The Forum's IQ | Page 12 | INFJ Forum

The Forum's IQ

Yes! But it was mostly distraction related and some anxiety. Originally, his school psychologist only diagnosed him as an Aspie, but later he finds out until he was 16 that he also had ADHD by his psychologist. So it was a relieving moment for him realizing that there was another reason for his issues, but he was angry that he got diagnosed so late—which is understandable. His ADHD is what is causing him more problems than being an Aspie, but he is doing much better now managing it.

Another behavioral issue was social awkwardness when he was younger. He still has it from time to time, but nowadays he manages it so much well that he can interact with anyone with ease and nobody would notice he has anything at times.

I would say that a good portion of those with HFA can live a normal and successful life! With good therapy, behavioral techniques and lots of guidance; people with HFA can lead healthy and normal lives! :)

Heh...we got the ADHD (Combined Type) diagnosis about a year before HFA. There's so much overlap between the two in terms of symptoms and behaviors that it's difficult to tell which of his conditions we're dealing with at times.

It's good that your brother got his ADHD diagnosis, even if it was late. When one is struggling with something like that, just knowing what it is seems to go a long way towards coping with it. I had mixed feelings about our HFA diagnosis. My heart was at once broken and relieved. No one wants that diagnosis (especially the dual, double-whammy), but again, knowing what all we're dealing with has led to us getting better, more appropriate therapy and support.

Wow! I'm just amazed at the parallels here between your brother and my son. I'm always so interested to hear from others who have first-hand experience with HFA and ADHD. It also helps me feel less alone (and less like a failure as a parent when I'm being particularly hard on myself).

Thanks for sharing, Jenny. It means a lot. I wish your brother all the best...may his road in life be easier and easier to travel. I'd love to hear more from you about his progress from time to time. :relaxed:
:<3blue:

Heh...we got the ADHD (Combined Type) diagnosis about a year before HFA. There's so much overlap between the two in terms of symptoms and behaviors that it's difficult to tell which of his conditions we're dealing with at times.

It's good that your brother got his ADHD diagnosis, even if it was late. When one is struggling with something like that, just knowing what it is seems to go a long way towards coping with it. I had mixed feelings about our HFA diagnosis. My heart was at once broken and relieved. No one wants that diagnosis (especially the dual, double-whammy), but again, knowing what all we're dealing with has led to us getting better, more appropriate therapy and support.

Wow! I'm just amazed at the parallels here between your brother and my son. I'm always so interested to hear from others who have first-hand experience with HFA and ADHD. It also helps me feel less alone (and less like a failure as a parent when I'm being particularly hard on myself).

Thanks for sharing, Jenny. It means a lot. I wish your brother all the best...may his road in life be easier and easier to travel. I'd love to hear more from you about his progress from time to time. :relaxed:
:<3blue:

Exactly! It’s really difficult to pinpoint the two at times!

And you should never feel like a failure as a parent! Unfortunately this is something that happens beyond our control; but at the end of the day, we will be there to support our loved ones till our dying breath and love them.

To bring some light, Isaac Newton and Albert Einstein were believed to be Aspies! So that’s also another positive thing to keep in mind. :)

And thank you so much! I will definitely mention his progress every now and then! :) <3