The case for George W Bush | INFJ Forum

The case for George W Bush

GracieRuth

Permanent Fixture
Aug 19, 2011
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
I know there will be a few in here whose immediate reaction will be "No Way! Bush is NOT like me!!!" I would like for this thread to stay away from politics, and stick with typology, and hopefully we can approach the subject with open minds, remembering that NF's have the most complex personalities, and that because we tend to protect and hide much of ourselves, we are the hardest type to spot.

I could not track down any valid source which stated Bush's type (although there are innumerable sites that speculate). The only thing everyone seems to agree upon is that he is a hard core J. Everything else is open to debate, so let's at it. :D

One of the problems with this sort of thing is that every individual seems to home in on one or more aspects to traits as being the essense, when in fact the reliability of the MBTI is the fact that it has so very many questions, so that if 4 questions throw you off or are exceptions for you, that the other six questions will properly identify your trait. One website I visited stated that Bush was a Sensor based on his "living in the moment" and used parties and sports as evidence. But using that as the measure, *I* would be considered a sensor -- I think we are happier living in the moment and have tried to cultivate this in myself from a very young age, and I also have many Sensing types of hobbies such as doing my nails or cooking gourmet (you should smell my spice cabinet). However, I score as a hardcore iNtuitive. All this to say I hope we can all be tolerant of divergent opinions in this thread, and let's listen to each other and see if we don't say "hmmmmmmmm."

Okay let's get to the nitty gritty. When I remember the Bush presidency, the one characteristic that overwhelms all others is that he would stand his ground even if all the world be against him. THAT, I think, is an NF trait. I see it in Obama as well. Like all traits, it has an up side and a down side. The up side is that such a person will even defy authority if the authority is asking of them something that violates their conscience. These are the folks that hid Jews in WW2, who refused to press the button during the Milgram research. They have a certain nobility. But the downside is that they often lack what I call the "reality check," the kind of pragmatism that realizes something isn't working and is willing to change. It includes a certain difficulty with compromise, an essential trait for anyone in democratic politics. Where most politicians will realize, "I have to give in on this issue in order to get what I want on that issue," the idealist will stick to his/her guns, and clog up the workings of the legislature. I see all of this in Bush. Basically, Bush and Obama have very different ideals, but similar idealistic traits. I might even suggest that it's idealists who either loved Bush or absolutely despised him -- the conflict of ideals, NOT a difference in temperament.

The room floor is now open for discussion!

Well, as far as his presidential decisions are concerned, I'm kind of doubtful that those were personality-based in any way.

IDK what any of the "whys" are to the things that he did so I dont think I can say one way or another. To refer to the OPs statement: Why was he standing his ground? Could be for S, N, T, or F reasons.

IDK what any of the "whys" are to the things that he did so I dont think I can say one way or another. To refer to the OPs statement: Why was he standing his ground? Could be for S, N, T, or F reasons.

+1 He's also an extrovert.

I begin with the idea that most people mean what they say, if you just listen carefully. Bush talked a lot about democracy, spreading democracy, protecting democracy... it's pretty safe to say that his vision of democracy was a driving motivation. He also pegged islamic fascism as the current worldwide threat to democracy, although he labeled it "terrorism," so as not to bias people against ordinary muslims. I'd say I've summed up about 80% of what did as motivated by this ideal.

Of course, anyone who begins with the idea that "Bush lied all the time" will have missed this, since most of the stuff he said would go in one ear and out the other as being of no consequence. I know that if I think someone is a liar, I usually tune them out too.

I think its pretty tough to peg him down based on who he was at the podium or by his policies, his speeches were written for him, his policies came from his cabinet and his advisors. THe president isnt the guy running stuff merely the spokesman for the few hundred people who he brings into the administration to run things.

From what I read about him and saw in candid interviews where he was just being himself he seemed very outgoing, very party/fun oriented and very Feelerish. I would pin him down as maybe an ESFJ or ESTP or something like that.

Well, as far as his presidential decisions are concerned, I'm kind of doubtful that those were personality-based in any way.

True. I can't scrounge up the name anywhere, but Bush had an adviser that was a follower of Ken Wilber (The founder of Integral Theory) and took many of those lessons and applied them to Bush's administration and politics. (He also aided other presidents as well)

For those that aren't familiar with it, Integral Theory was developed by philosopher Ken Wilber as a way of describing "everything". In practice, it's a way of looking at two sides to an argument, or weighing opposing views and understanding the foundations for each before drawing a conclusion, if one is even able to be drawn. In politics and leadership:

The term "Integral leadership" is a style of leadership that attempts to integrate other major styles of leadership. In "style" terms, integral leadership is an approach to influence that involves understanding 'where people are' (their mindsets, values, goals, capabilities and situational dynamics) and then interacting with them in a way that is appropriate and helpful given 'where they are'.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ken_Wilber

http://integral-review.org/documents/Whats Integral About Leadership 1, 2005.pdf

G. W. himself wasn't a scholar or follower of this theory but he understood its value, which is why he "hired" an expert on the subject to help with his administration. Most of what I'm seeing the OP point out, is a result of this. In a nutshell, the "NF" characteristic in Bush was an illusion someone else planted.

Okay. And you think this because..... ???

He talks without thinking. Obama's an introvert and it's clear by the way he speaks; very slow and concise like he's meticulously choosing his words. Bush just threw shit out there.

"My answer is bring them on." --on Iraqi insurgents attacking U.S. forces, Washington, D.C., July 3, 2003

What evidence is there that he is an introvert? The guy loved being in front of people and thought he was the funniest fucker on the planet by deviating from his speech. I mean if he's an introvert, so are Palin and Bachmann. But they just can't shut up, nor do they think before they speak. Watch the video where Palin tries to describe Paul Revere's ride. He's one of those people we call "young souls" thinking you can own the place just by shooting shit and being rich. Uh-uh. No.

There's just absolutely no way that Bush is an introvert and I'd type him more along the lines of ESFP because he's most likely a feeler considering he doesn't seem to have any sort of consistently rational thought but he's not an irrational T. If he was an Fe dom, Katrina would have been dealt with better and he'd pry be a liberal. I see more Fi in his decision making using with me or against me type logic thinking that his perspectives and beliefs are the only one's that matter (an extreme case, not all Fi users are like this). I see Se dom because he's just kind of "there", not really doing anything. Se doms are cool and all but I don't want the head of a country to be just along for the ride.

Good response bickelz. This is the sort of response I was hoping for more of.

I'm an introvert, I 100% as an introvert on the MBTI. But actually Bush used to crack me up because he reminded me so much of ME the way he'd make up new words or think so fast that two words would combine before he could choose which one to utter. I'm very well known for my improvisation, although it helps me to have an outline when speaking publicly. And everyone who knows me THINKS I'm an extrovert because that is my public persona and I do it very well. Then after I've acted as an extrovert for two hours at choir practice, I go home and recharge by reading a book LOL.

BTW, I don't characterize feelers as irrrational. Good reasoning is more related to intelligence than temperament.

Thank you for a thoughtful answer!