The False Apperance of I/E, and P/J | Page 3 | INFJ Forum

The False Apperance of I/E, and P/J

A lot of the extroverts that I know are actually more reactive than they are proactive. In other words, they tend to do things and act based on the actions of others. Not all the time. But a good amount of the time. As for introverts, I don't think the majority of them act based on what others do. I think they usually decide on their actions without necessarily having to react to others.

One can look at this in different ways

Introverts are definitely more independent. They will do things on their own, but I don't think people consider solitary activities as being proactive.

An introvert choosing to go to a movie for example, or read a book, would not be considered proactive by most people, yet in your definition it would (which is perfectly fine).

This argument is going to be very semantical (not sure if that's a word) It also really has nothing to do with the original posters topic nor does it express my views on Introverts vs Extroverts.

I see most people as defining proactive as engaging in an outer activity with others. I once saw Extroverts being defined as more likely to initiate, this was what I was going off of, this is what people consider proactive.

To be honest, I think reactive is better. Reactive people usually rise to higher levels. Maybe proactive people get there more, but a reactive person tends to be more successful in my opinion.

It is a huge advantage in life, especially the competitive world we live in, to see what others are doing first before acting. You get more information to base your decision on and thus it tends to be a better decision.

Take a proactive person vs a reactive person and the reactive person has the advantage I say.

Anyway the whole reason I said that was to say that what he defined J and P as I didn't see it that way. I think J and P are proactive/reactive on different levels.

One can look at this in different ways

Introverts are definitely more independent. They will do things on their own, but I don't think people consider solitary activities as being proactive.

An introvert choosing to go to a movie for example, or read a book, would not be considered proactive by most people, yet in your definition it would (which is perfectly fine).

This argument is going to be very semantical (not sure if that's a word) It also really has nothing to do with the original posters topic nor does it express my views on Introverts vs Extroverts.

I see most people as defining proactive as engaging in an outer activity with others. I once saw Extroverts being defined as more likely to initiate, this was what I was going off of, this is what people consider proactive.

To be honest, I think reactive is better. Reactive people usually rise to higher levels. Maybe proactive people get there more, but a reactive person tends to be more successful in my opinion.

It is a huge advantage in life, especially the competitive world we live in, to see what others are doing first before acting. You get more information to base your decision on and thus it tends to be a better decision.

Take a proactive person vs a reactive person and the reactive person has the advantage I say.

Anyway the whole reason I said that was to say that what he defined J and P as I didn't see it that way. I think J and P are proactive/reactive on different levels.

Maybe this is all about the semantics. I got the dictionary definition for each:

Proactive-
1 [1pro-] : relating to, caused by, or being interference between previous learning and the recall or performance of later learning <proactive inhibition of memory>
2 [2pro- + reactive] : acting in anticipation of future problems, needs, or changes

Reactive-
1 : of, relating to, or marked by reaction or reactance
2 a : readily responsive to a stimulus b : occurring as a result of stress or emotional upset

Excuse me if I'm being hard-headed but I don't see introverts being more or less proactive than extroverts. The same goes for being reactive. I don't think either is better. And I don't see why one cannot be both reactive and proactive simultaneously. It's not like they're necessarily opposites.

Maybe this is all about the semantics. I got the dictionary definition for each:

Proactive-
1 [1pro-] : relating to, caused by, or being interference between previous learning and the recall or performance of later learning <proactive inhibition of memory>
2 [2pro- + reactive] : acting in anticipation of future problems, needs, or changes

Reactive-
1 : of, relating to, or marked by reaction or reactance
2 a : readily responsive to a stimulus b : occurring as a result of stress or emotional upset

Excuse me if I'm being hard-headed but I don't see introverts being more or less proactive than extroverts. The same goes for being reactive. I don't think either is better. And I don't see why one cannot be both reactive and proactive simultaneously. It's not like they're necessarily opposites.

Yeah that's probably true, we can be both at the same time. This is why this word is so bias, we don't even use the terms correctly.

Everyone should be proactive and reactive depending on the situation. It's like poker, sometimes you gotta bet and sometimes you gotta see what your opponent is going to do first. It depends on the situation, balance is key.

Yeah that's probably true, we can be both at the same time. This is why this word is so bias, we don't even use the terms correctly.

Everyone should be proactive and reactive depending on the situation. It's like poker, sometimes you gotta bet and sometimes you gotta see what your opponent is going to do first. It depends on the situation, balance is key.

Agreed.