Madame Cat strikes again
Jan 29, 2010
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
5w4
Last edited:
I can't view it :/

I'm not sure what's wrong. It could be that your flash player is older version, I'll try to dig out the page where I saw this video first, but I'm not sure if you'll be able to see it even then. :/

I think that they have some technical problems because neither of videos posted on that site couldn't be opened at the moment. :( I'll try again later, hope they'll resolve the issue because this particular video is very informative and I think it's worth watching it.

ahh ok, I shall.Just reading the comments, I can tell this is a good video

ahh ok, I shall.Just reading the comments, I can tell this is a good video
Some companies hire people to make good reviews of their products. This video is fake and doesn't even exist.
The thread starter should be banned forever for spam.
:(

Some companies hire people to make good reviews of their products. This video is fake and doesn't even exist.
The thread starter should be banned forever for spam.
:(

If you google the name of that video you'll see that enormous number of people posted it under their blogs, and I watched it myself before posting a link here, so I must be delusional as well as spammer. I'll be sure to tell those who pay me to spam around and make good comments about non existing videos that you've seen through my cover as a member who managed to make more than a 1000 posts before someone realised that I'm a spammer and should be banned. :D

I got the distinct impression that was probably sarcasm. Maybe I'm wrong.. -_-

I have tried finding it and cannot find it. It looks like all the links were back to that one, which is inactive. It is not a flash player problem.

The vid is working again!

To bagelriffic, thanks for finding transcripts.

Meh.

I'm all for people developing their own identities and not being ashamed of who they are - especially when it involves females accepting a realistic standard of beauty. But there are some premises being put forth in this video that I don't agree with. In particular:

1) Around 1:50, Jessica says "when they see a fat body, it's very challenging to their politics. Their moral code is challenged by a fat body, especially a confident fat body." I can't speak for everyone but I am confident in speaking for most when I say this kind of reaction is rare. I think for most (but not all) of us, we fall somewhere on the spectrum between indifferent and just plain unattracted. But my world view (which is what I assume she means by 'politics') isn't challenged by an overweight woman and my moral code certainly isn't. Moreover, her level of confidence is inconsequential other than the fact I would respect her the same way I would respect any person who is confident. I think this is a classic case of someone wanting to ascribe faults to others rather than accept that who they are doesn't fall within the social paradigm that most people hold.

2) Around 12:10 Neena (I think that was her name) is lamenting the lack of clothing choices for plus sized girls. She doesn't say it directly but the implication seems to be that it's intentional and that there's a deliberate intent to shame by way of designing plus sized clothing that look matronly instead of sexy. This is ridiculous. The reason there aren't that many choices is because the market is small which is the same reason there aren't many clothing choices for people who have dwarfism or polymelia.

3) The hypocrisy of promoting the aesthetics of obese bodies over good health and then claiming they are "helping fat women". No, you aren't. You are actually damaging them by promoting the idea that being this way is okay. Lowered life expectancy, cancer, heart disease, diabetes and high blood pressure are just a few of the problems that come with having a body type like this. And let's be clear on something. We aren't talking about girls with large frames or girls with extra fat on them. That is one thing. We're talking about girls that are obese or at least significantly overweight which these two women are. I champion their message of self acceptance and not torturing oneself to fit in the status quo but not if it's going to come at the expense of physical health. What does that accomplish? Good self esteem while you're on kidney dialysis or wrestling with diabetes? If they want to help women, get them to lose weight so they are healthy and then teach them to love who they are.

Reactions: Blind Bandit
np im glad i got a chance to watch it.

to me i see this matter as a metaphor for anyone who pushes against any current cultural views. i think the people who lash out obviously suffer from poor self image themselves and these women who stand for life outside of societies cultural conformity bring their own inadequacies to awareness (in other words; according to society i look better than her, why does she get to be confident/accepting of herself). do i think these two women have completely liberated themselves from societal influence? no, but in many ways i think they represent there is in fact life beyond cultural conformity and bring light to the fact that happiness requires more than just fitting in. otherwise, why would the socially acceptable feel inadequate around those who are different?

i think the pain these women (or any modern pioneers) endure to inspire those less accepting of themselves is admirable. even if they never completely experience their dreams of image neutrality, they are the ones who lay the foundation of awareness that may one day make it it possible.

I think this is a good video for anyone that is naturally big.
However people who become obese just by poor lifestyle
choices, no. This is not relevant. If anything it puts a false
ideal in the heads of the viewer. In many ways this could
be as detrimental as extreme "thinspo". As humans we should
neither advocate being extremely overweight or incredibly
underweight. You should maintain a healthy weight. You
should eat a healthy diet and care about how you feel, not
about how you look. The number on the scale should
not matter, what should matter are your health results
after you consult your doctor.

Last edited:
Meh.

I'm all for people developing their own identities and not being ashamed of who they are - especially when it involves females accepting a realistic standard of beauty. But there are some premises being put forth in this video that I don't agree with. In particular:

1) Around 1:50, Jessica says "when they see a fat body, it's very challenging to their politics. Their moral code is challenged by a fat body, especially a confident fat body." I can't speak for everyone but I am confident in speaking for most when I say this kind of reaction is rare. I think for most (but not all) of us, we fall somewhere on the spectrum between indifferent and just plain unattracted. But my world view (which is what I assume she means by 'politics') isn't challenged by an overweight woman and my moral code certainly isn't. Moreover, her level of confidence is inconsequential other than the fact I would respect her the same way I would respect any person who is confident. I think this is a classic case of someone wanting to ascribe faults to others rather than accept that who they are doesn't fall within the social paradigm that most people hold.

2) Around 12:10 Neena (I think that was her name) is lamenting the lack of clothing choices for plus sized girls. She doesn't say it directly but the implication seems to be that it's intentional and that there's a deliberate intent to shame by way of designing plus sized clothing that look matronly instead of sexy. This is ridiculous. The reason there aren't that many choices is because the market is small which is the same reason there aren't many clothing choices for people who have dwarfism or polymelia.

3) The hypocrisy of promoting the aesthetics of obese bodies over good health and then claiming they are "helping fat women". No, you aren't. You are actually damaging them by promoting the idea that being this way is okay. Lowered life expectancy, cancer, heart disease, diabetes and high blood pressure are just a few of the problems that come with having a body type like this. And let's be clear on something. We aren't talking about girls with large frames or girls with extra fat on them. That is one thing. We're talking about girls that are obese or at least significantly overweight which these two women are. I champion their message of self acceptance and not torturing oneself to fit in the status quo but not if it's going to come at the expense of physical health. What does that accomplish? Good self esteem while you're on kidney dialysis or wrestling with diabetes? If they want to help women, get them to lose weight so they are healthy and then teach them to love who they are.

I think it's absurd to say that market for overweight people clothing is small, when you have prevalence of obesity in most US countries around 25 to 30 %, while dwarfism prevalence is about 200 000 people in the whole US.

http://www.cdc.gov/obesity/data/trends.html
http://www.wrongdiagnosis.com/d/dwarfism/prevalence.html

I think it's absurd to say that market for overweight people clothing is small, when you have prevalence of obesity in most US countries around 25 to 30 %, while dwarfism prevalence is about 200 000 people in the whole US.

http://www.cdc.gov/obesity/data/trends.html
http://www.wrongdiagnosis.com/d/dwarfism/prevalence.html

Well, let's run with that for a minute. Assuming that the market really isn't small, then what is your explanation for the lament these women are making with regards to the difficulty in finding plus sized clothing? Do you agree that there's a just a big conspiracy against fat women whereby companies are willing to forgo profits just to shame them for being overweight?

I think this is a good video for anyone that is naturally big.
However people who become obese just by poor lifestyle
choices, no. This is not relevant. If anything it puts a false
ideal in the heads of the viewer. In many ways this could
be as detrimental as extreme "thinspo". As humans we should
neither advocate being extremely overweight or incredibly
underweight. You should maintain a healthy weight. You
should eat a healthy diet and care about how you feel, not
about how you look. The number on the scale should
not matter, what should matter are your health results
after you consult your doctor.
I totally agree with this.

Well, let's run with that for a minute. Assuming that the market really isn't small, then what is your explanation for the lament these women are making with regards to the difficulty in finding plus sized clothing? Do you agree that there's a just a big conspiracy against fat women whereby companies are willing to forgo profits just to shame them for being overweight?

No, I don't think it's a conspiracy, but it is a fact that plus sized women have a much harder time finding clothes that suit them, and people saying "Ah, just shut your mouth, stop eating and soon you could fit into normal sized clothes" is insulting. I have a friend who is oversized and she has to order things online, because she can't find things in regular stores. Now, when you order cloths online, you have an opportunity to try them on only when they arrive, which means that you could not be satisfied with what you get and have to return it, and so on. The whole process is tiresom to no end, and a lot more expensive than for those of let's say normal size.

The whole idea behind this documentary was not lamenting, but getting attention to some of the issues overweight people have to face everyday. The documentary was not made to promote being overweight as healthy lifestyle choice. A lot of the girls who embedded this vid in their blogs are members of several communities that promote positive attitude and healthy lifestyle choices, and some of them are overweight because of medical issues, some of them are just overweight by choice. Those are the people who everyday have to face with this kind of stupidity http://www.marieclaire.com/sex-love/dating-blog/overweight-couples-on-television
so some of them decided to make a documentary about the way they feel and the problems they face in modern society. I'll go through the vid again, but I didn't really get a sense that any of them had that "conspiracy theory" attitude.

MIGHT WANT TO MENTION IT IS NSFW!!

Reactions: Siamese cat