The concept of "tolerance" | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

The concept of "tolerance"

What do tolerance and intolerance mean, literally? The first is "I don't like or approve of it, but I can stand it." The second is "I don't like or approve of it, and I can't stand it". It seems to me like they are almost the same thing, just to different degrees... I think it's possible to be intolerant without taking away the right of others, right? Let's say you really don't like a group of people, don't want to work with them, and can't even tolerate them. Maybe you would choose to walk away yourself. Just because you can't stand being around people doesn't mean it will necessarily elicit bad actions towards them, even if you might offend them by your dislike of them.

I think the common use of "intolerant" in our culture now is to describe someone who has a negative opinion towards a group that most other people like, or couldn't find any sense in disliking. Ironically, this difference of opinion is shunned. It makes sense... I mean, if everyone really likes carrots and doesn't understand why someone might not like carrots, because, well, there really is no reason to not like carrots... even if everyone is entitled to their own opinion, someone being adverse to carrots might cause harm towards the carrots that we all love so dearly!! We also happen to place value in our virtuous loving of carrots. So if you don't like carrots, well, at least stfu you intolerant person... because that's really just fucked up. You had better not let anyone know that you dislike carrots, even if you may admit that your dislike isn't based on any logical reasoning and is really unempathetical. We will still frame you as a social pariah.

For the purpose of this thread, let us assume that I believe that Jews are parasites, people with black colored skin are inferior to those with white skin, and bisexual people are perverted sex addicts.

These would be my opinions.

Could I said to be intolerant simply for holding these opinions? If not, then to what degree would I be allowed to act on these opinions before I was considered intolerant? If I spoke them out loud to other people would that make me intolerant? If I created a thread on a forum to share them with other people, would that make me intolerant? If I refused service to someone or refused to hire or provide housing to someone based on these opinions but I did not share this opinion with them, would I be considered intolerant?

Furthermore, what does it mean to be intolerant? Why is it inherently bad? People are intolerant to child molesters and bank robbers. At what point is intolerance unjustified? Is the concept of tolerance way overblown in our modern society?

It would make you racist and bigoted, not intolerant unless you physically couldn't stand to be in the same room as one of the aforementioned groups.

Tolerance is either:
1. The gap in between your convictions and your actions;
2. or, the degree to which you are willing to compromise/relinquish your convictions.

Tolerance is the only method we'd stop killing each other. Tolerance does not mean acceptance, but tolerating another human being with different attributes than yourself or your "group", "community" or "tribe" increases your chances of survival. Instead of hunting alone, hunt in a group.

In that respect, Tolerance becomes relative, not absolute. It should never be absolute. You tolerate what is beneficial to the collective only. This is the reason why you can't extend the concept to pedophiles, child molesters, honor killings, psychopaths, etc. It endangers society and puts the future at risk. However, without Tolerance you would be facing extinction.

Think of it as the most ancient and primitive form of Diplomacy.

Last edited: