The Fall of Ur : A Modern Story | INFJ Forum

The Fall of Ur : A Modern Story

Chessie

Community Member
Apr 5, 2010
MBTI
INfJ
In the last days of Ur, the kings and queens of the collapsing city state began sink into a bloody minded nostalgia. They sought backwards into antiquarian histories for methods of dealing with the changing world around them and stagnated when those methods would not allow progress. Their traditions failed them because they were traditional. Contrarian voices were hushed by the will of the powerful praying for salvation in the past.

As we sit in our Golden Age, our children looking to advances we cannot even fathom, we must take a moment and contemplate the failings of leadership in ancient Ur. They knew nothing of microbiology or quantum physics or architecture. The great Ziggurat of Ur had to be rebuilt because it ground itself to dust in a matter of centuries. A poor foundation built largely on sand.

Still, they maintained their histories.

Today we face untold potential for creation. We are not gods but we will stand amongst them if our path continues unmolested. We kill fewer of our own now than at any point in history. Fewer of us die and more survive birth than ever before. History will not repeat unless our unwillingness to seek into the disquieting possibilities of far flung eons ahead sends us scuttling back beneath the rock of tradition and the shelter of culture indoctrinated ignorance.

Aware as we may be, driving down the street, of the children crouched in doorways in the richest of our cities we do not seek to heal the collective of mankind. We give pittances in charity and ask not the causes. When the causes are forced into our faces by our own misery it isn't until the last moment when violence is the only option that we thrust ourselves out and declare in assertive voices that we won't stand for it anymore.

In this century it is entirely possible that for the first time we may begin to live to see the consequences of our actions, not only for our children, but for our progeny many generations removed. Imagine that! To breathe the air of an undiscovered country on a star we'll spot an eon from now. Your chest could pump with it, intoxicating you with scents no beast of Terra ever conceived.

I warn you now. You just may.

What then will the intervening period have contained? How many regrets can a mind contain before it bursts? Do you build your lungs of iron after you've hacked down the last tree and poured poison into the last river to save the bottom line of a corporation? Will it be humanity that sees those stars with all it's myriad impulses, fears, wonderments and incongruities?

It could be. I don't claim to know if our paths are the right ones. Mistakes made are locked in a place we cannot change them. The past is a scrawl of tracks in the dirt. It is lipstick on the mirror. What is done should be remembered and amended but if we seek backwards for our redemption we will find ourselves burnt in the fires that consumed our progenitors.

Ten thousand years from this date another fool may write this psalm again. She may rail and raggedly shriek that 'This doesn't have to happen this way! We know they did it this way before. Let us go another direction!'

Mayhap her voice to the contrary will be heard then.

Last edited:
I enjoyed reading your post.
Knowing what to hold on to and let go is something we should learn. History is often repeated.. until we learn our lessons. We may be knowingly or unknowingly ignoring to face the truth, because it may seem inconvenient. The more we get numb to the realities, the more we sink deeper into the abyss. It seems that we have forgotten to trust ourselves, we lose faith, and thereby pass this to our fellowmen.
We, ourselves, need to be living testaments and show the rest of the world that we can do it. Although not many people see this as something urgent, we should not let what we already know be put to waste. We have work ahead of us. Let's keep on banging and maybe, just maybe, the world will wake up... hopefully!

I enjoyed reading your post.
Knowing what to hold on to and let go is something we should learn. History is often repeated.. until we learn our lessons. We may be knowingly or unknowingly ignoring to face the truth, because it may seem inconvenient. The more we get numb to the realities, the more we sink deeper into the abyss. It seems that we have forgotten to trust ourselves, we lose faith, and thereby pass this to our fellowmen.
We, ourselves, need to be living testaments and show the rest of the world that we can do it. Although not many people see this as something urgent, we should not let what we already know be put to waste. We have work ahead of us. Let's keep on banging and maybe, just maybe, the world will wake up... hopefully!

I liked the part about being living testaments. I'm currently working on an article regarding freedom that I would love input on later on.

A big part of what this piece was about was that people only need to be afraid of the future if they make a future they must be afraid of. We often underestimate our control of the world around us.

This reminds of Invisible Cities by Italo Calvino. Have you read it?