The Good News Thread... | Page 4 | INFJ Forum

The Good News Thread...

The Appliance of Science...

http://www.sciencealert.com/the-sci...-year-old-s-solution-to-antibiotic-resistance

The science world is freaking out over this 25-year-old's answer to antibiotic resistance
Could this be the end of superbugs?

ShuLam_web_1024.jpg

A 25-year-old student has just come up with a way to fight drug-resistant superbugs without antibiotics.
The new approach has so far only been tested in the lab and on mice, but it could offer a potential solution to antibiotic resistance, which is now getting so bad that the United Nations recently declared it a "fundamental threat" to global health.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/artic...t-be-touched-has-connected-with-a-service-dog

Just another shaggy dog story...
An autistic boy who can't be touched has connected with a service dog
_91994475_autistic2.jpg

An autistic boy who can't be touched or hugged by anyone has connected for the first time - with his new service dog.

Five-year-old Kainoa Niehaus travelled to the 4 Paws For Ability centre in Ohio from Japan after two years of waiting for an animal to become available.

His mum Shanna shared a photo of her son resting his head on Tornado.

"See this moment? I've never experienced a moment like this," she wrote underneath the post.

_91996403_autistic.jpg

"This picture captures the face of a mother who saw her child, who she can't hug, wash, dress, snuggle and touch freely lay on his new service dog of his own free will, with a purposeful, unspoken attachment.

As a mother, I have seen countless challenging and painful moments my son has encountered and cried countless more. Yesterday however, I cried for a different reason. It is a feeling that is indescribable
Shanna Niehaus
"This is the face of a mom who has seen her son experience countless failed social interactions on the playground in an attempt to have a friend. Any friend. Any kind of connection.

"She has sat with her son while he has cried at night for months because he has no consistent connections outside of the family no matter how hard he tries and no matter what he works hard on in his Autism therapies.

"It doesn't transfer to the natural occurring world for him. And now she is sitting behind her son silently watching this moment, with the air sucked from her lungs, and no words to say."

NHL goalie's 'hell of a game' for cancer-stricken wife

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-37767691

_92167966_untitled-1.jpg

By all accounts, it was a great game for Ottawa Senators goalie Craig Anderson.He helped his team to 2-0 victory against the Edmonton Oilers on Sunday, shutting out 37 shots on goal. But Anderson had not been expected to play in that National Hockey League (NHL) game in Edmonton at all.

He was supposed to be on personal leave to be with his wife, Nicholle, who was recently diagnosed with cancer, but she was the one who urged him to play. She encouraged Anderson to return to the rink after backup goalie Andrew Hammond was injured, leaving the team without key experience in net.

_92166371_gettyimages-513713434.jpg

"Nicholle wanted Craig to phone me," said Senators general manager Pierre Dorion. "She was the one who said, 'Craig, your teammates need you right now.'"

A day earlier, Dorion announced on Anderson's behalf that his wife had been diagnosed with cancer, but that the goalie was coming back to play in Sunday's game.

The team rallied around the emotional goaltender after the final horn at the end of the game.

"We did everything we could to help him but he played a hell of a game himself," said team captain Erik Karlsson following the game.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-37412117

All hail Canada - 30,000 refugees taken in from Syria whilst my country Britain has taken in less than 5000 as far as I am aware. In fairness the UK is a very large foreign donor so I don't want to be to be all critical. Nice to see though a story like this one work out.

In 2014 Lyse Doucet spent time with a Syrian family living in desperate conditions in Damascus.

While reporting in Canada, she was unexpectedly reunited with the family who arrived as refugees five months ago.

Teenage Daad Sabbagh tells Lyse what's changed.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-37998912

Leonardo DiCaprio visits Edinburgh cafe

Hollywood actor Leonardo DiCaprio has signed autographs outside an Edinburgh restaurant in what is thought to be his first visit to Scotland.
The Oscar winner is in Edinburgh to speak at the Scottish Business Awards at the EICC.

DiCaprio visited Home, a restaurant in Queensferry Street which gives its profits to the homeless.
Hundreds of fans were waiting for his arrival. Many had queued in the rain for hours.

_92485395_leogetty.jpg

TWO SISTERS IN TEXAS ADOPT 6 SIBLINGS TO KEEP THEM TOGETHER
<3

CxvenV8XUAQFvIx.jpg

Tracy and Sherrie Smith have done most everything together. So the 30-something sisters who share a Benbrook house together, and had dreams of becoming moms, decided why not do that together too.

On National Adoption Day November 18th, they did just that – six times.

Their house southwest of Fort Worth is a lot noisier than is used to be. Aaron, 6, is the oldest, Bayla his sister the kindergartener, Emma and Olivia are four-year-old twins, Franco is three and Jake 17-months.

"Mommy, have two mommy,” Franco said during a family meal of pizza, broccoli, and grapes.

“Yes. You do have two mommies,” Tracy Smith answered.

"I'm blessed with a lot of really good siblings but Sherrie is my best friend,” said Tracy. “We do everything together.”

"You just lucked out with me,” joked Sherrie. “OK we both lucked out.”

“OK it was mutual. I’ll take it,” Tracy laughed.

"We're kind of like, if we enjoy hanging out with each other so much, why not just roll with it, you know,” Sherrie said.

They've lived together all their adult lives. Tracy has been there to help Sherrie through a series of health problems, including seizures and a coma at the age of 20. This is where we take a brief detour from our story to talk about Sherrie's love for the movie Titanic.

"I stuck my hands straight in the air and said 'I'll never let go Jack,’” Sherrie joked of her coma awakening moment.

"That was literally the first words out of a coma,” Tracy said.

"So they were like, she's gonna be fine,” laughed Sherrie.

They came from a blended family of their own. Three of their siblings were adopted. So when they grew up they knew they wanted to do the same.

"I knew that I wanted to be a mom,” said Tracy. “And Sherrie was...not sure she wanted to be a mom,” she laughed.

But, together, they agreed to be foster parents to four brother and sisters: Aaron, Bayla, Emma, and Olivia.

"And they said well there's actually six,” Tracy said of the day she found out there were two more younger siblings. "And they said but nobody will take six. Nobody's crazy enough for that."

But they were crazy enough. They both said yes.

"Some days I'm like,” Tracy began to say before they said in unison “What have we done,” they both laughed.

The kids come from a drug-addicted biological mother. Their biological father is in prison. And since Texas alone has approximately 14,000 children in foster care on any given day, Tarrant County agree to let two sisters devoted to becoming joint parents, become two moms to keep six kids and a family together.

"God chose these kids for us,” said Tracy. "There are a lot of kids out there that just need people that will love them.”

And Friday morning at the Tarrant County Family Law Center in downtown Fort Worth, on National Adoption Day, in a courtroom lined with stuffed animals, they made it official. They were among 45 families who adopted a total of 70 children: the Smith sisters agreeing to offer a forever family to the most – the six siblings who now call both Tracy and Sherrie “mom.”

"The moment they came in the door I knew that those were our kids,” said Sherrie.

“They belong to us,” added Tracy.

Now parenthood, even in so-called "normal families", isn't without its pitfalls. They know that already. Vomit will do that to you.

“About six o'clock we looked over at each other in the morning and both of us had a twin on us and covered in puke ourselves and we were like ‘we're parents, we're officially parents,” they both laughed.

And in the event a man does finally enter one of their lives they have a plan for that too. Maybe houses on a cul-de-sac side by side.

"If a man comes along and he's the right one, awesome,” said Tracy. "It's going to take an even more special man to buy into this. Because this is weird,” she joked. “We know it."

What is not weird is that six siblings are still together, with parents who love them and who want to give them a future.

"I can't tell you how many times Sherrie and I will get a hug from one of them and say, you know what, this right here, this is what we did it for,” said Tracy.

And tonight, every night, thousands more children, wait for someone willing to accept the same.

Copyright 2016 WFAA

http://www.wfaa.com/life/six-kids-two-moms-and-a-brand-new-family-1/354397961

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-38153553 - click for the full story.
Korean grandfather's long-distance Instagram story-telling

_92723058_jilee.jpg

How do you tell a story to your grandchildren when you've found yourself alone, oceans apart from your family?

For 75-year-old South Korean grandfather Chan Jae, it meant embracing the new and unfamiliar world of social media.

With his wife and son's help, Chan Jae turned to Instagram, using his account as a storytelling tool to share the pictures he draws by hand for his beloved three grandsons.

His account, Drawings for my Grandchildren, now has more than 40,000 followers enchanted by his imaginative creations.

_92723014_1.jpg

Its success isn't entirely by chance. It was the brainchild of his son Ji Lee, a 45-year-old creative director at Facebook, which owns Instagram.
The family emigrated to Sao Paulo from Seoul in 1981.

But Ji Lee and his wife eventually relocated to New York while his sister and her husband made the decision to return to Korea with their two sons, who were the centre of Chan Jae's world.

"My father was retired and spending time with my nephews, like driving them to school, was a huge part of his day. After they left, he had nothing to do and that scared my mother and me," said Mr Lee. "We were very worried that he would age quickly without having anything to do and would become depressed."
It took him months to convince his "quiet reserved" father who "hated learning new things" that he should draw for his grandchildren, as he had for his children, and post the pictures online to stay in touch.

"He hated the idea and just could not grasp the concept. He didn't understand the purpose of why we wanted to share his art on Instagram but I was determined to teach him," he told BBC News from his home in New York.

"But I sat down with him every day and at dinner one night, we had a conversation about drawing for my son. That was the turning point and eventually he became more receptive to learn."
_92723016_2.jpg

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-38153553 - click for the full story.
Korean grandfather's long-distance Instagram story-telling

_92723058_jilee.jpg

How do you tell a story to your grandchildren when you've found yourself alone, oceans apart from your family?

For 75-year-old South Korean grandfather Chan Jae, it meant embracing the new and unfamiliar world of social media.

With his wife and son's help, Chan Jae turned to Instagram, using his account as a storytelling tool to share the pictures he draws by hand for his beloved three grandsons.

His account, Drawings for my Grandchildren, now has more than 40,000 followers enchanted by his imaginative creations.

_92723014_1.jpg

Its success isn't entirely by chance. It was the brainchild of his son Ji Lee, a 45-year-old creative director at Facebook, which owns Instagram.
The family emigrated to Sao Paulo from Seoul in 1981.

But Ji Lee and his wife eventually relocated to New York while his sister and her husband made the decision to return to Korea with their two sons, who were the centre of Chan Jae's world.

"My father was retired and spending time with my nephews, like driving them to school, was a huge part of his day. After they left, he had nothing to do and that scared my mother and me," said Mr Lee. "We were very worried that he would age quickly without having anything to do and would become depressed."
It took him months to convince his "quiet reserved" father who "hated learning new things" that he should draw for his grandchildren, as he had for his children, and post the pictures online to stay in touch.

"He hated the idea and just could not grasp the concept. He didn't understand the purpose of why we wanted to share his art on Instagram but I was determined to teach him," he told BBC News from his home in New York.

"But I sat down with him every day and at dinner one night, we had a conversation about drawing for my son. That was the turning point and eventually he became more receptive to learn."
_92723016_2.jpg

@James

this is so great. Just look at his happy smile <3

My gosh, I didn't think I had any tears left after reading the entirety of this beautiful thread. Heart-warming, faith restored in humanity tears. ❤

I'd been trying to think of an appropriate description for my tears after watching that video, but I think that does the job. ❤

Torn between sadness and joy.

I'd been trying to think of an appropriate description for my tears after watching that video, but I think that does the job. ❤

Torn between sadness and joy.
Yes, the happiness of seeing her friend before closing her eyes to this world forever. So bittersweet, but such a beautiful gift. I'm still bawling, lol.