The End of Youtube

muir

Banned
Oct 14, 2009
MBTI
INFJ
The following message is from Avaaz, please get involved:

Dear friends,

Right now, the US Congress is debating a law that would give them the power to censor the world's Internet -- creating a blacklist that could target YouTube, WikiLeaks and even groups like Avaaz!

Under the new law, the US could force Internet providers to block any website on suspicion of violating copyright or trademark legislation, or even failing to sufficiently police their users' activities. And, because so much of the Internet's hosts and hardware are located in the US, their blacklist would clamp down on the free web for all of us.

The vote could happen any day now, but we can help stop this -- champions in Congress want to preserve free speech and tell us that an international outcry would strengthen their hand. Let

I've been signing petitions on this for some time. If this happens I guarantee the younger generations will go crazy. I know I will..., I seriously think its time for a revolution its clear the country is going to far off course.

This kind of legislation will cause a revolution in our internet addicted younger generations.

Reactions: grt$5vb
the us does not own the internet and i'm so sick of them dictating to the rest of the world. gawd

Reactions: muir
the us does not own the internet and i'm so sick of them dictating to the rest of the world. gawd

We don't. But we have a majority of the DNS root servers owners are within the USA.

never mind I can't get it to format correctly. check out the link to wiki below.

From wiki

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Root_name_server

Even thought the DNS system is for the most part anycast now and is very resilient if you took out most or some of the DNS servers in the USA there would be effects elsewhere.

Also much of the Internet's content is in the USA. And those content providers can be held hostage if something like this passes.

Also most of the biggest networks (tier 1) are located in the USA. Or other networks use these networks to peer and connect with other networks.

From wiki

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tier_1_network

These networks are believed to be tier 1 networks, in that they do not have overt settlements with any other network.

Out of these tier-1 networks, some are located in the United States and others are not. Global Crossing is headquartered in Bermuda, Telecom Italia in Italy. On Monday April 11, 2011, it was announced that Level 3 Communications intended to acquire Global Crossing.
A 2008 report shows Internet traffic relying less on U.S. networks than previously.[SUP][5][/SUP]
The following networks were tier 1 networks and may still be, but there is some question in the community as to whether they are now paying settlements to one or more of their peers[SUP][citation needed][/SUP]:
AOL Transit Data Network (ATDN)1668ATDN Peering Policy

[edit] Other major networks

The following networks are transit-free networks, even though they have settlement based or paid peering[SUP][citation needed][/SUP] with one or more other networks:

Due to the marketing considerations mentioned above, many people mistakenly believe that other networks are tier 1 when they are not. Because of this, many online resources and forums incorrectly list several non-qualifying networks as tier 1. Below is a list of some of these tier 2 networks which are often listed as tier 1, along with their upstream providers:[SUP][citation needed][/SUP]

Granted many of these networks are using US networks to get to the US but there is also the need for people to connect through other countries by passing through the US. keep in mind optical fiber that is used for internet connectivity between large networks just doesn't go in a strait line. And that's not even getting into the complex way the internet is routed.

So we may not own the internet but we could do a lot of damage. I hope everyone signs this thing. Because all hell will break loose if this happens.

Little by little rights are taken away and we will begin to thank them for it.
We already do thank the state for taking our rights away to "protect" us.

Reactions: JGirl
Hmm. I don't see the correlation between freedom of speech and copyright or trademark legislation. If that's all that they are going to censor, then this would be a good thing. If they use their censoring capabilities for things this vote doesn't bring to our attention, then it would be a bad thing.

If we assumed that they'd never stray from their agreement, would you still fight against this vote, and why?

Edit: I also don't understand why they'd ban youtube. Youtube already removes copyrighted material.

Last edited:
Hmm. I don't see the correlation between freedom of speech and copyright or trademark legislation. If that's all that they are going to censor, then this would be a good thing. If they use their censoring capabilities for things this vote doesn't bring to our attention, then it would be a bad thing.

If we assumed that they'd never stray from their agreement, would you still fight against this vote, and why?

No it is not good. It would make using any copyrighted material a felony! And you can bet any site that hosts user generated content would be not just censored. But removed from the DNS root servers. That site would in effect not be viewable to you. Do we really want something like the great internet wall of China. Which would give our government the ability to disable a site they don't like? For big buiness to push out competition because it hurts there profit?

Copyright and fair use need an update and censorship and taking things away is not the answer if anything fair use needs to be extended.

Hell no!

Reactions: muir
But what specific law is this petition referring to? I could not tell -- maybe I am missing something. It just refers to "a law". Is it this one: H.R.3261 - Stop Online Piracy Act?

http://www.opencongress.org/bill/112-h3261/text

(You can read the actual text of the bill but it will be very tedious.)

There is also a link that shows existing legislation involving freedom of speech and internet censorship here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_censorship_in_the_United_States Is the law you are referring to on this page somewhere?

* Wait, never mind, I found it. It is Internet Blacklist Bill -- S.968. Full text here: http://www.opencongress.org/bill/112-s968/show Reading bill now.

Last edited:
I live in America and I openly hate our government. They try to control everything.
my sympathies go out to you and all other americans for having to live under such a government.
i am so conflicted because i love the united states and i love the people, but i fear and loathe the power-mongering government.
i'm not alone.

Reactions: Blind Bandit
This is just one more example of why the Supreme Court of the US acted so stupidly in declaring that corporations are "people" who have the right to bribe Congress (e.g., campaign donations = "free speech"). The specious argument goes: Only people can be sued, corporations can be sued, therefore, corporations are people. Obviously, the first proposition is false. So, now we have a stupid Supreme Court making ridiculous pronouncements about the rights of corporate pseudo-people to corrupt the political system. Corporations control both sides of the aisle. The rights of real people be damned!

Question. It says right here:
http://www.opencongress.org/bill/112-s968/money

That labor unions support and have donated money to this bill. Specifically, we are talking about S.968 - PROTECT IP Act of 2011, no?

Why the heck would labor unions support this? No, seriously. Why?? This is a genuine question, not an attempt at sarcasm.

You have to click on that link above, read the whole stinking bill, and look at the tab called "money trail" and it shows a list of interests supporting and opposing this bill. And it shows a list of congressmen supporting and opposing this bill, and it shows what party they are with.

See, this is the list of organizations that support this bill. Are we talking about different bills? And when are they even going to vote on it, anyway?

Am I looking at the wrong bill?

Interests that support this bill:
◦Animal feed & health products

◦Communications & Electronics

◦Book, newspaper & periodical publishing

◦Greeting card publishing

◦Printing and publishing (printed & online)

◦Entertainment Industry/Broadcast & Motion Pictures

◦Cable & satellite TV production & distribution

◦Movie Theaters

◦Motion Picture production & distribution

◦TV production & distribution

◦Recorded Music & music production

◦Electronics manufacturing & services

◦Computer software

◦Optical services (glasses & contact lenses)

◦Health care products

◦Pharmaceutical manufacturing

◦Auto manufacturers

◦Auto repair

◦Truck/Automotive parts & accessories

◦Chambers of commerce

◦Small business associations

◦Wine & distilled spirits manufacturing

◦Department, variety & convenience stores

◦Management consultants & services

◦Professional sports, arenas & related equip & svcs

◦Recreation/Entertainment

◦Clothing & accessories

◦Toiletries & cosmetics

◦Office machines

◦Shoes & leather products

◦Sporting goods sales & manufacturing

◦Jewelry

◦Police & firefighters unions & associations

◦Labor Unions

◦Entertainment unions

◦Consumer groups

◦Courts & Justice System

Basically any group that is controlled by the 1% will support the bill.

The internet allows people to gather information from sources outside of the corporate controlled media and it enables people to communicate around the world which brings the 99% together.

The 1% does not want to see a united and empowered 99% because then they would lose all the power they have over us.

Their power and privalege exists for as long as they can can control us.

The internet is a threat to their control so they will try to control the internet. They will dress up their restrictive laws as anything from copyright to anti terror moves but in reality they simply want to control what you can learn.

If they control what information you get then they can create your perception of reality, much like someone chained in Plato's cave

Reactions: Blind Bandit