time I never realised what it meant.

I am an introvert, I can't deny it. The thing that bugs me is how my personality is capable of containing pretty much any conceivable, in lack of a better word, opposites.

While I am definitely an introvert and much prefer staying home and watching a movie to going out and party with my friends, I definitely enjoy the company of other people and I grow restless without social contact. I enjoy the odd phone call or going to see a movie or grab a pizza with old friends, but I loathe the expectations that come with what one usually calls "friendship". Whenever someone suggests a social activity, my first reaction is "how do I get out of this?" whether I suspect it's actually going to be fun or not. For some reason, I prefer staying at home even though it's boring most of the time. I have no problem with not talking to an individual for years, but then meet and pick up right where we left off. I am very careful with the word "friendship". I rarely use it in any context involving myself, because I don't want to force myself on people or compel them to live up to expectations that I wouldn't want on myself.

People tell me I have a warm heart, and it's true, I really care about my family and friends. I even have trouble watching sad movies etc. I abhor horror movies, and feel physically sick and have to leave the room whenever friends watch flicks like "Saw" or other gory stuff. By default, I am very sensitive. However, when I'm angry, upset or just displeased with mankind or one person in particular, I know I can be very cold, objective, threatening and uncanny. I can look right into people and read how they are feeling, while others keep blabbing about, seemingly oblivious to the moods of others.

I am objective and analytical and I want things to be logical, but at the same time, my vivid imagination and ability of abstract reasoning are two of my strongest traits. I don't believe everything can be explained by science, and I dislike people who stubbornly rule out the possibility of a higher power, just as much as I dislike those who rub the Bible or Quran in your face and tell you there is no other way but the way of their god. I am raised a Christian, but I want to keep my mind open for possibilities and ideas. I love philosophy and existential matters.

And as much as I love philosophy, as it gives me a chance to let out some of my inherent depth, I hate shallow people. And there are a lot of them. Please let me rephrase what I said at the beginning of this post: I believe I have never met anyone with the same emotional and intellectual depth, and those few who even come close are close blood relations. I don't want to come across as a showoff, please don't dismiss me as arrogant. I have very nice friends with a number of gifts, but conversing with them always feels relatively shallow. (Not to mention when they talk to each other.) And whenever they think they say something deep, in my eyes, they are hardly scratching the surface.

The opposites go on. I have a very good memory, with music, names and sounds, as well as photographic. When I want to, I can be very observant and remember details about my surrounding such as car plates and 15-20+ digit combinations. However, I can also be totally shut off from the physical realm and lost within my own mind - simply because my mind is often more interesting than the outside world. This caused quite a few problems in primary school Physical Education - I was standing around, thinking about the purpose of the existence of mankind, while my teammates screamed at me for missing the ball. That was the problem - the ball wasn't very interesting.

All in all, I never liked school much for what it was - I was more comfortable in the company of teachers than fellow classmates. Some of the teachers possessed a kind of dry, academic humour and irony which I loved but my classmates never understood. I have always preferred the company of elders over that of people my own age - simply because they're often more mature and share some of my interests.

I have never known for sure what I want to work with (definitely not sports, heh). I am interested and gifted in a number of things from language to science. I have gone through pretty much every job on the list, from business attourney to army officer. No existing profession really speaks to me, though I have a passion for the English language. Going to university in the spring and will try to sort my life out, I guess. I tried Law, as I have a profound and instinctive sense of what's right and wrong and I believe it's important that justice is done, but it was too dull and meager for me. It felt like I might as well have been a textbook. It's very important to me to know that I'm making a difference - and I want to be appreciated for what I know. I hate working in groups ever since school, because others have always relied on my intellect and perseverence to see us through and get a good grade. Neither am I attracted by a leadership position. I am more of an individualist, constantly questioning the systems and rules we have set for ourselves.

I have a wonderful INFJ girlfriend, and she's the one most similar to myself I have ever met. We never fight, and we have similar natures. I read on several sites that people believe an INFJ/INFJ relationship is dull, but she's one of the few I can actually relate to - though personality-wise vastly different from me in multiple aspects.

I'm sorry, this turned out to be quite a long post. Kudos if you read this far. I'm wondering if any other INFJs (or any other MBTI types out there) feel or have ever felt the same way, and I'd love to hear some of your experiences.

Cheers.

Omg read key paragraphs out to my INTP bf and. Kept saying things like bingo, totally me etc after nearly every statement...

some of my favorite paradoxes of my own is being a misanthropic humanitarian that I'm chaotically methodical and interchangeably emotionally intellectual and intellectually emotional I'm also intensely subtle that's a good one too