The French and Infidelity | INFJ Forum

The French and Infidelity

Aaron Thyne

Regular Poster
Jan 9, 2020
MBTI
INTP
In a book called The Culture Code, the author Clotaire Rapaille explained that the French don't obsess over infidelity like Americans.

According to Rapaille, this obsession America has with cheating and infidelity is not universal. Some cultures don't fuss over it nearly as much as we do. The reason, apparently, is that these other cultures are much much older than Americas. And so they have already figured out how to deal with the natural proclivity to philander and play around.

Personally, I don't take infidelity too seriously. If I'm cheated on, I'll talk about it and them move on. It's really not something I get angry or emotionally riled up about. But what do you guys think?

Last edited:
Personally, I don't take infidelity too seriously. If I'm cheated on, I'll talk about it and them move on. It's really not something I get angry or emotionally riled up about. But what do you guys think?
If I get cheated on I wouldn't be too angry but I'd definitely start using prostitutes because fair is fair, an eye for an eye.

I would be more angry if my wife were to get pregnant and I am forced by the state to involuntarily raise or financially support a child that isn't my biological son or daughter.

Last edited:
Reactions: Reason
Personally, I don't take infidelity too seriously. If I'm cheated on, I'll talk about it and them move on.

Move on from the relationship or from the feeling of betrayal?

Then I think that's fair enough.

As far as I can tell and generalisations allow, the French do not 'obsess' over cheating, this is true, but this doesn't mean they don't consider cheating to be morally reprehensible. They think it is, and that it ruins trust in a relationship. But they don't obsess over it in the sense that they know it's very common for both women and men to cheat. I feel there is definitely more moral outrage when a couple has children.

Am I the only hooker advocate here?

I'm not an 'advocate' per se, but I have no problem with it as long as it's legal in a given country.

If it's not legal I'd focus first on advocating for it to be made legal. Much safer for all parties involved, protects the sex worker more, acknowledges that it is a real job, etc.

I'm not an 'advocate' per se, but I have no problem with it as long as it's legal in a given country.

If it's not legal I'd focus first on advocating for it to be made legal. Much safer for all parties involved, protects the sex worker more, acknowledges that it is a real job, etc.
I see, I see. How many prostitutes have you paid for?

Reactions: Ren
I see, I see. How many prostitutes have you paid for?

None!

But I know people that have and I don't judge them for that.

Reactions: BritNi and Pin
In order for prostitution to work without increasing trafficking, we'd need some way to make the supply match the demand. Sweden thinks they did it by criminalizing the buyers, but I think the best way would be some sort of cultural shift in terms of how we view sex + subsidization.

We could also make legal only those prostitutes (or johns, let's be fair) that were thoroughly vetted as not being trafficked. So those that went through some kind of professional training for their job. Depending on how it was handled, this could affect the cultural view of sex as well.

Reactions: PapillonT and Ren